Internet Usage

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TerenceP
I've Been Around

Internet Usage

So as of November til now, the last 2 bills have had overcharges applied for going over the usage cap. There is a cap of 95gb and Decembers overage was 15gb. In this December-January cycle we are now 18.33gb over with 7 days left in the cycle. I want to know why suddenly in the last 2 months the usage has skyrocketed. In september the usage was 61gb and october's was 86gb but I haven't changed any of my browsing habits and neither has my brother. We rarely download anything and the wireless network is secure i've changed the SSID and password and hid it aswell. I'm aware that everything uses bandwidth but this is ridiculous. On the 29th of December it was 13.2gb was used. I've never used more than 5-6gb when heavily downloading games.

Can anyone shed light on my situation?

***edited labels***

Chris
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Internet Usage

Do you have netflix? Do you play games online? Do you watch videos on youtube?

Since november WOW has had an update and Netflix came to canada both of which like bandwidth..
RandomZero
I Plan to Stick Around

WoW doesn't use a huge amount of bandwidth.

Hooter
I'm a Reliable Contributor

I am sure the majority of users do not exceed their caps, but the few that do pay through the nose! On top of that, you could go months without ever exceeding your cap, then the one month you do, they are adding extra to your bill. Sad, they have to resort to this kind of billing!

lisawilson101
I've Been Here Awhile

I know! I've had the very same thing. Total Rip Off and Not Real Time, Just a mess this Rogers Tracking usage BS!
Ressy
I'm a Reliable Contributor

In fact, Briani from Blizzard stated on the WoW forums that WoW uses only a few hundreds MB per month of usage for gameplay (not including patches of course).

Its NOT heavy, and in fact is mostly playable on dialup if necessary.

Khicken
I'm a Regular

No doubt UBB is NOT popular for a variety of reasons and probably hurting rogers image more than anything...but Rogers is pretty up front about their service. They don't hide it. In fact all Canadian ISPs I have seen state their bandwidth limits (if they have any) pretty clearly. Rogers is upfront about their Caps and Penalty charges. So people shouldn't be too alarmed.
PSD
I've Been Around

Anyone know how I go about pay for more GB. I watched a lot of March Madness online and within a day or two I will exceed my limit. I only need about 5GB to get me through to the next bill. On the FAQ's rogers says I can do this option, but they don't tell me how. Frustrating.

@DWR wrote:

Rogers may be upfront about their caps and penalties, but here are some additional facts:

"Experts agree that despite claims by telecommunications companies that high traffic on their networks costs them money, that's not the case."

"It may be surprising to learn that it costs ISPs only about a penny to deliver a gigabyte of data over a highspeed Internet line, and it costs another seven cents per month to provide and maintain the physical infrastructure on a DSL telephone line for a residential customer. The numbers were calculated by Michael Geist, a law professor at University of Ottawa who specializes in Internet and e-commerce, in a paper he published this week."

"Whatever the rate, Canadians pay among the highest prices for high-speed Internet in the world, according to a study by the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development."

Regarding UBB, Steve Anderson (Openmedia.ca president) "contends that the move is both a cash grab, and a way to ensure television customers don't cancel their subscription and enrol in a service such as Netflix or iTunes, to watch shows and movies on demand or for a low monthly rate."

http://www.montrealgazette.com/business/high+price+high+speed/4547661/story.html#ixzz1IPBoE4E6

FormerMember
I'm a Senior Advisor

@PSD wrote:

Anyone know how I go about pay for more GB. I watched a lot of March Madness online and within a day or two I will exceed my limit. I only need about 5GB to get me through to the next bill. On the FAQ's rogers says I can do this option, but they don't tell me how. Frustrating.

Not sure what your bandwidth limit is, but quite simply, if you exceed your bandwidth, you will be billed for it.  For example, if you have high speed Express, the charge is $2.00 GB for every GB over your limit of 60. If you exceed your bandwidth on a regular basis, you might consider upgrading your plan, for example from Express to Extreme. Of course moving to Extreme, you will be inflicted with one the SMC modems, so you might not want to do this!

http://www.rogers.com/web/Rogers.portal?_nfpb=true&_windowLabel=HiSpeedBrowse_1_2&HiSpeedBrowse_1_2_...

samy
I've Been Around

I dont understand why is canadian internet company are soooooooo expensive. They charge you for every GB.

In USA major ISP company like Comcast , Verizon, Cable vision & AT&T provide unlimited access to the customer. But they limit the speed of the internet like 3 mbps / 6 mbps / 10 mbps and the highest is 12 mbps(Comcast) And UNLIMITED TOO.

For the price of $35.99 - 39.99/mth. Some are with contract and some without.

When can we see this decent prices and customer friendly usage in canada.