Internet disconnects every hour

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kaie
I've Been Here Awhile

Internet disconnects every hour

Hi,

In the last week the internet has been disconnecting every hour for a few minutes.  My husband and I play World of Warcraft and its very frustrating to be disconnected every 60 mins for up to a few minutes.  We started to keep track of when we disconnect and its exactly every 60 minutes.  At first we thought it might be the new expansion but we are starting to think that this is a Rogers issue, since the game disconnects along with the internet.  We are at our wits end and are very frustrated with the service.  We have been with Rogers for quite a few years and every call we make we are told that everything is fine and that it must be on our end.  We have very good gaming computers, so we know its not the computers since both will disconnect at the same time.  We are seriously considering switching ISP since we have read that Rogers throttles WoW as well.

We have the SMCD3GN modem/router.

Is anyone else having this issue?  Any solutions??

***edited labels***

Chris
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Internet disconnects every hour

Are you hardwired to the router or wireless? Is there anything you can think of that happens every hour? Maybe a timer for something electronic in the house goes off which might cause some interference.

Are you using rogers DNS or a third party dns such as google?
Kaie
I've Been Here Awhile

We are hardwired.  Nothing in the house is on a timer.  And I believe we are using Rogers DNS since I am not sure what that is.  Smiley Frustrated

Chris
I'm a Senior Advisor

A lot of Rogers problems come from poor DNS servers. Check this out: https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/

There are some downsides to not using rogers DNS like it not knowing local servers, but really most people find it all much faster/better.
Kaie
I've Been Here Awhile

I will have to check that out. 

I have kept track of the DC's and its beens 10:24am, 11:24am, 12:24pm and just now 1:24pm.

Chris
I'm a Senior Advisor

very weird..
chrisu91
I'm Here A Lot

You're not alone: http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/thread-id/3129...

Been dealing with these hourly disconnects since mid-September and Rogers fails to acknowledge the issue and appears unwilling to help. I think it's time to start looking at other providers because the $100 a month we pay for Internet isn't enough for them to bother looking into it.
Chris
I'm a Senior Advisor

maybe try out the cisco modem, I have it in bridge mode and an apple airport for the router and I have not noticed issues.. 

Well there have been a couple random what seem like disconnects but they are very breif and not hourly like you are experiencing.

chrisu91
I'm Here A Lot

SMC modem was purchased outright. Simply cannot be swapped out.
Chris
I'm a Senior Advisor

There still might be a chance to swap under warranty.. I've heard of people doing it with digital boxes so maybe it will work for modems too.