Internet disconnects every hour

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
FormerMember
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Internet disconnects every hour

@chrisu91 wrote:
You're not alone: http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/thread-id/3129...

Been dealing with these hourly disconnects since mid-September and Rogers fails to acknowledge the issue and appears unwilling to help. I think it's time to start looking at other providers because the $100 a month we pay for Internet isn't enough for them to bother looking into it.

It is really hard to get Rogers to acknowledge any issue. Rogers will not tell customers that the only way for the D3 modems to function with any reliability whatsoever is to have the modem put in bridge mode and use your own router, like Chris has done. The bottom line though is that Rogers will tell you to reboot the modem; they will test your signal; they will tell you to exchange the modem; the real morons at customer service might even tell you to clear your cache. They will not tell you however that the biggest problems lie with their own equipment!

On another thread, Gdkitty has also suggested another solution.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/message-id/780...

joeyo
I Plan to Stick Around

Hey Kaie,

I too have been having this issue and battling with Rogers to fix this. It started Sept. 20th, when Rogers came into town (Orangeville, Ontario) and did maintenance, and has continued since. Ive spent HOURS on the phone with agents/supervisors. Had techs out here numerous times each one indicating the issue IS NOT on my end at all. Ive had 3 tickets opened and closed, each time UNRESOLVED and each time the **bleep** engineering dept. referring that the issue is the customers end....ENUFF WITH THE NONSENSE ROGERS! ITS NOT ON OUR END!

I've HAD IT with you guys, I've already written a letter of complaint to the presidents office (what this will resolve is beyond me). Barring any resolution to this in this coming week, not only will I be cancelling my Internet but also my cable TV and home monitoring, I'll be cutting ALL ties from rogers. This has gone on long enough without a resolution and ALL started when you guys did maintenance in the area (Orangeville Ontario). Before you came in here and did watever upgrades you did, my modem was ROCK SOLID. YOU CAUSED THIS ISSUE! As you can see I'm pretty fed up, frustrated and disgruntled by the complete lack of responsibility and seriousness rogers is taking on this issue. STOP BLAMING THE CLIENT!!

If anyone here is in the Orangeville area and experiencing this 60min drop and reconnect, we need to all start voicing our complaints here to get Rogers to start taking this SERIOUS. The joke is over, fix it.

Mo_Waterloo
I've Been Around

Wow, EXACT SAME PROBLEM HERE!!

Kitchener/Waterloo area. EVery hour, disconnects on the hour for just a teeny bit of time. This is driving me insane and I pay 100$+ monthly.

ALSO, I am also using the SMCD3GN modem so...way too many similarities here. 

Please Rogers, try to fix this.

cowanh
I'm Here A Lot

Yes, I have a similar problem although it seems a bit more random than your's an it happens whether I'm in my game (iRacing) or not. I have a Cisco DPC3825 rented from Rogers cause I was blaming my router. This is a modem and router in one. It's also a DOCSYS router which has a DOCSYS log.

Each time my internet disconnects it has an entry in the log. Usually it's -

Tue Oct 09 00:31:37 2012  82000500  Critical (3)  Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - ...

with that I get a disconnect and reconnect about 30 seconds later.

But with -

Mon Oct 08 04:29:31 2012  2436694064  Critical (3)  Booting up the cable modem

obviously it's booting the modem/router which takes about 2 minutes.

The tech came to check my setup and said everything was within "spec" and that the modem would occationally disconnect if the server were unreachable for even a fraction of a second.

To me, rebooting because of a fractional disconnect is way overkill but you know tech company's favorite solution - "reboot!".

Even when you call tech support they tell you you've been connected for, (whatever..) 4, 5 days. Yeah right.

I personally think it's got to do with how many connection you're away from their central office. I'm out in the boonies so .... So far in fact that Bell doesn't even have DSL service, so I have no choice and if I did I'd be gone.

That guy who's spending $100 for his internet should look in to internet over wireless.

Tue Oct 09 00:31:37 2012  82000500  Critical (3)

Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - ...

cowanh
I'm Here A Lot

After further investigation, I have found the problem elsewhere and there is no solution other than to leave Rogers IF you have that luxury.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/thread-id/3129...

chrisu91
I'm Here A Lot

My hourly disconnects no longer occur as of 3 hours ago. So, the issue was most definitely a problem on Rogers' end.

RJWT
I've Been Here Awhile

Wow, I'm glad I'm not the only one here with the problem. I live in Richmond Hill (Oak Ridges Area) and it's been disconnecting randomly since September. I'm also hard-wired to the modem. Like others, I've called rogers and they set my SMCD3GN router onto bridge mode and said the signal strength was fine and couldn't see anything wrong with my connection on their end. But that still didn't resolve the issue. They recommended I swap my modem out which is my next option, but I'm not sure if that's the solution, since people are also having the same intermittent disconnecting issue in other areas.

On some nights I dc every 5 minutes, and on other days it disconnects once a day or once every few hours. I thought it was due to the new residential development in my area, but now I'm not so sure. It's also weird because the modem doesn't restart itself automatically or indicate it's "disconnected" (with the red X on the internet connection icon on my taskbar), but it indicates a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark saying I have no internet access. Is this what people are getting as well? After a 5-10 minutes, it automatically reconnects itself. I've also tried restarting the modem and it doesn't seem to help.

Would it be possible to get a Rogers Rep to comment on this ongoing issue? Tech support doesn't seem to be much of a help. It's really frustrating that I'm paying 100$/month for such unreliable service.

Thanks.

Donta
I Plan to Stick Around

Im having this issue and the last call to tech support last night was that they found the DHCP lease time to be set to one hour. It was escalated to the engineering team to try and increase the lease time so that it wouldn't disconnect after an hour.
csilcock
I've Been Here Awhile

I also have this issue in the Kitchener/Waterloo area. Any thoughts on what might be causing it?

Donta
I Plan to Stick Around

I got  call last night from rogers saying my issue was resolved after it was sent to engineering to have my IP lease extended. Still doing the same thing. I'm in the Kitchener area as well.

I'm going to try bridging my modem with a linksys router to see if that makes a difference.

I don't know how it works with trying to leave rogers since I started another yearly contract a few months ago. I mean they aren't providing adequate service if this issue causes the internet to become nearly unusable. I shouldnt have to pay near a hundred a month for service like this. It really sounds like the infrastructure or servers that are causing the error and techs repeating to me to have my router replaced seems redundant.