Internet constantly disconnecting

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Internet constantly disconnecting

Hi,

I'm beyond fed up with this disconnecting, everytime I surf on the internet, or play game; I'm literally going to break this SMC CD3GM because of this, but I know if I do, it'll take me nowhere. I'm just wondering is anyone else getting this constant disconnecting for like 3 minutes, and goes back up and running. This been happening to me for two days now. Why is this happening?

***edited labels***

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Internet constantly disconnecting

Do you have stuff on the wifi or using the wifi on it at all when these disconects happen?

Most of the gateways, seem to suffer from this :(.. dropouts, when there is wireless usage beyond a certain point.

The only real soultion at the time for this.. is either to A) go wired if you can, B) put the modem into bridged mode, and use a 3rd party router for wireless.

Most people, when they make this switch, then have no problems at all.

It just ends up comming down to the abysmal wireless properties of their gateways.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

I've been having this issue and tried both of the modems rogers offered. I upgraded to the Hitron for awhile and it didn't help. I've had several technicians come out as well.

I am a "Smart Home Monitoring" customer, so we get technicians who have worked for Rogers for 10+ years only (This is because you must know how the network affects the security alarm, so I'm told). I think I've had 5 technician service calls over the past 6 months. Sometimes the technicians even called the "head guy" in our city to check for issues etc.

They had come up with no solution for me. They just tell me to try using a wired connection. I know that it's not a wireless problem as even when the Internet stops for me I can still access the modem configuration page (192.168.0.1) without any lag/latency.

So annoying and I share my frustration!

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

While its not a 'wireless' issue in the fact that it drops the wireless connection to the gateway.. its that the wireless, SOMEHOW, drops the modems connection alltogether.

Have you tried the setup of using a 3rd party router for your wireless?
Due to the smart home, you likely have it set up to conenct through the hitron (or another router they give you?)?  Due to the smart home, you cant BRIDGE MODE yours..
But you can do as i do, and set up a 3rd party router, as just an access point.  It serves the wireless, etc, but the DHCP and routing is still all done via the hitron.

While i will 110% agree this should not be necessary.. for many users, it does work and seem to fix the issue.

(now, the only OTHER thing i have seen for some who were getting the regularily 1hr dropouts.. had a higher end tech out who found while a strong house signal, was getting packet loss still.  A wack of wiring replacement seems to have fixed it.)