Internet Is Very laggy, Huge Spikes PLEASE NEED HELP!!

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Internet Is Very laggy, Huge Spikes PLEASE NEED HELP!!

Hi just want to repost this message again to see if anyone in the forums can solve my problem.

Browsing normally would be fine such as Facebook, google search etc but when playing an online game it is pretty much impossible to play. My computer is directly connected to my motorola modem and recently got a new modem but still the lag/spikes are there.

• Did a ping test in cmd ping google.ca i get 360ms, 97ms, 76, 256ms.
  • I've closed all programs, background programs using my internet connection but it still did not solve the problem.
  • I've also tried using another computer in my case my laptop since I thought it was a computer problem but still get lag/spikes. Done Virus scans and no viruses whatsoever
  • I've got a new motorola modem and ethernet cable but still did not solve the problem.

I've called Rogers before and they said to change the old modem but that still did not solve the problem and they said everything is fine at their end.

Please please any help, suggestions because this has been going on for MORE than a month now.

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Internet Is Very laggy, Huge Spikes PLEASE NEED HELP!!

Hi pidli,

Thanks for the advice but I have spoke to a Rogers mod and he said that his engineering team advised that the fix will require some reconfiguration... and guess what? it solved my problem! Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Now my internet is back to the way it was stable lag free internet!!

Rogers_

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Just checking, for trouble shooting purposes..

You are direct connecting to the modem, no router, etc inbetween?

What virus/malware/firewall programs are you running?

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

No, right now there's a router connected to the modem because other people in my family are using the internet too. 

Anyways the internet is still laggy/spikes when I connect directly to the modem.

I'm running Avast with malwarebytes as a secondary scanner and windows firewall. Also using Windows 7 OS.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

For the last 3 weeks I can't get anything lower then 110ms in any game I play.  I called Rogers and they did nothing.   I live in Corner Brook, Newfoundland and my pings to Halifax are over 200ms.  The CLOSEST servers to me give me 300ms.  Playing games like BF3 and SC2 are near impossible now... and even though bell here is pretty horrible also, in terms of download speed, but at least their latency was consistenly low....

I gave up and will be suggesting to cancel 2 connections soon.    I used to get pings of 60-85 most nights in anygame, now im lucky to get 110.  And this is on the same servers I allways play on.  Seems kinda stupid that the latency just misteriously went up.  Ive even formated twice since it started. 

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

On December 2011 I had a consistent connection no lag or spikes whatsoever

but, around January 2012 I started to noticed my ping skyrocketed even up to 1000ms

when pinging google.ca and playing games. Now its March 2012 and still my connection's ping is still high.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Spikes in Rogers High Speed Internet Access (delay) is something Rogers does not care about. Here is the proof:

On Rogers High Speed Internet in Kanata, ON I have intermittent problem on increased ping response PC to Rogers default gateway from 7-20 ms to 400-800 ms for several minutes to half an hour, 5 to 15 times a day for the last 6 months (when I started to care about this problem), direct PC-Cable modem connection. I have recorded this problem with Colasoft Ping Tool. This issue severily affects my real time applications such as Skype or VoIP.

On March 6, 2012 I have opened a Rogers ticket C53897052. The tech support person tested my speed and delay at that time, all OK. "I do not see any problem, so I cannot help you. Call us when you have the issue again." No use to argue with the agent that the Internet connection intermittent lag spike cannot be debugged in real time due to its nature. I even offered a method to record the problem from their end, to start debugging & fixing. Ticket closed.

On March 8, 2012 I talked to Rogers technical support manager Robert, ID 2303. He said that Rogers does not provide any quality Internet service guarantee and they will not do anything about this problem. I tried to explain the the lag issue may be demonstration of other, more severe Rogers network technical issue. I also said that they are going to loose people like me and their revenue will suffer due to poor service. To no avail. For problem escalation I was offered address of the Office of the (Rogers) President: 855 York Mill, Toronto, ON   M3B 1Z1. I am writing there right now.

IMO the only way Rogers will fix technical issues like this only when people leave their sub-standard service and Rogers revenue will suffer. But maybe the Rogers management will have the will to order to fix this problem. So lets get this issue a visibility on social media and to Rogers management.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

While i dont blame people for leaving due to things like this, specialy if they get no support in the end...

For others viewing this, they need to be aware that its it not company wide, not everyone is affected.

Yes, they should fix it for the effected people.

Highlighted
I've Been Around

You said up upgraded your modem  which one did you go to?

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Internet Unstable, very laggy, huge Spikes PLEASE NEED HELP!!

@ robcoghlankerr:

Previously I had the Scientific Atlanta modem and now I have the Motorola SB5101N modem.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

By pass your router.. connect your computer (whichever one) DIRECTLY into the motorola modem them do a pingtest at pingtest.net ... guaranteed your going to see a difference, if you still have high pings and are sure everything is closed on the computer, give rogers tech a call and they will do a ping test from their computer station to your modem direclty, if the numbers are high too then its a backend issue/area issue or modem issue, if the rogers tech pings to your modem at low and yet when you do the pingtest yourself and are still high then its a user end issue aka your computer