Internet disconnects every hour

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Internet disconnects every hour

I don't blame anyone who this is happening to, if they did leave. It is totaly something they need to figure out.

Luckily it's not company wide. That's a small consolation to the ones effected 😞

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Just a follow up on my post.  I switched to bridge mode but the same thing still happens - disconnect every hour at the same time (the one positive of bridge mode is that I am getting way better wifi coverage in the house - wish I had made the switch sooner).

I really do not know what my options are here in Kitchener/Waterloo but I do know I cannot go on like this with Rogers - my wife and I both work from home partially and we need constant service to be reliable.  Like some others that posted here I also enjoy online gaming in the evenings, and that has been very frustrating recently, obviously.  A couple of years ago when I was with Bell it was horrendously slow in my area, so I am not sure if much has changed there.  And if I did go with a smaller company (TekSavvy keeps getting recommended to me), wouldn't they just use this same Rogers infrastructure anyway?  So frustrated - I have been quite happy with Rogers up to this point.  But I simply do not have the time to keep talking to agents and tech repair folks who keep saying the same thing and cannot address the problem in any meaningful way.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Unfortunately, yes, if you went with techsavvy or a similar.. they would use either rogers or bell infrastructure..

SO.. you would end up with the same problems likely 😞

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Does this guy's explanation make sense to anyone?

"Here's what I think is happening: DHCP clients attempt to renew the lease about halfway through the life of the lease. A DHCPREQUEST to renew goes to the DHCP server that granted the lease, and if the lease is extended, the lease expiration time is adjusted to reflect this. There is no ipconfig /release, which drops the assigned IP address, involved, so there is no interruption in connectivity. If, after some interval, the DHCP server which granted the lease cannot be contacted, DHCPREQUESTs are sent with no server specified, and if no response is received before the lease period ends, the lease expires. At lease expiration, an ipconfig /release occurs, dropping the assigned IP and interrupting connectivity. A broadcast DHCPDISCOVER request is made for any listening DHCP server, and when a server responds, a new lease is requested (ipconfig /renew does this if no lease is active). When a new lease is granted, connectivity is restored.

I think your problematic machine for some reason can't reach the assigning DHCP server, and so cannot receive a renewal. At lease expiration, connectivity drops, and a broadcast DHCPDISCOVER request is issued. The DHCP server hears this, responds, and a new lease is negotiated. Lather, rinse, repeat.

I predict that the connectivity interruption changed in sync with your changing the lease interval. If it did not, my theory is wrong, and you can stop reading.

If the loss of connectivity event happens at the end of a lease interval, we've got to figure out why the DHCPREQUEST renewal is not getting to the DHCP server. One possibility is something wrong with the routing table on that machine. Use route print when the machine is connected, and ipconfig /all to show the lease details."

Taken from:

http://superuser.com/questions/116288/why-does-my-ethernet-connection-keep-re-connecting-only-with-w...

I'm still getting hourly disconnects. I switched adapters to see if it was my problem. I have the SMCD3GN modem. My DHCP lease is 1 week, as shown both in ipconfig and in the router settings that I access online.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

There is one other, on another thread, who did get their lease time changed.. and it appeared to have fixed for them, last i heard.  But i also have heard it DID NOT work for others 😞
So not sure if this IS the fix or not.  But worth a shot?

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I'm in Orangeville as well. Called them to complain about the drops. They told me it was my modem and I might need to bring it in to exchange it. Where do I need to bring it? Brampton! On MY dime! I was ticked...actually, I still am 🙂

The last week hasn't had drops but it has had waves of speed and slowdown which is frustrating too.  Personally, though it would never happen, I think they should be offering some discounts for their poor internet service which we pay for and is quite expensive IMHO.  When I lived in MB I had faster internet with no caps for far less money.  

If they weren't the only cable internet company in Orangeville I would be switching immediately 🙂

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

- In Cambridge, Ontario

- Been a Rogers Extreme Plus or equivalent rogers internet service customer since they started offering internet

- Own the modem (SMCD3GN)

- Modem has been failing every hour on the hour for over a week.  

Before that we had a year of decent (but not great) service and then a month of random internet failures that likely started after a recent firmware upgrade the rogers tech confirmed was pushed out to my modem just before the random failures started.  

I own the modem yet Rogers has full control over what firmware they run on it and when they push an upgrade (yet I don't).  Strange model...

I've called Rogers tech support so many times I've lost count.

Just FIRED rogers and going with an unlimited cable internet plan elsewhere with only a monthly commitment and at a lower cost.  Purchased a new modem with the new provider as well.

When I cancelled the op asked if I tried speaking to a "Senior Tech".  Seriously...

My son now has to keep track of when the internet is going to drop so his xbox live games don't fail, and we have to be careful to not do a long duration VOIP call that crosses when the internet is going to fail (eg. rogers support call).

Will be cancelling cell phones too as soon as the contracts expire in the summer 2013.  

NO MORE CONTRACTS for me regardless of cost.  It's no longer about the money.

Also... When you cancel it takes 30 days before rogers will cut over to the new cable internet provider meaning I have at least 30 more days of this crap.  Hopefully the new modem and provider won't have this issue but if so then they have a month to sort it out before I move on to DSL.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

For anyone still interested in trying to sort out what is going on, you may find this useful.  I've confirmed that every time the hourly outage occurs the WAN uptime timestamp shows that it has restarted. 

Interfaces Uptime and Traffic Count
LAN Uptime:  08h:01m:08s  ,Receiving  38441748  bytes  , Sending  50259883bytes
WAN Uptime:  00h:18m:57s  ,Receiving  55393749  bytes  , Sending  37607690bytes

To me, this seems like a classic DHCP lease expiry/renewal on the WAN side.  Every time there is an outage in my home I can still connect from any of several computers in the house through my routers and switches to the modem at ip address 192.168.0.1 no problem.

Cable Modem System Event Log

Time:01/01/70 00:00:44, Level:critical, Content:No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out; <mac id etc follows here>

Notice the epoch timestamp error.  Sometimes the timestamp is correct and sometimes it is not.  This is the same time-out error I was seeing when the random errors were occuring before the hourly outages started.

Model Name: SMCD3GN-RRR
Software Version: 3.1.4.45.2
Hardware Version: 1C

WIFI disabled but all RJ45 ports are used on the back.

QOS is disabled.  

uPnP enabled.

Signal strength cable side within spec.

Maybe you need to ask for a "Senior Tech" to get the issue resolved.  Good luck!

Update 1: Last outage reset WAN counter again but no change to system event log message.  I'm guessing the system event log message above is an unrelated issue to the hourly outages/resets.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I'm getting the exact same thing. The WAN Uptime resets, and it happens every hour. It was doing it a few weeks ago, then it stopped for like a week, and now it's doing it again since Friday. This is obnoxious, and I'm unable to use my internet properly if I'm going to disconnect every hour. This NEEDS to be fixed.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I have exactly the same problem. I play WoW aswell and it is really frustrating. I called rogers last week and they told me it all seems fine but i can bring the modem and get it replaced. we did that and well first of all the one we got has scratches over it and it hasnt changed anything. Im at the end of my nerves and if its rogers they better find out what the problem is because we all pay for it, right? but seems here a customer has nothing to say anyways. Sad but i hope they fix it.