Internet cuts out every hour exaclty.

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Zedonius666
I Plan to Stick Around

Internet cuts out every hour exaclty.

This is getting rather annoying now. I have been paying attention to it and notice that EVERY hour my internet drops for 5-10 seconds.  This kicks me out of everything I'm currently doing. 

9:00PM Internet cuts out. 

10:00PM Internet cuts out.

11:00PM Internet cuts out. 

Getting pretty upset at Rogers crappy service. What is even the point of these forums? Does anyone exist here? 

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Zedonius666
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Internet cuts out every hour exaclty.

Seems like the issue went away late yesterday.  Noticed the WAN Ip changed (go figure).   Still having a tech come up anyways, but according to Rogers support (on the phone and over internet chat) the signal is good.  

I may get  them to swap the modem, and prepare to set up the connection the same way as the other one in the house by using a router and setting up the modem/router combo from Rogers as just a modem.  

I just hate looking up information related to this, to read all over that the SMC modem/routers are garbage.  But thanks for the addistance GD.   It's not so much that I get kicked off every hour that annoys me, its the fact that you pay so much for a service, and when it fails on you, they like to leave their customers in the dark.  I miss shaw :(, their emails informing you of issues that may arise in your area due to X reason will be missed. 

View solution in original post

All Replies
Zedonius666
I Plan to Stick Around

12:00am Kicked. 

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

These forums are primarily for rogers users to discuss and help each other with things with rogers services (hence the 'community' part).

We would need more info to try and help.

And of course, the first this you should do is call I to tech. Yes they may make you do some rudimentary thisgs but they also can check things from their end, etc.

scottrob01
I'm Here A Lot

I to was getting this with the Hitron router they gave me as a replacement for a faulty router. Even if you power cycle the modem the disconnects will start at the time the router comes abck up.

I had to get it replaced now all I deal with is the SMC router disconnecting quite a few times throughout the day......better then every hour but its still unacceptable.

EddieDZ
I Plan to Stick Around

off the top of my head the only thing i can think of that is causing a interruption every hour on the dot is a release and renew of IP address. if this is happen to only 1 computer try assigning a manual static IP address to it.

Zedonius666
I Plan to Stick Around

It happens on both mine and my brothers computers at the same time, as well,  other rogers customers on my street have reported the same issue.  

I contacted support and all they did was tell me to reset the modem and if that don't work, it must be a faulty modem.  The thing isn't even 6 months old.  Needless to say the support I got was pretty horrible and this issue is still happening.  

I will however try returning the modem tommorow and exchange it for a new one.  But I allready know that the problem is on Rogers end or something happened in the last week on the lines on this street.   If it was my modem then 3 other people I know who live on the same street must also have faulty modems kicking them off every hour.  For them it isn't a big deal, but for this household, where 3 people game, its annoying.   

I guess I should expect subpar service/support from a subpar company. 

Zedonius666
I Plan to Stick Around

Just a little update, planning on replacing the modem today.  Been watching the LAN uptime and Wan Uptime from the Status page in the router.  Every time the router hits 59:99 uptime, it resets and kicks everyone off.  LAN Uptime is fine at almost 14h now.  

Also noticed that the time reported by the router is currently almost 4 hours ahead of my current time.  I know this is irrelevant but since I'm on the NL timezone, I find it pretty odd that the routers time is AHEAD of mine.  I'm wondering if this could cause some sort of "Desync" between the router and the Rogers servers, which may occur every hour.

Well back to playing the whole "It can't be something on their end" game with Rogers, until they find a excuse to say it was them doing some work on the lines etc etc, just to make it look like they didn't mess up somewhere. 

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

There is another thread right now with pretty much the same problems.

From what i have been able to research on it, the D3 modems, almost do a ping/keep alive type of message out (likely hourly in this case?) and when they get a timeout on the response, the cutout is what happens.  (likely re-setting to try and re-establish a link).

WHen i was looking around on it, it seems to happen to many ISPs, and many different modems... the general consensus, is that it tends to happen in oversold areas, where there is potentialy too much rogers traffic for that area.

Not sure if that is the case, where you live.

Zedonius666
I Plan to Stick Around

Actually that is exactly what I have been finding as well. And the error code produced in the router is this:

Level:critical, Content:No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out.  

Looking that up on google is exactly what GD is saying.  Every hour it seems like the modem is sending out a signal to the main server, not getting a response (or the other way around) and the modems way of dealing with this is resetting.   I'm assuming this means it waits 1 hour for that response, and if it don't get it, it resets.   

I mean this area being oversold to me seems a bit farfetched since there are only like 15k people total who live in the Town of Corner Brook.  I guess it is possible since when I upgraded to their new Router/Modem it took almost ALL day for it to pickup.  The other odd thing is, we have 2 Rogers lines coming into the house.  1 is the main line for most of the family and the other is for one of my brothers who wanted his own seperate line.   He is not experienceing this issue at all (kinda funny).   But he disabled the router and is just using the modem/router combo as a modem and using his own router. 

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

It COULD Be signal strength.. if the one line is fine and the other is not.. a tech out would be able to check that.

In the end, it COULD be something tripping with it, due to you running it as a router as well.  It shouldnt, mine doesnt.. most others only do that, if its on wireless, etc.

If you had your own router, you could try it in bridged mode, and see if it works without droping.