cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet disconnects every hour

Kaie
I've Been Here Awhile

Hi,

In the last week the internet has been disconnecting every hour for a few minutes.  My husband and I play World of Warcraft and its very frustrating to be disconnected every 60 mins for up to a few minutes.  We started to keep track of when we disconnect and its exactly every 60 minutes.  At first we thought it might be the new expansion but we are starting to think that this is a Rogers issue, since the game disconnects along with the internet.  We are at our wits end and are very frustrated with the service.  We have been with Rogers for quite a few years and every call we make we are told that everything is fine and that it must be on our end.  We have very good gaming computers, so we know its not the computers since both will disconnect at the same time.  We are seriously considering switching ISP since we have read that Rogers throttles WoW as well.

We have the SMCD3GN modem/router.

Is anyone else having this issue?  Any solutions??

***edited labels***

131 REPLIES 131

Re: Internet disconnects every hour

Hey i dont wana say your not right, but it wouldnt have anything to do with the work done in yur area, because everyone accross canada is experiencing it.....the reason it is happining is bcuz of the rogers DNS it is all messed up.....your lucky it doesnt affect ur speed at night like it does for most people. Anyways i switched to googles free DNS and i never experience disconnects anymore ever. hope this helps.....also i would call rogers and tell them you would like to speak to the CAT team an they will get you results

Same thing for me on CoD, but it only happened if I was in a match, not a lobby.

kw_martin17
I've Been Here Awhile

This is a Rogers problem due to on-going changes. These changes cause packet losses. Because I heavily use streaming music (Sonos - highly recommended excellent system), this was immediately apparent to me when it occurred (in Mississauga) starting Nov. 23. It is easily checked by doing a Start->Run->cmd to get a command window and then typing ping -t google.com. If you get "Request Time Outs", you are having packet losses. Also going to pingtest.net and running a number of pingtests will show sporadic results. Doing a speedtest.net test will not necessarily show the problem unless the speedtest happens during a disconnect time. We (myself and my wife) spent altogether around a day (altogether) trying to address this problem (for example, 3 hours on a Saturday afternoon with a technician who verified the problem, but could not fix it); again, 5-8 pm on the following Monday evening waiting for a second technician that didn't show; more time on the phone verifying a second time that there was a packet loss issue. After this phone call, Rogers throttled our download speed (we are paying for extreme) down to 1Mbs (we still had 2Mbs upload speed), without telling us. We had a third technician scheduled to come Friday, Dec. 7, two weeks after the problem started. At 5:45 a.m., before exercise, I verified the problem still existed. At 6:45 a.m. , after exercise, I checked and the problem had disappeared; we now had 70-90 Mbs download speed, and no packet loss. We cancelled the technician. My speculation is: Rogers is swapping equipment. During the swaps, the headends can not handle the number of users, especially at peak times, and often intermittent disconnects occur. This goes on in area to area as they are upgrading, with some areas being affected more than others. They either are not communicating this to their technicians, or are telling their technicians to play dumb. Too bad for the time loss of their customers. This is, of course, just speculation, but I do resent all the unnecessary time lost; and there was nothing at our side that caused the problem, or corrected it. On a positive note, three successive speedtests: 69.3/2.00, 92.3/2.00, and 89.2/2.00 Mbs; the new equipment is fast.

mart0091
I Plan to Stick Around

Ottawa area has been having this issue too.
frequest disconnects, NOTHING showing up on the Rogers side:  Just arguementative techs saying nothing is wrong, it's my hardware, etc...
4 modem swaps says it's not the modem.  Disconnect from computer, and STILL getting drops says it's not my network card.
I have no router, so, not a router issue (yet, i've been asked, a few times, to remove the router, by techs who've been told I don't have one: Latest one was "Mike" on chat support)

Internittent issue.  Check modem logs for the errors around disconnect time.
usual IP is 192.168.100.1 (at least for thesurfboard and Webstar modems)

Just spent 45 minutes trying to get a tech (1st one disconnected, cause I went AFK after 10 minutes while he was doing notes. Came back after 2 and he terminated chat.
I get the "call support when it disconnects".. trouble is, dialing in takes longer than the outage, and they give it the "all clear"

Maddening, with the intermittant issue, and no one doing anything about it.

s_terrazzano
I've Been Around

I have had this issue a few times over the past few years.  When the problem arises, internet disconnects every 60 minutes from the time the modem had booted up.  Though, not every app is affected.  I have a streaming market datafeed and a livestream audofeed that manages to stay connected while everything else is dropped. When I get tech support on the line, they claim my connection is down though it isn't fully.  I reboot modem and its fine until 60 minutes later.

I first had this issue a couple years ago, then a year later, but most recently, it is three times in the past 4 weeks.  They ask the same pointless questions (what do you have plugged into modem, is it plugged into power bar...) Next, send out technician to test (nothing), replace modem (nothing), push issue to technical support level 2, and connection is fine the next day.  But it has never been expalined to me what the issue was/is. I am currently suffering this issue again and I have a scheduled visit for tomorrow.  Guys have been here so many times they recognize me by face.

