Internet disconnects every hour

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Internet disconnects every hour

I just called Rogers and the guy said i shouldnt have the poblem anymore now. the settings for the internet connection or modem were all wrong he changed it. So heres to hoping that it did the trick.

Highlighted
I've Been Around

I live in Ottawa (Kanata-Bridlewood) area. I have been experiencing these problems for last 7 to 8 weeks now. Sometimes Rogers' Motorola modem would disconnect or other times the SMC Router would. Reboot seems to fix it. I've had the Motorola modem and SMC Router for last 10 years with no issues, but for the last 7-8 weeks!

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Interesting.
That area is one reported before with this issue.

But it's always with the gateways. Have not heard it with the d2 Motorola modems before.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

If anyone figures out how to fix this issue please post it here because it just continues to happen, and has for almost a week now.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Well, I have been trying these things so far:

1.  turn off your wireless

2.  change your DNS to google (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4)

haven't done this one yet, but might be giving it a go  (as I can go to a 19 ping to over 50, with speeds from 28 to 3)

3.  turn off the bridge on the router

To do any of that, you are going to have to get into your router...

http://www.thewebtechreviews.com/2011/04/02/my-frustration-with-rogers-smcd3gn-modem/

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I'm having the same issue as a lot of people. I didnt realize I wasn't connected this morning, tried to open an email attachment that came in gmail through google chrome and got this message: The server at mail.google.com can't be found, because the DNS lookup failed.

This started on Tuesday afternoon. The online light on my SMC modem stays on and steady, but there's no connection to my PC or wireless devices. Once I reboot the modem, it works again. It disconnects a few times a day and overnight.

I'm in Scarborough, near Danforth/Birchmount. Wondering if anyone else has this issue around here and if I should try changing the DNS to Google's? Does this sound like the same problem others are having? I have not contacted Rogers but I will if this seems like a different issue. Thanks!

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I've been reading further in the forums and it seems others are saying the wireless is fine with the DNS issues. Does anyone think this means this could be a problem that Rogers can help me with, or should I try the Google DNS? My modem was fine yesterday, but while the online light stayed lit, the last email I received was at 4:01 a.m. and it was still not working at 7am until I rebooted.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Fionafars - This sounds like a different issue. The original issue in this thread was related to the internet disconnecting every hour for a few seconds, and then reconnecting with no modem reboot required. Perhaps contact Rogers directly or create a new thread to see if anyone can help. I would recommend Google public DNS as an excellent alternative to the default Rogers DNS.

As far as I go, I've been seeing disconnects for about 10-30 seconds consistantly since the beginning of October. I have swapped my modem 3 times (from SMC to Hitron to Cisco), spoke with Rogers about 10 times, and had one technician come to my house (another is scheduled for Monday). I've tried disabling wireless completely, and swapping my DNS server. They have performed a maintenence request on my building and found nothing. I have suggested it's possible a DHCP issue or a problem with their system, and been quickly shut down. I've also suggested congestion, which they were quick to dismiss as well. They have told me that if the next technician does not solve the issue, that I should call back and ask to escalate the issue to the CAT team (which as far as I can tell; is about as far as you can escalate these kinds of issues).

Can anyone suggest anything else I can try? I would love to switch to bell, but my apartment is only rated for 15mbps down, 1 up on DSL, and I absolutely love the speed and service I have gotten from Rogers with the Ultimate package up until this problem started. I was really looking forward to upgrading to the new version when it becomes available in this area 😞

-edit, I should also mention that I live in Kitchener (Fairview Park Mall area)

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks csilcock,

I'm always so hesitant to call Rogers, but maybe that's the best thing to do in this case. The first day I had disconnections more frequently, but now it's not as often. I might try  a new thread first. Thanks for your advice. I hope your problem gets solved!!

Fiona

Highlighted
I've Been Around

So I've had the same problem as everyone else with the SMC Modem/Router.

The first time I fixed it, all I did as swap out the cable that was plugged into the wall, that worked for about a week but it came back shortly.

I've been trying to fix it for over a week and I think I've found the best way to do it. I've left my xbox on for a few hours now and still haven't had a timeout or disconnect. Here's what I did.

Step 1) Login to your router/modem, so by default 192.168.0.1 (username csuadmin pw is password)

Step 2) Uncheck Enable DHCP Server, it'll reboot your modem but click ok.

Step 3) After it loads up, disconnect all the devices you're using, and reconnect them to your network.  At this point any device you are using is able to obtain automatically, so you do not need the DHCP server to assign you an IP, your computer, iphone etc can do it automatically. It'll take a few more seconds than normal to connect the first time, but it'll assign it's own IP and the problem will go away. Just keep DHCP server off.