Internet disconnects every hour

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
joeyo
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Internet disconnects every hour

Wel it seemed as of Tuesday Oct. 9th around noonish it was resolved, but that lasted barely 4 days. Here it is friday night and the 60min resets have started again.

I'm done with Rogers, I'll be cancelling and switching next week.

Donta
I Plan to Stick Around

If you are under contract and switching because of degraded service, would you still need to pay an early cancellation fee or something?

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

You would have to check the contract.. and possibly take it to a lawyer to see what the options are.. if it is something that could exclude you from it, etc.

Alot is how the contract/plan is set up..  regular houshold plans, your speeds are UP TO, and outages, etc, they will try to get you back up as soon as possible, there is no guarantee.

Compared to the BUSINESS grade, where there are SLAs, guarantees, etc.. but you pay 3x as much 😞

joeyo
I Plan to Stick Around

I had already spoken to the cancellation department a week or so ago. Under these circumstances they could not prevent me from cancelling. I don't believe my internet is under contract though, just my cable tv is. Either way I already checked to ensure I could cancel should this issue not be resolved.

I'm typing this btw, literally 15mins after the 4th tech has just left my house, and he has absolutely assured me the issue is not at my home, inside or out. He will be submitting a full report to the maintenance department, he insists they need to come out here and fix this issue, it's city wide.

hermes_x
I've Been Around

Hi.

Do you mean using the Rogers DNS is faster or using the Google DNS is?

Thanks.

EcclesBarrie
I've Been Here Awhile

I'm so glad I found this post. I thought I was going crazy!

I'm playing Guild Wars 2 and getting disconnected every 60 minutes. It's maddening. I've been corresponding with GW2 tech support and they told me to run PingPlotter. We finally "caught" one of the disconnects and he said it was my ISP that was causing the issue. 

I've tried disabling all sorts of things, including 3 different firewalls (Avast, Windows & modem). I've also run my game with GameBooster but that didn't help either.

So... is the only answer to swtich providers? I can't really do that as I share internet in a house with other people. 

Any suggestions?

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Eccless: it all depends on your setup.

What modem/gateway are you using?
Some people have found luck, if you are using the gateway, to switch it to bridged mode, and use your own 3rd party router, and it seems to stop the disconects.. but not always.

In some areas, it does seem like its a rogers backend/network issue.

tupalev
I've Been Here Awhile

I too am glad I found this post, as I was beginning to think I was crazy...

SMCD3GN, Kitchener/Waterloo, hourly disconnects since late September.  I will try bridge mode, but something has obviously happened either locally with Rogers maintenance or all of our equipment decided to start messing with us at the same time.  I own the modem and it is out of waratny coverage.  So frustrating.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I have heard of Ottawa area, and some of KW experiencing this.. at least from reports of people on here.

I know its not rogers wide.. as i have my in NON bridged mode, and do not have the problem.. but i dont live near any areas that seem to be having the issue.

Richardyoung
I've Been Here Awhile

Yep I myself am in the Ottawa area and this has been happening for what will be 5 weeks come Sunday. I also play World of Warcraft with my significant other and my brother at home every night, and getting disconnected from an online only game ever 60 minutes is unacceptable. Had the 2nd set of techs come by, check my signal, they went downstairs and boosted my signal, and I'm still having the same issues. One of the techs even said "maybe it's trying to tell you to take a break". I'm dumbfounded by the terrible customer service I've been receiving and the incompetence of Rogers technical and customer support. They're really backing me into a corner here and it's a tough decision because I've been a loyal Rogers customer for years, I don't want to cut my ties with them but at this point what choice do I have?