Internet Keeps Cutting Out

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Internet Keeps Cutting Out

Brutal! There has to be something up on their end. What are the odds that you and I both have been experieicng this since Monday (both live in Mississauga) Come on Rogers, this is annoying. We're not going to unplug our little modem, wait 30 seconds and plug it back in. We're not 12. Let's solve this. I didn't upgrade my package for this. It's not the router. 

I'm an Advisor

@movieman wrote:
Anyway, the unusual thing is, when the internet cuts out,all the lights on the modem are still on, as if nothing is cutting out and the net is working fine. But it's not of course. Every stinking 20 miutes, I see that little yellow triangle in the bottom right hand corner of my screen, telling me there is no internet connection. 

Windows has no way of knowing that you have an 'Internet' connection.

What Windows does know is if you have a physical connection to the device on the other end of your Ethernet cable, if you have a DHCP lease, and it attempts to download a very small file from MS' site (and if it succeeds, then it says it has an 'Internet connection').

I don't know how often Windows does the test download with the small file from MS, but I think you need to be very careful about relying on that.

So, two questions for now:

1) What other devices are between you and the modem? Any Ethernet switches? Wall jacks? Routers? Anything?

2) Have you looked in Windows' Event Viewer? If, say, the device on the other end of your Ethernet cable goes away, Windows will log that...

(Keep in mind that the converse is equally true - if a modem in router mode, or a bridged modem upstream of a router, loses its connection to the Rogers network, the Windows network connections thing won't notice)

I Plan to Stick Around

Hey VivienMm thanks for the help. Nothing is between me and the modem. It's desktop computer, ethernet cable is plugged directly into the back of the computer tower, and then up to the modem, which sits on my desk. 

Akthought I appreciate your help, you're going to have to speak to me like im 6. lol. This technical side of DHCP and MS and Windows logging things, is beyone my brain reach. I have no doubt you know what you're talking about. I just need to know what you're talking about lol. 

This just started happening on Monday, and the only change I have done, regarding my internet, was upgrade form 120GB a month, to unlimited. 

I'm an Advisor

Re: Internet Keeps Cutting Out every 20 minutes for 1-2 minutes.

@movieman wrote:

Hey VivienMm thanks for the help. Nothing is between me and the modem. It's desktop computer, ethernet cable is plugged directly into the back of the computer tower, and then up to the modem, which sits on my desk. 

Akthought I appreciate your help, you're going to have to speak to me like im 6. lol. This technical side of DHCP and MS and Windows logging things, is beyone my brain reach. I have no doubt you know what you're talking about. I just need to know what you're talking about lol. 

This just started happening on Monday, and the only change I have done, regarding my internet, was upgrade form 120GB a month, to unlimited. 

I've heard of a lot of things, but switching from 120GB to unlimited causing major-league instability is a new one.

Re: event viewer, in Windows 7, go to Start -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Event Viewer. Then in the left pick the 'System' log. Start looking around for entries that match the times when you've noticed this problem...

I'm an Advisor

One other thought: if a separate account in the same house with a separate modem/etc is having the same problem, then... we're talking a problem on Rogers' end.

I Plan to Stick Around

I would have to agree, which is why I'm thinking it's on their end. Of course, all they come back with is.. Speed is fine. Modem is working. They even told me they didn't see any dropouts from my modem. And it's happenin every god 30 seconds almost. 

Anyway, I went to the systems manager in event viewer, and holy, I can see tons of stuff, pretty much in ad around the time this keeps happening... 11:20, 11:19, 11:16, 11:14 etc.. etc.. etc... would all this be related to what's happening? What do I do now?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Do you have any other services such as cable tv or home phone, and if so, are they also affected?

I Plan to Stick Around

I don't have cable tv or home phone, but the people who live up stairs do. As far as I know that's working ok. I'm in a basement apartment with a seperate account, package, modem, the whole 9 yards. But my landlord (guy who lives up stairs) did say his daughter has been experiencing some drop outs too.  I agree that to assume moving packages from 120GB to unlimited would cause a huge mess up like this, is a big leap. I'm just totally lost, beause it's all that's changed. Never had this issue before. And remember, this is a desktop, with the ethernet plugged right into the tower. 

That said, someone above a few posts back said they too had been having the exact same problem, since monday (like me) and they too, live in Mississauga. Weird. 

I Plan to Stick Around

I am having the same issue.I am in the Mississauga area at Mavis & Brittania. My neighbors/family members/friends are reporting that they indeed are having the same difficulties. Internet keeps cutting out, randomly, for short periods of time (sometimes long). At night, it happens even more frequently it seems.

I called Rogers this morning as it has happened for the past couple of days. I even purchased their 5Ghz spectrum modem, as they suggeted, bu of course this made no difference. It is clearly a problem on their side.

After informing them of this, they haven't really done anything. I have a technician scheduled to come to my house tomorrow afternoon, but my problem is why wouldn't they do that on their own (and at a much quicker pace)? Clearly the problem is pertaining to at least a good number of customers. I fail to understand why Rogers didn't take the initiative themselves and attempt to correct the issue? 

My worry is the technician comes over tomorrow and says he cannot fix it alone as it is a bigger issue. Rogers allegedly claims that everything is working fine on their end, but clearly, this isn't the case at all. (When I say "their end" I'm referring to any underground cables or anything outside of my home/personal modem).

I am disappointed with this service, as I am not able to complete homework, game, or use the internet for entertainment purposes without constant and unusable interruption. The lack of communication and initiative from Rogers is disheartening. 

Please give is answers/ETAs/statements. This has always been the most frequent feedback of customers, yet it never changes.

/endrant

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

You wouldn't think that changing packages would result in what you are seeing, however, what is it they say about assuming, hmm.  If this occurs often enough, to the point of being predictable, I would be on the phone with tech support when you think that is going to happen, and when the modem falls off-line, thats the point where tech support should be trying to communicate with the modem and troubleshoot.  So, you would have to be on the phone with them, essentially waiting for it to happen, and the tech should not initiate anything until you give the go ahead.  Unfortunately it doesn't do any good when they check out the modem and everything is back to normal operation.  Put Rogers on speed dial.....Occasionally something like this comes up and it takes persistent calls to tech support to get a tech onsite to determine what the problem is.  I would still argue in this case that this is not a customer issue, but a node issue or possibly something higher up the chain.