cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet disconnects every hour

Kaie
I've Been Here Awhile

Hi,

In the last week the internet has been disconnecting every hour for a few minutes.  My husband and I play World of Warcraft and its very frustrating to be disconnected every 60 mins for up to a few minutes.  We started to keep track of when we disconnect and its exactly every 60 minutes.  At first we thought it might be the new expansion but we are starting to think that this is a Rogers issue, since the game disconnects along with the internet.  We are at our wits end and are very frustrated with the service.  We have been with Rogers for quite a few years and every call we make we are told that everything is fine and that it must be on our end.  We have very good gaming computers, so we know its not the computers since both will disconnect at the same time.  We are seriously considering switching ISP since we have read that Rogers throttles WoW as well.

We have the SMCD3GN modem/router.

Is anyone else having this issue?  Any solutions??

***edited labels***

131 REPLIES 131

Re: Internet disconnects every hour

Xaponz
I've Been Here Awhile

Like the title suggests, my internet stops working for about 1-2 minutes every hour precisely at the 48th minute. Like 4:48, 5:48, 6: 48 etc. im using the CGN 2 (black and red one, not the cisco). My desktop is hardwired through ethernet and everything else is wireless, but we only have maybe 2-3 devices connected to the internet at any given time, so we know we aren't putting too much strain on the service. Not very good with technical stuff so if someone could help me out it would be great.

Also called support twice, they said it could be fixed on their end both times, yet it still happens. Tried to switch modems and literally the 3 stores i went to locally had no modem of the same model in stock, only the upgrade, that i can't pay because the bill is absurdly high as it is.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

That its th exact time on the after the hour..

I am GUESSING it is what we have seen here before.. i have experienced it myself last year.

From my understanding, it seems to go on for people, while they are doing back end maintenance in that area (upgrades to the network).

Seems to have taken 2-3 weeks for most peoples to clear up though 😞

Xaponz
I've Been Here Awhile

Would switching to the newest modem change things? I'm willing to pay the extra $4 a month for a single month, then switch back to the old one if it would work. I have been trying to be very patient the past few days and i don't want to be that one customer that just complains and gives everyone a hard time, but disconnecting EVERY hour is getting a little ridiculous for gaming and comfort.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Its POSSIBLE? not not necessarily 😞

JoP123
I've Been Around

It's getting extremely irritating. Our wireless connection keeps dropping after every hour on the dot, at the same time.. At :04..so 1:04, 2:04, 3:04..It does this constantly, and it never stops..Sometimes the connection doesn't come back for about ten minutes.

Do you have wired connections that do the same?  Have you checked the DHCP Lease Time to see if it happens to be set for one hour?  If it is set for 1 hour, set it for something like 1 week. 

Can you also navigate to the DOCSIS WAN page in the modem and copy the downstream and upstream tables and paste them into this thread.  Those are the RG6 cable power levels and signal to noise ratios.  Its always worth doing a quick check to see if there is anything amiss.