cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet disconnects every hour

Kaie
I've Been Here Awhile

Hi,

In the last week the internet has been disconnecting every hour for a few minutes.  My husband and I play World of Warcraft and its very frustrating to be disconnected every 60 mins for up to a few minutes.  We started to keep track of when we disconnect and its exactly every 60 minutes.  At first we thought it might be the new expansion but we are starting to think that this is a Rogers issue, since the game disconnects along with the internet.  We are at our wits end and are very frustrated with the service.  We have been with Rogers for quite a few years and every call we make we are told that everything is fine and that it must be on our end.  We have very good gaming computers, so we know its not the computers since both will disconnect at the same time.  We are seriously considering switching ISP since we have read that Rogers throttles WoW as well.

We have the SMCD3GN modem/router.

Is anyone else having this issue?  Any solutions??

***edited labels***

131 REPLIES 131

Re: Internet disconnects every hour

Brooklin_user
I've Been Here Awhile

I have not determined if it is that regular specifically but it is pretty often.

Bottom line is that the D3 modems are a ***. When will Rogers finally understand this simple concept?

***edited for content

Warpcore
I've Been Around

I've been reading this thread and this is my problem as well and I live in the Yonge / Finch area; I've been experiencing this since late September. I use the Cisco DPC3825 modem.

I am beginning to think the Rogers lines cannot take the traffic going through their system when everyone gets home and turns on their computers.  My problems generally appear from 6PM ish to 10PM and the internet would disconnect every 2-3 minutes and then reconnect on its own only to disconnect again.

I may ask to  swap out my modem first at Rogers and see if that will help, hopefully it will not be a waste of my time.

torton
I Plan to Stick Around

I can confirm that my modem has an outage every hour 24x a day every day.  Latest test is 70+ hours in.

I have noticed that the duration of the outage increases during the hours you'd expect the network to be busiest (6pm - 12am).

Rogers CSA's and tech's don't even know these forums exist ... no one monitors them for issues ...

Cambridge here... same issues though my son says about every 20 - 30 mins... was changing stuff up to try to help as he is trying to play xbox... then it had no network cable attached... changed that up .. all seems ok... waiting for next disconnect

torton
I Plan to Stick Around

LAN Uptime:  51h:07m:37s  ,Receiving  136457937  bytes  , Sending  241728908bytes
WAN Uptime:  09h:48m:10s  ,Receiving  269275421  bytes  , Sending  134577131bytes

Hourly reset has not occured for the past 9+ hours.  First time in weeks.

Nothing has changed here (other than I just received my new modem from my new provider).

Anyone else's system suddenly stop reconnecting every hour?

torton
I Plan to Stick Around

LAN Uptime: 64h:50m:42s ,Receiving 159567212 bytes , Sending 304162329bytes
WAN Uptime: 23h:31m:15s ,Receiving 332128098 bytes , Sending 158311221bytes

Model Name: SMCD3GN-RRR
Software Version: 3.1.4.45.2
Hardware Version: 1C

Almost 24 hours of straight uptime now. Something must have changed friday around 1pm est.  It's the same firmware version on my modem, and I did not intentionally change anything on my side of the modem.  Therefore, it was likely a change on rogers side of the modem.

I'm curious whether this correction is across all regions or just cambridge area.

torton
I Plan to Stick Around

Something artsfols said over on this thread reminded me of something.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/message-id/813...

I had a case 1 week ago where I was talking to someone through google talk (it's like skype) and my modem did its reconnect thing during the call.  My laptop showed lost connection from the wireless router to the modem BUT my voice call continued ok.  I could not explain it until the thread above.  The reconnect problem likely was tied to the rogers DNS server becoming inaccessible/non-responsive because it would explain this scenario.  The rogers tech would likely never find this from their office because they can still talk to the modem, the modem just can't resolve url queries back to ip addresses making the internet connection look useless (except for those few applications that use ip addresses direct instead of domain names).  The reconnect is likely a timeout and recovery of sorts.

If the above scenario is true then only a senior tech is going to find it, understand it, and know how to fix it.

In my modem I see a single DNS entry WAN side.  A simple work-around might be to add a secondary DNS for the scenario where the primary DNS is not reachable.  This is exactly why all systems have space for 2 DNS instead of 1.  This is the first application where I've seen only 1 of the 2 available spaces being used.  Google provides 2 domain name servers, not one.  8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.

I'm guessing that the rogers designers have redundancy behind the scenes for their primary dns but they still should have included a backup dns server as the secondary from the modem to the world.

