cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet cutting out every 2 minutes

ahm2307
I Plan to Stick Around

Last two months, I've had no problems at all with my connection (Hybrid 60). This morning, though, I wake up and I can't do anything. The internet connection drops every minute for about 10-20 seconds. I can't even ping my modem (192.168.100.1) when the connection is down...it just times out. See here (everywhere the blue line disappears my connection is dropped out).

I'm using the DPC3825 modem (bridge mode) + D Link router. I tried resetting the router and the modem...tried hooking a wired connection straight from the modem to the computer...tried bypassing the splitter and hooked the coax directly into  modem...nothing worked.

I thought it might be a modem problem, but I hooked up a Teksavyy router and kept pinging it to see if it drops...sure enough, it timed out just as badly as the DPC3825.

I'm worried this might be a problem with the underground cables...there was some construction this morning in front of my building that woke me up. Could it be that my cable got damaged?

For the record, my cable TV does NOT cut off, even during the internet drops.

Please help...I'm having to use my mobile data to post this!

***edited labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Internet cutting out every 2 minutes

ahm2307
I Plan to Stick Around

It's 12:35 right now and I *think* the problem has been resolved. I think!

All upstream channels are reading 40 and my signal is not dropping any more. Thanks for the help guys. 

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The quckest thing to do is call tech support and have them check the power levels on the modem, both the downstream and upstream.  They should be able to tell you in a few seconds if there is any problem with either the power levels or the signal to noise ratios.

You could login to the modem and navigate to the DOCSIS WAN page.  On that page will be the channel numbers, 1 to 8, frequency, power level, signal to noise ratios, etc.  Take look at the column or row labelled power (dbmv) and just type those figures into this thread.  Type it in something like this.

Downstream:  xx.x   xx.x   xx.x   xx.x   xx.x   xx.x   xx.x   xx.x  

Upstream:      xx.x   xx.x   xx.x

There should be 8 downstream channels and 3 bonded upstream channels.

ahm2307
I Plan to Stick Around

Hey Datalink. it's all over the place. My first trial I got this:

Down

Power Level: Signal to Noise Ratio:

Channel 1: 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dB

Channel 2: 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dB

Channel 3: 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dB

Channel 4: 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dB

Channel 5: 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dB

Channel 6: 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dB

Channel 7: 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dB

Channel 8: 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dB

Up

Power Level:

Channel 1: 0.0 dBmV

Channel 2: 0.0 dBmV

Channel 3: 0.0 dBmV

Channel 4: 0.0 dBmV

When I refreshed, I got

Down

Channel 1: 4.3 dBmV 39.9 dB

Channel 2: 4.1 dBmV 39.9 dB

Channel 3: 4.1 dBmV 39.6 dB

Channel 4: 3.6 dBmV 39.9 dB

Channel 5: 3.3 dBmV 39.4 dB

Channel 6: 3.8 dBmV 39.5 dB

Channel 7: 4.8 dBmV 39.9 dB

Channel 8: 5.3 dBmV 40.2 dB

Up

Power Level:

Channel 2: 41.7 dBmV

Channel 3: 40.7 dBmV

Then again:

Down

Channel 1: 4.2 dBmV 39.9 dB

Channel 2: 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dB

Channel 3: 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dB

Channel 4: 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dB

Channel 5: 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dB

Channel 6: 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dB

Channel 7: 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dB

Channel 8: 0.0 dBmV 0.0 dB

Up

Power Level:

Channel 2: 0.0 dBmV

Channel 3: 0.0 dBmV

Sometimes, I get ~40 dBmV on channels 1,2,3 of upstream. So all over the place.

Thoughts?

P.S. I've been pinging my modem for about an hour now...packet loss is 24%, so you can imagine how choppy my internet is!

Thanks! 

Ok, just to check, you haven't changed any cabling at all?  Irritating question but has to be asked...

Do you use a power bar of any type to power your equipment and do you use a surge arrester of any type on the RG6 cable leading to the modem, or on the ethernet cabling from the modem.

