Internet Keeps Cutting Out

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

Re: Internet Keeps Cutting Out

@movieman wrote:

Mine has been working all day today too! Obviously, there was a major issue, that now appears solved. I even changed my modem from those Cisco modems to the ones thst look like a spaceship. I prefer the Cisco. 

The one that looks like a spaceship... that's the CGN2?

(The CGN3 is a black rectangle)

I Plan to Stick Around

Been going off every few moments here at Don Mills/Sheppard area all day now. I was lucky I could connect for this. You figure at this time of night on a long weekend the workers would be off enjoying it, not upgrading cable (at least that's what I hope it is). I had this before about 5 months ago and it went on for about 3 days before it all went back to normal. Real pain as I work from home.
I've Been Around

We use to be with Shaw Hamilton until Rogers baught them out. Ever since then, (4 months) we have had nothing but problems. We keep getting disconnected every 2-3 minutes. Once a day we "reset" the modem, doesn"t do anything bu worth a try. Rogers told me to get a new modem but at a fee... Not a good way to do business. Looking into Bell....

I Plan to Stick Around

I heard about that. I tried Bell once, it wasn't bad, but it wasn't good either. I miss my Eastlink days. I've tried the modem reset avenue, but it did nothing. I have no idea what Rogers is doing, but at this rate, they'll be owing me a refund.
I've Been Around

it has been cutting out for a while on me, im not very techy however i am online all the time, its been cutting out on me atleast 6-10 times aday and i have had to change my modem twice already from rogers. in all honesty i am sick and tired of rogers service and having to wait for so long over the phone everytime i need support worst of all talking to that stupid computer they have. so.... my conclusion is as soon as i have time i will be changing my service to ANYTHING else aside from rogers or any company that taps into rogers lines. 

good luck to you all and thank you for posting

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Maybe we can help.  Interested in giving it a go?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

There are a few things which Datalink, myself and a few others can help with possibly troubleshooting... a little more than the rogers techs normally seem to know 😛

Check/eliminate some of the things.

See if it is a possible signal/line issue.

Or could even be other things as well, such as wireless interfearance, etc.

I'm a Trusted Contributor

@Gdkitty wrote:

There are a few things which Datalink, myself and a few others can help with possibly troubleshooting... a little more than the rogers techs normally seem to know 😛

Check/eliminate some of the things.

See if it is a possible signal/line issue.

Or could even be other things as well, such as wireless interfearance, etc.

I read the posts here going back to 2012. I am posting now because I have recently (the last few days) been noticing that my internet connection when on Google and Outlook seems to be dropping every 5 to 20 minutes or freezing up. (now Dec 5 2016) It could be on other apps, but those were the two I noticed. On Outlook, you get NO CONNECTION on the bottom bar, but you can reconnect to the internet to synch folders but it lasts another 10 to 20 minutes.

I also tried U Tube and watched some videos this morning to see if it would drop, but the connections seemed fine. I watched 2 10 min videos.  It didn`t drop or freeze up. Logging onto Rogers website cut out or froze on 2 occassions after I logged in.  Last night I rebooted my Rogers Enhanced Home Gateway Rental modem but  I still had this same problem this morning.  It may be one of those intermittent problems with my modem.   Task Manager only shows a couple of open apps so I am not overloading my computer.  

For any Rogers Mod reading this, can you post or send the link to the recommended diagnostic approach for this problem to narrow the field of causes or to collect key information for troubleshooting if I have to call Tech Support?  It might help your Rogers customers in the long run if you provided such information. I did a search but I could not find any rigourous diagnostic checklist.  Your customers like Gdkitty and Datalink shouldn`t have to troubleshoot my problems. It is also a little scarey if they know more than the Rogers techs seem to know. Please provide your diagnostics approach so that I can try to obtain the appropriate information. No trial and error approach please. A professional, rigourous diagnostic checklist please.

The good news is that my connection has not dropped while writing this and perhaps maintenance was being conducted in our neighbourhood that no one told me about. This could be a temporary issue caused by Rogers.   While you are at it, is there a link somewhere where you can see if maintenance is being conducted in your neighbourhood? It would save your customers a lot of frustration chasing phatom problems like dropped internet services if they could check on maintenance in their area first. 

@Gdkitty @Datalink  I know you guys want to help, but let the Mods answer me. That is what they are here for I hope. I also want to see if there actually is a policy for Mods  not to answer customers on this community forum. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Its not that the Mods are NOT to answer here.  They are/can.
But i beleive in the guidelines, its not gauranteed 😞  (since its a user to user forum).

Problem is too.. the Mods here really only have ACCOUNT level access for stuff, as far as i am aware.  Can make account changes, etc.. but thats about it.

So some of the stuff needed beyond that (say for like your problem), requires a TECH SUPPORT level person. 
Which really are only available via the phone (and i think live chat?)

Hopefully you can get it resolved.

I'm a Trusted Contributor

@Gdkitty wrote:

Its not that the Mods are NOT to answer here.  They are/can.
But i beleive in the guidelines, its not gauranteed 😞  (since its a user to user forum).

Problem is too.. the Mods here really only have ACCOUNT level access for stuff, as far as i am aware.  Can make account changes, etc.. but thats about it.

Perhaps I wasn't clear in my last post. I was trying to ask any Mod that reads my post for content  to also send a link or a hint to find latest information on the internet cutting out problem I mentioned, even in a private message if they don't want to post publicly.  The Mods should be more familiar with the redundancies of these posts and they could save a customer a lot of time searching through posts from the distant past.  I wouldn't expect them to provide Tech Support just directions with a URL if available.  It is nice to know that Mods are/can provide a response. Sadly, the only responses I have ever seen are those where I have not met the posting guidelines, plus one thanks for posting a solution. I appreciate the help and altruism from other customers like yourself, but it seems like an abuse of your personal time.

In case another customer is reading this I should indicate that I lost a connection last night (9 pm) while viewing a video. It allowed me to check why this happened and gave me the report below. It looks like the report is indicating that around 9 pm the line couldn't handle the load.

Googel Video Consumption report