BTW, I've switched DNS servers as recommended and while it is a faster web experience, this was not the source of my disconnect problem.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd appreciate them.

Edit: talked about this so much I'm sick, and neglected to add some info.

1. Modems: I have replaced my modem 4-5 times over this period (on their insistance) but it has NEVER resolved the issue.  Issue immediately reappears upon new modem coming online.

2. On the first visit, all my cabling and connectors were replaced.  As a result my signal strentgth is good to excellent.  Even right now, there is no sign of any problem via modem diagnostics or dvr diagnostics, yet the expected disconnect happened right on cue.

3.  Rogers support system is broken.  They catalogue info on these calls and visits but nobody is able to retrieve the details.  It seems these would be vital information for the people trying to conduct support.  Either they aren't trained to look for it or the system is lacking the ability.

This has been happening to me now for the last week. Internet disconnects every hour for between 1-5 minutes. The time of day is irrelevant it's every 60 minutes from the last modem reboot.

I had an SMC modem. Called tech support and despite his assertion that it was "80% a problem with the modem" and my assertion that it was "80% a problem with rogers" I took in the SMC modem and they gave me a hitron. It still disconnects every hour. It's clearly not the modem.

They have a tech guy coming tomorrow but I'm not sure what he'll be able to determine since the service is good for 57 minutes of every hour. It's the few minutes downtime every hour which is much more of a hassle than it sounds.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Dwckayton,

How are you using the smc/hitron?

Are you using it by itself? If you have not tried, it would be worth putting it in bridged mode attaching a 3rd party router to it. Some who have experienced these drops have found they stop when doing this.

RDL67
I've Been Here Awhile

I'm having lag spikes, wouldn't go so far as to call them disconnects but the internet cuts out frequently a few seconds at a time.  I play diablo 3 where internet speed matters.  I have not successfully completed a single ping test since two Fridays ago.  This problem started last summer and somewhat resolved itself after about 5 useless tech visits to the house.  Funny how Rogers will be willing to waste money on that instead of acutally solving the problem.  I plan to call them later today, where they no doubt will schedule another useless tech visit.

Azuri21
I Plan to Stick Around

@RDL67 wrote:

I'm having lag spikes, wouldn't go so far as to call them disconnects but the internet cuts out frequently a few seconds at a time.  I play diablo 3 where internet speed matters.  I have not successfully completed a single ping test since two Fridays ago.  This problem started last summer and somewhat resolved itself after about 5 useless tech visits to the house.  Funny how Rogers will be willing to waste money on that instead of acutally solving the problem.  I plan to call them later today, where they no doubt will schedule another useless tech visit.

Don't waste your time calling them. You won't be any farther ahead see my reply to your post in the other thread.

I'm not getting disconnects just major lag and timeouts. **bleep** even trying to get Rogers site is like being on Dial-Up LOL.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Rdl67, your d3 issue is there is a node down between Rogers and blizzard. It's effected many players around the world.

Unfortunately out blizz or Rogers hands, as its not owned by them.

Frazzled
I'm a Reliable Contributor

The bottom line is simple! All of these problems will continue until Rogers comes to their sense and provides a decent modem!  It really is time to get on their case!

@Gdkitty wrote:
Dwckayton,

How are you using the smc/hitron?

Are you using it by itself? If you have not tried, it would be worth putting it in bridged mode attaching a 3rd party router to it. Some who have experienced these drops have found they stop when doing this.

Hi Gdkitty,

I had the SMC until yesterday when I replaced it with the Hitron...both rented from Rogers. A tech also came today and replaced parts in our condo and at the condo cable room but the 1 hour disconnect still occurs. I just spoke with rogers online chat and the response is that since a tech came in and the signal is good there's "nothing much we can do from here". 

They did suggest I try the bridge/router thing but I'm not sure I want to buy a router just to eliminate another possibility.

Frankly, at this point it sounds like it would just be easier to switch.

Thanks!

Frazzled
I'm a Reliable Contributor

@dwckayton wrote:
They did suggest I try the bridge/router thing but I'm not sure I want to buy a router just to eliminate another possibility

Actually, bridging your modem is the only viable solution with the garbage equipment provided by Rogers. At least you got an admission from Rogers that there is nothing else they can do with their own equipment which is more than most people get from Rogers. There are one or two honest techs though who work for Rogers.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Dwckayton,

Just be wary of who you switch too.
Both forms of bell, use only gateway devices as well. Though different brands, MOST gateways usually get similar reviews as the ones Rogers use. (I have dealt with 2 different bell dsl ones which are just as bad)

Bridging is often the first choice on most gateways. Most under preform on the wireless end amongst other things, and alot of people end up adding their own routers to get that performance.

If you want to try the bridging, buy the router from a place with a 30 day return policy, give it a shot, and if no change then you can always return it.

So I disabled the router so that my desktop is essentially connected to a modem only. After restarting the modem I got a new IP address since it's essentially my desktop asking for the IP which has a different MAC address than the router. 

But this stands out now that I can more properly see what's going on since the diagnostics on the router are garbage.