If both are no, call tech support and have a tech come out to look at the cabling.  Something has happened and it isn't good.  Those power levels and signal to noise ratios should be rock solid.  I'd give tech support a call and then call it a night.

ahm2307
I Plan to Stick Around

Never even got close to the cables!

I'll give them a call tomorrow and set up a visit. What should those power/noise numbers be for each channel?

Thanks again.

The target power levels for the Downstream are 0 dBmV with a signal to noise ratios of 37 to 40 dB.  The upstream power levels are usually in the 37 to 40 dBmV range.  You should have three bonded upstream channels all the time. On your pasted in levels above, there was a fluctuation between no channels and two channels.  That will be the issue that is causing the problems.  Other than an outright modem failure, which can happen but which I think is rare, you have some type of cabling issue.

The power level ranges are +/- 15 dBmV for the downstream and 37 to 51 dBmV for the upstream.  Typically, as those levels move further away from their target levels you see degradation in speed and ping times, to the point where the data can be unuseable before you hit the limits.

ahm2307
I Plan to Stick Around

You've been very helpful...thanks again.

I really, really hope the problem is with the interconnect box/panel and not underground.

In our building, the panel is on the roof of the building, fully exposed to the elements. When I went to take a look at it now, the door of the panel was tossed aside, so the cables were fully exposed to blowing snow and wind. 

Odd that my TV seems to be functioning flawlessly though.

Yep, that sounds like a problem.  Those panels should really have better protection.  If you're getting snow and water in there, I would expect there to be occasional shorting going on, so, poor signal levels shouldn't be a surprise.  The modems, tv, internet and phone have different operating power levels and ranges, so, having good tv, with useless internet isn't unusual.  Its not normal, but not unusual to see.  When you talk to tech support advise them of the panel door issue and the construction.  I suspect that they will get more than one call, as will Bell and whomever else services your building.  You might see a tech convention in front of your building or on the roof tomorrow.

@ahm2307 wrote:

Odd that my TV seems to be functioning flawlessly though.

Have you tested every channel? I've experienced signal problems in the past that totally messed up my Internet, yet only a couple of digital cable channels were affected...

Coax is a very weird thing.

ahm2307
I Plan to Stick Around

So the Rogers tech guy is coming tomorrow morning...I'm hoping for a speedy resolution but I'm not holding out hope 😞

I tried every TV channel before coming to school this morning and they all looked good...I don't have that many to go through.

I also checked the power levels on the modem again. I am almost always getting two channels upstream or no channels at all (0 dbmV). This really sucks. If it turns out this is a serious cabling issue, I really hope Rogers stick with me on this. Bell is a LOT more expensive...their prices are somehow higher now than they were when I was last with them in 2007. Ridiculous. 

@ahm2307 wrote:

So the Rogers tech guy is coming tomorrow morning...I'm hoping for a speedy resolution but I'm not holding out hope 😞

I tried every TV channel before coming to school this morning and they all looked good...I don't have that many to go through.

I also checked the power levels on the modem again. I am almost always getting two channels upstream or no channels at all (0 dbmV). This really sucks. If it turns out this is a serious cabling issue, I really hope Rogers stick with me on this. Bell is a LOT more expensive...their prices are somehow higher now than they were when I was last with them in 2007. Ridiculous. 

Many, many, many years ago (in 1999, to be precise), at my parents' old house, I had a Bell person actually tell me that they weren't going to do anything to fix a serious line issue that prevented DSL from working in the summer, and he recommended switching to Rogers. I have never touched anything DSL since. 🙂

The one thing I would advise is patience. If you are getting a first-level tech (the contractors in the small minivans), they are limited in what they can do, so depending on where the problem is, it may have to be escalated to the in-house Rogers techs in the big Rogers vans. Once those guys get involved, they tend to be very efficient...

ahm2307
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks Viv. Yeah, I'd take Rogers over Bell any day!

