Internet Keeps Cutting Out

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Internet Keeps Cutting Out

Right, and while in general I do agree, I am running the same firmware and hardware, as some people who have had the issue, and I have not had a problem. If it was purely hardware/firmware, for this specific issue, it would affect more/ everyone across the board.

This more likely is an area/overselling problem, possibly in conjunction with this hardware. Could a d3 modem in its own work in this area? possibly. But not necessarily.

When looking up this error, it was across many Canadian and us ISPs, with a wide range of modems, even the d2 surfboard ones!

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

You may be one of the lucky ones Gdkitty that are not having major problems with your gateway. I have simply read too many posts on these forums, on the Rogers Facebook page lately, and on many other forums to believe that many of these problems are not specific to the modems (and the corresponding firmware updates) that are provided by Rogers. I am in a highly populated area but my SB5100 works like a charm. Maybe I am lucky too! But unless Rogers comes to their senses and allows a good stand alone D3 modem (such as the Motorola 6000 series) to be provisioned for Rogers Internet, we will perhaps never have any real answers. Do you not find it odd that Rogers won't provision modems they've approved for TPIAs and they won't approve any of their modems for TPIAs when they haven't charged the TPIA an arm and a leg to test them? What would the reason be for them not wanting people to have a simple and good stand alone D3 modem? I only see two reasons - greed and profit!

Highlighted
I've Been Around

Spoiler
Ive been having the same problem lately. Its October 1st, 2012. I am wondering if any one else in Southern Ontario is experiencing internet issues. I have ran a Rogers Bandwith speed test several times. The first time it wouldnt even finish the test because the internet connection dropped. Then it gave me a reading of 1.75Mbps. I only have the lite package. But lately I cannot even download a tv show from iTunes. It will begin the download and after 3-5minutes it will say download error. My internet connection is clearly failing. I called Rogers customer service, of course I hung up after waiting for some time. Im hoping someone else in the area may confirm my issue. Rogers is on a very short leash if they dont own up to the issue soon.

Highlighted
I'm a Regular

You're not the only one and I have extreme speed, this has been happening all last week until Sat. & Sun it was all fine but now it's doing it again.   ROGERS YOU BETTER DO SOMETHING THIS IS RIDICOLOUS!  

Highlighted
I've Been Around

YES!!! Extreme speed I'm paying for as turned into EXTREME SLOW speeds and EXTREME headaches having to deal with it!! This is NOT what I signed up for!! Rogers, get your act together quick or dropped connections will turn into dropped customers!! Going to check other avenues (Teksavy maybe) right after I finish with this post!

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Vinnyfast wrote:

YES!!! Extreme speed I'm paying for as turned into EXTREME SLOW speeds and EXTREME headaches having to deal with it!! This is NOT what I signed up for!! Rogers, get your act together quick or dropped connections will turn into dropped customers!! Going to check other avenues (Teksavy maybe) right after I finish with this post!

Do remember, IF the problem is infrastructure based, etc.. switching to another provider which uses the same technology, you may run into the same problem.. as they rent lines from rogers.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I've been having this same issue in Kitchener Ontario. I was on the SMC router with the issue so I got an upgrade to the Hiteron. I've called rogers and while on the phone the internet was connected and working fine. They couldn't find anything wrong with it. They sent out a technician and he did nothing as it was working fine while he was here. 15 minutes after he left it dropped again. I've asked if they have anything that could monitor my connection to log when it dropps and why, but they have nothing. I tried calling again a couple of days ago but due to the DNS server issues they were having at the time, the technician couldnt log into my router. Perhaps now I can get them to look into it again.

I live in an apartment building but i don't believe it should be too congested. It's not like a high populated area like toronto.

Highlighted
I've Been Around

Is there anything that can be used a stopgap when the area is oversold? Or do we just have to live with it until people change ISP's?
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I just called support and they're sending out another tech. Hopefully one that can do something other than say, "I don't know what else to do. I have a bag of cables and connectors, but your connection is fine right now."

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I also had this issue with the SMCD3GN.  In my case it was because of the signal degradation from a coax splitter and a coax extension cable. 

Basically the cabling had a splitter to divide the signal (Internet modem / TV) and the SMCD3GN was in a room that required an extension coax.    

After I removed the splitter and relocated the modem (to avoid using the extension) the modem stopped flapping.

You can test this by conecting your modem directly into the cable that enters your house (e.g. without splitters or extensions) and see if it helps

Ed