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : June-30-13 10:12:50 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : June-30-13 11:12:50 PM

Rogers only gave me an hour long lease. If it was also only giving the router an hour long lease do you think that would cause the disconnect every hour?

Another update: Over 1 hour now and no disconnect. And my desktop is showing me that the lease is being properly extended before it expires (it was updated to a longer time sometime before 11:12:50 which was the previous expire time).

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : June-30-13 10:12:50 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : July-01-13 12:12:55 AM

If it is the router part of the gateway it just seems odd that it started happening a week ago after years of running smoothly with no changes (unless they did a remote firmware update which I'll check). It also seems odd that both the SMC gateway and the Hitron gateway don't work.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
This is where bridging seems to help people with this issue. I believe the router acts much like your PC does and extends the lease properly.

Posting some more evidence in case someone sees this in the future for comparison:

I was on a Skype call today when the disconnect occurred. At the hour the internet went down Skype greyed out, I was unable to connect to websites, and I couldn't make a new telnet connection. However, my skype call was fine and continued with the other caller acknowledging conversation after the internet failure (to prove it wasn't just lagged conversation on his end).

So I have a new thoery based on this:

1) At 1 hour something happens which stops new internet connections from occurring and I'm guessing application heartbeats (eg. Skype main app).

2) Even after that existing perstistent connections (eg. peer-to-peer, persistent socket to a server) are fine. If you're playing an online game for example the game will continue to work.

3) The loss of new connectivity causes the gateway to ask for a new connection/lease and at that point everything dies until it reconnects 1-2 mins later.

I had previously thought the disconnect was a one-time abrupt failure.

As mentioned before whatever happens only occurs when using the router in the gateway but not when it's modem-only directly to my desktop. 

Travigat
I've Been Around

Hi guys. I've actually had the same problem and have found what seems to be a legitimate solution! Just follow these steps and you should be good to go 🙂

1. Reset your modem/router to it's default settings. In other words a "hard reset". Make sure you can connect to the modem/router with an ethernet cord, as wireless will not recognize any password given. Also, be sure to have a backup "connect"  USB stick in case the router defects to an unknown source.

2. When the modem/router is restored, plug your ethernet cord in the main computer/laptop. You will now log in using your preferred browser and enter a few settings.

3. Type in the internet browser 192.168.0.1 (usually the default for Hitron modems, check your IP number based on the modem/router you have). The username will be "cusadmin" and the password is "password"

4. You won't be changing anything too difficult, only settings that affect the "time-outs" the modem/router experiences. So in your Basic Setup column, search for the "Time Setting" tab. You'll notice that the checked default setting adjusts to Daylight Saving time. Instead, tick the "Change Timezone" box under ToD Setting and select the timezone you are currently in. This way, the modem/router won't adjust to a default of 60 minutes (usually when disconnects occur). Click apply if needed.

5. Under the WLAN/LAN column, the first page will read IP. Scroll down until you see "Private LAN DHCP Setting" (I understand LAN means Local Area Connection, but this will also work for a wireless connection). Make sure it's enabled, and switch the "Lease Time" to something past 1 day (I set mine to 1 week). Click apply and wait for the modem/router to reboot.

6. Under the Wireless column, leave everything to its defaults. Change the SSID to any name you prefer (this is your connection name), and switch to the "Security" tab. Enter any passcode you wish into the "Pre-shared key" box. Apply and close when you are all finished.

In my experience, these small corrections have so far erased the hourly disconnections. If anyone uses this method and your connection is back to normal, tick that like button or leave a reply! 🙂

fixplease
I've Been Here Awhile

Anyone have a solution for the SMCD3GN router.

When I do a hard boot on the router, this is the new time when I get the disconnects so if I reboot on the hour then every hour it goes down.

help......

googlefiberplz
I've Been Around

My internet has been disconnecting intermittently every hour at about 44 past for about 30 seconds then reconnects. then does it again in another hour. I've spoken to customer service on the phone who told me that everything was fine on their end. I then had my modem and cabe wiring replaced by a tech and the issue still persisted. I also ran multiple ping tests to my modem, the results of which were timeout errors saying "Level: critical, content no ranging response received-T3 Time-out," which is basically saying that Rogers is not sending the internet, clearly indicating that the issue is on Rogers end. According to the research I've done, this seems to be an issue with the Cable Modem Termination Systems - something that is fixable on Rogers end, but apparently is an expensive fix.

I had Roger's internet for years with no problem. even with the new modem i had for 6 months. it worked perfectly. Then about a week ago i called up to get my Rogers Cable TV canceled because i don't really watched TV much anymore. THAT is when the problems started happening. coincidence? Who knows!! All i know is if this problem persists, I am switching my internet providers to teksavvy.

modem - the Hitron CDE-30364.
WIRED - yes.

TIMES OF DISCONNECT -
1:38
2:38
3:38
4:38
---------
5:38
6:38
-----
10:46
12:46
-------
4:43
8:43

this is what i recorded. Gave up after finding it does it every hour, every day, every week.