Internet Keeps Cutting Out since Feb 14th

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Internet Keeps Cutting Out since Feb 14th

We changed to the CGN2 modem on Feb 14th on the advice of tech and customer support. We had been having issues with download speed and were advised that we had to switch to this modem from the old $4/month one. Well the speed is great now however every 48 hours we lose the internet connection and I have to re connect it. I have talked to technical support so many times and have had 2 techs come out to the house. Each time after the tech leaves we lose the internet a few hours later. We NEVER had this problem before switching modems. I do not think that I should be paying over $70 a month for a service that only lasts 48 hours at a time. Every time I talk to rogers they tell me that the signal is great. The techs tell me that this happens all the time. The last tech even gave me a new modem and 4 hours later the internet went out again.

Prior to switching to this modem I might have re booted only 2-3 times a year. I have spent countless hours on hold and describing the problem over and over. I live in Newmarket so it's not like I live in an isolated area. Getting ready to cancel all of my services at the end of the month if someone can not help me soon.

***edited labels***

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Internet Keeps Cutting Out since Feb 14th

Are you using it in gateway mode? (Using its wireless, etc)

Or are you using it in bridged mode with your old router you had with the old modem?

If you are using just the gateway, I would suggest trying the other way (we can help you walk through it), may help out with this. (And likely will have better wireless range, etc anyways)

I Plan to Stick Around

I am using my cisco router with the modem however not sure if the set up is correct. I have had 2 techs here to look at it and neither told me that my router was the problem

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Is there a Rogers wireless signal viewable as well as the one from your Cisco?

Having your own router, when set up correct (with the gateway in bridged mode) often does help, shouldn't hinder.

I Plan to Stick Around

how do I know if there are 2 signals viewable? I am not technically savy. When I look at the wireless connection I only see my cisco one. Is that good?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Well you will only have one active one. You would need to disconnect that for a moment, then view all in range.

There are ways of just pluging in your regular router, into another router, and it will work.. But you run into double firewall, double routing, which can cause issues. Just worries your in that setup.