Internet disconnects. Weird issue?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Internet disconnects. Weird issue?

So my internet keeps disconnecting every hour. Sometimes it will resolve itself, other times I would have to restart my computer( if that didn't work I would have to disconnect the router and reconnect but that would only be a temporary fix).

I currently have the SMCD3GN modem bridged to my D-Link 655 router. Its connected to my main desktop but I also have a desktop in the basement. The weird thing is when my internet disconnects, only the PC in the basement actually goes offline, the main PC upstairs does not (just web pages load a bit slower). Also my PC in the basement gets between 4-5 bars so it can't be a range issue. 

Also important to note that I do use a range extender but even if I unplug it the problem above still persists.

Ive called Rogers many time and they would complain its my router but ive been through 3 routers and 2 modems in hopes to fix the issue. The problem must be on their end.

Any thoughts? Thank You

***edited labels***

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Internet disconnects. Weird issue?

It's a back end issue. I went through it for about 2.5 weeks. (Same gateway actually, but non bridged). Bridging doesn't help it.. So what definitely makes me think back end.
I found the same, as sometimes I would be partially connected and be able to continue On Something already on but couldn't do a new ping out, etc. other times complete drop.

It eventually resolved itself, likely as they finished whatever they were changing/fixing on the back end.

I've Been Here Awhile

I am currently having the exact same issue.  It is EXTREMELY annoying.  The Internet drops several times per day .  The only fix is to to do a hard or soft reboot of the SMC3GN modem.   This problem comes and goes;  presumably its a back-end problem. What area do you live in ?  I am in Etobicoke - East of the Humber, South of Bloor.  

I Plan to Stick Around

I had the same issue a couple weeks ago. It was quite annoying but I have to say since that day my connection has been much more stable than it was prior so I would also think it is back end or upgrades happening that is causing it. For reference running a Hitron CGN2 in bridge mode.

I've Been Here Awhile

I live in the North York area.

So basically a technician came by today and ran some tests. We discovered there was some intermittence going on. He ran some diagnostic tool on the box/panel on the side of my house and revealead i was getting a rating of 4 (perfect internet rating is supposed to get anywhere between 9 and 10). So basically he ran a new wire from across the street all the way to my house as it is still too cold and icy to run it underground. Luckily i was there to help the technician because this was defineatly a 2 man job. Had to basically run the wire from the tree across the street all the way back to my house around the chimney and back down to the panel. Before he left he ran another test and i was getting a rating of 9 which is perfect. Everything was going great for the next 5 hours. Fast speeds and no drops....... until about 7:30 pm. Yup you guessed it, my internet disconnected once again and has now  been continously disconnecting for the past 4 hours. I would say the internet has dropped roughly about 5-6 time since then. Im basically going to wait until tomorrow and see what happens. Idk if it has to do with the fact that the cable is suspended in the air from across the street or not or maybe the wind/snow causing some problems? All i know is that i am totally stressed about this and fed up. I honestly dont know what else to do.

I Plan to Stick Around

My wfie and I live in the Thornhill area and experience problems every so often.  The solution is to reset the DHCP address in the router settings.

I don't know what router you have but for DLINK:

1.  URL: 192.168.0.1

2.  Login: Admin

3.  PSWD: none

4.  click on the status link

5.  Release the DHCP address (button on the right) and then select the button on the left (either connect DHCP or re-establish - I am not sure what the button is labelled.

Try that for a bit.  I don't know why I have to do this sort of thing once/month but I'd rather do that than not have a connection or keep on power cycling the router and modem constantly.