Anyways, so I juts went back upstairs to check my building's interconnect box and I noticed something interesting. My cable was sticking out ahead of all the other cables and had a TPIA (third party internet access) tag on it.

A fact I neglected to mention (because it was previously irrelevant) is that recently I decided to switch to Teksavvy, but that switch will not happen till December 11 (I'm a Rogers customer till then).

So anyway, someone came in and put that tag on...I wonder if they did anything else...any ideas on what might have happened there? Would they have changed any wires? They must've done something because my connection has been flawless till before I called Rogers and informed them of my switch to Teksavvy (and before the TPIA tag presumably came on)...

Anyway, I await tomorrow's technician, but any thoughts on this development are greatly welcome!

That kind of muddies the water, so to speak.  Maybe the Teksavvy tech jumped the gun or had an order with the wrong date on it.  You might get an answer if you called Teksavvy.  They should tell you that your change over date is in Dec, but, you never know.  In fact that was probably a Rogers tech who put the tag on the cable, in response to a work order submitted by Teksavvy.  Is the cable still hooked up?  If it is, then possibly it has been disconnected at the node.  

I presume that you are going to have to buy a modem to operate with Tecksavvy.  If you haven't done so already, you should inquire about the status of high speed modems for their network.  Looking through the Teksavvy forum at DSLreports might give you an idea of the current status.    It looks like the candidate is the Cisco DPC3848.  They don't have it yet as production has been delayed, so depending on your plans, you might have to rent a modem temporarily, unless you don't plan to run high speed internet.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r29628943-Cable-24x8-32x8-modems-Where-are-thou-

ahm2307
I Plan to Stick Around

So I just got off the phone with Teksavvy and they said the date still says December 11, so I don't think it was anything on their end. Then again, as you said, it's odd that Rogers put the TPIA tag so soon (also, how did they get inside the building? They need someone to buzz them in; wouldn't that be me?!). The node disconnection issue is a real possibility...I'll bring it up with Rogers if tomorrow's meeting yields nothing.

As for the teksavvy modem, I actually just got it today in the mail. It's a Thomson dcm476. Here's something interesting...I hooked it up and monitored the cable power levels on it, and they're just as bad as the Rogers modem. So it's absolutely, definitely, 100% a cable problem. The power starts off triple bonded, then Channel 1 drops off then, a few seconds later, all signals go to zero and I lose internet connection! When my connection is triple bonded, I get the same speeds I was getting before.

No one at Teksavvy or Rogers was able to give me any information on the stuff that happened in the last few days with regards to the switchover. They can't even tell me when that technician came by to put the TPIA tag on my cable. If it was yesterday, then it seems more than coincidental that this is the day my connection started to act weird. 

So here's what we can say: 

- Modem works fine 

- Cable TV works fine

- There's a TPIA tag on my cable that wasn't there before (so it might be a problem with the cable in the box)

- I am not being told everything about the switchover from Rogers to Teksavvy (so it might also be a problem behind the scenes)

I'll keep working with Rogers to figure this out, but I appreciate your help Datalink in trying to give them as much info as possible to fix this ASAP.

While your still a rogers customer, just make sure to get the tech out to make sure everythings good, fixed, etc.

While this can be done too while with TSI... it does take a bit longer, as TSI has to take your ticket, then they put one in with rogers to come out and look, etc.

Just be glad at min they put the TPIA tag on it.
Many times on a rogers disconect / connect of TPIA... they DONT put it there.
Then, the next time a rogers tech is out for someone else... if they CHECK whats to be there.. they can ONLY see rogers stuff... no rogers account on that tap?  It shouldnt be connected then.... UNPLUG.
The TPIA tag helps prevent this

ahm2307
I Plan to Stick Around

It's 12:35 right now and I *think* the problem has been resolved. I think!

All upstream channels are reading 40 and my signal is not dropping any more. Thanks for the help guys. 

We Want Your Opinion
Would you be interested in becoming a Community Testing Lab member?
Topic Stats
  • 15 replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 4 in conversation