Since the rogers modem is locked down, I cannot change the WAN side DNS entry.  Changing the modem to bridged mode and setting the DNS in your outward facing router might work.  I asked in a previous thread if anyone was already doing this.  Doesn't really matter to me anymore but I'll leave this thread entry in case it helps someone debug and resolve later.

Best of luck.

kmews
I've Been Around

I've been having the exact issues described in this thread for a couple of months. I started getting the hourly disconnects, then after a couple of weeks it went away for a couple of weeks, then returned again. I'm in St. John's and at approximately 2:30 (1 PM EST) on Friday, November 9th, it stopped resetting, and has been fine since. So, it's across all regions.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
No, it's still only select regions, as mine is fine and never done it once.

But there is more than one area effected, your being one. London ont, parts of Toronto, Ottawa area, etc

SerenityNow04
I've Been Here Awhile

I'm having the same problem. This just started two days ago. They last for less than a minute.

8:42 PM - Disconnect

9:42 PM - Disconnect

10:42 PM - Disconnect

I can't play Xbox or any online game (League of Legends) because of the disconnects.

I live in Kitchener.

erzinjc
I've Been Here Awhile

I have used rogers express for a week. But it sometimes disconnects for 3 - 8 minutes.

I try to restart the router Cisco DPC3825. Internet will have disconnection after I have used for 2-3  hours.

Is it normal? Is it the router problem?

FormerMember
I'm a Senior Advisor

Apparently, another ill advised firmware update from Rogers! Also, if it is a wireless issue, you may want to bridge the modem and use your own router - something advisable on all of the D3 gateway modems. 

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r27753653-Cisco-DPC3825-keeps-resetting

erzinjc
I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks for your quick reply. I will check the link that you give me.

sw6lee
I've Been Here Awhile

My internet is not stable either, and I have the cisco router as well.

It's a little bit better from few hours before, but the speed is not up to my usual speed. I used to get ~25mbps upstairs, but now i'm getting 12mbps, and sometimes slower. 

And I don't have any option for bridging as this is my only router, which is rented from rogers.

Also, Hitron router was VERY unstable after trying two different unit few weeks ago, so they switched it with cisco for me and it was working so well until today..

FormerMember
I'm a Senior Advisor

@sw6lee wrote:

And I don't have any option for bridging as this is my only router, which is rented from rogers.

All of the D3 modems from Rogers can be placed in bridge mode, thereby allowing you to use a router of your choice. 

That being said, according to the one poster on the other forum, he called Rogers and was told that a new firmware update had made the Cisco unstable, so this might be another issue altogether and something you will experience even if your modem is in bridge mode. 

erzinjc
I've Been Here Awhile

Do I need to call Rogers to set  bridge mode? I check Cisco DPC3825 admin. There is no way to set it. 

FormerMember
I'm a Senior Advisor

I am not familiar with all of the idiosyncrasies of all of the D3 modems. I know some people are able to log in and change the settings themselves while others will simply call Rogers and they will remotely do it for you.

Hi folks

Cambridge also.

I am on my 3rd modem.  The classic yellow flag " you have no internet connection".

I was extremely frustrated by tech support's engineering support.  It is clear that when you finally can talk to a solid technician, they are not recognized as same.  This could be due to outsourcing and walls between units, but, we, the customers, pay for these walls.

The system seemed to stabilize around the same time others reported it had done so.

Last week, problems resurfaced. I was not home to troubleshoot; however, family was prtty clear on issues.

Last night, the DNS servers were down very widespread -- KW & Mississauga were confirmed to be hit.

I have reported my concerns, along with security concerns internally to Rogers.  I will pass on this thread.

hi i was reading your problem and i was having the same one being a PS3 gamer, anyways its because of rogers DNS it is all messed up, you can go into the wireless adapter settings and change the DNS to googles freee DNS its much more consistant they are 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4   your son will have to change them on his xbox aswell to have affect unless u can set them in your wifi reuter.  You can always try rogers online tech support....you can have a tech remotely connect to your reuter and set the DNS to googles    u will have to supply him with the 2 ip's (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4). I hope it helps it sure helped me. i was getting disconnected off Call of duty every hour or more it was so frustrating.

JaclynJackson
I'm Here A Lot

People it is ROGERS DNS servers causing the problems, and connection drops....i would suggest switching to googles free DNS much better, no more dropped connections....i love it...........they are (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4). You can also you OpenDNS aswell theirs is free