Internet disconnects every hour

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
matthelps
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Internet disconnects every hour

Thanks for the reply. Tried a brand new wifi router on it with the hitron in bridge mode, made no difference. Wasted money buying a new router... so close to going to Bell.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yeah.. wish i could be more more help.. other than i know my was eventually resolved... so it is 'fixable' per say in the long run.

If you can, i would try returning the wireless router, if you are not going to keep using it. (depending on which gateway you have, you may get better wireless performance PERIOD with it).

In the end, you got to do, what you have to do... even if that means switching.
Unfortunately you can have these sorts of things, no matter which carrier you are with sometimes. 😞   But maybe bell is better in your area.
I know where i am, similar max bell speeds to as you listed.. for me, i can deal with the ocasional problem, where its stable the rest of the time... vs i know the lower max speed would not meet my regular needs.

Good luck!

matthelps
I've Been Here Awhile

me again.

Rogers replaced my modem with a third unit last night a Hitron GCN3. I left my game connected, eve online, since 7am this morning and it was still connected whtn I got home tonight. I was also able to play last night for 3 hours and I haven't been able to stay connected to do that for more then 60 mins since dec 1st. So I am hoping its fixed now. Weird thing is I have a new 174.xx external ip number now. Whereas with rogers I have always had a 99.xx for years.

thanks for reading.

Hogwash
I'm a Senior Contributor

Yes it really is amazing how Rogers always resorts to swapping modems for these 'Miracle' fixes.

This leaves us with only 2 possible scenarios:

-The CGN3 is a completely inferior and worthless piece of hardware that no ISP should use OR

-That there is absolutely nothing wrong with the CGN3 and the entire fault lies with Rogers network and/or firmware updates.

Yea I know, this post is total "Hogwash"
Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

While the unit is not GREAT by any means, I am more sure it's back end 😞
Good luck getting them to admit it 😛

danielao
I've Been Here Awhile

Every hour for two weeks so far for me.

Better believe I'll be paying 0 dollars for my internet bill this month.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello danielao

I would suggest doing that. If you fail to pay the bill and let it keep going, it will be going to the collections department and they will ruin your credit and shut your services off.

I would suggest calling into Rogers, speak to a manager and see if they can offer a discount of some sort for all this.
matthelps
I've Been Here Awhile

my advice for this issue, I know its maddening I have been through it, is to keep a record of the disconnects and call rogers every day/night. I still dont know why or how mine is fixed now other then I have the newer hitron model which has two usb 3.0 ports on the back and is a dual band 5ghz and 2.4 ghz wifi. You need to complain to a manager and if necessary escalate the issue past a manager. I firmly believe my service has change on the backend in some way but Rogers would likely never disclose this info. I do know I have a 174.xx ip address now whereas I had a 99.xx for years. Maybe they just ran out of 99.xx and now are using 174.xx but the tech who installed my last hitron said not many people in my area have that model. The usb 3.0 was my first hint that its a newer model.

If I can help with any questions let me know.

Matt

toysareforboys
I Plan to Stick Around

I've been having this problem since Friday, or at least I first noticed it on Friday.

I called Rogers. The agent said she received a technical bulletin on Thursday:

"All SMC and Hiltron modems are having a problem with ultra short WAN DHCP lease times (60 minutes), causing very slight interuptions in internet service every 60 minutes."

I connected into my "router", checked the WAN tab and sure enough...

Connection Uptime 0:29:12 

WAN DHCP Lease Time Remaining: 0:31:48

Yay 😞

The problem is supposed to be corrected no later then Sunday.

In the mean time I set my router to a static IP (the same IP rogers gave me by dhcp) and it seems to have corrected the problem for now.

-Jamie M.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Wow, an actual addition of the problem. That's rare 😛
I get the occasion one since mine was fixed, usually at the 60 some hour mark, but only once, not every hour and its during the day when him not home, So I can live with that.
I don't think its a firmware change on the gateway, so guessing its something they need to fix their end