Internet Is Very laggy, Huge Spikes PLEASE NEED HELP!!

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Internet Is Very laggy, Huge Spikes PLEASE NEED HELP!!

Hello Rogers_,

Read my post below, you will get results.  Basically: Record your ping over time with Colasoft Ping Tool or other plotter, present this to tech support, escalate to manager. He/she will tell you that there is no quality standard for Rogers Internet. Then escalate to the Office of the President. The people there will work with you to resolve the issue.

How it turned out OK for me: Once I got to that far in the escallation path, the lady at the Rogers Office of the President was very cooperative. She suggested to replace the modem. By the time I was ready to do that, I measured my delay to my Rogers Default Gateway once more. I was pleasantly surprise to see that the delay dropped to less than 1 ms (lowest measurable value).

Lesson learned: while Rogers will claim that you-get-whatever-we-give-you, when you keep pushing, they will in the background fix the problem. It may take couple of weeks, though. It is actually to Roger's benefit to whip the Internet infrastructure in shape: they can sell more services that rely on large bandwidth & low latency.

Good luck and please report here your results. More user education will result in more pressure on Rogers to deliver good Internet access for all. Think about your post as a form of service to community.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Hi pidli,

Thanks for the advice but I have spoke to a Rogers mod and he said that his engineering team advised that the fix will require some reconfiguration... and guess what? it solved my problem! Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Now my internet is back to the way it was stable lag free internet!!

Rogers_

View solution in original post

Highlighted
I've Been Around

Apparently Rogers is throttling some peer-to-peer traffic, which may include the online games.  I'm playing CoD, which runs pretty good, but World of Tanks fluctuates every few seconds (40-200 ping).  I hope they are going to fix this soon, as I used to play WoT with no issues.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/story/2012/02/03/tech-rogers-throttling.html

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

They have been throttling for some time.

The crtc has said they have to stop. Rogers has said they would by the end of the year. They have stopped in some areas already.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Wow went from teksavvy DSL 6Mbps to Rogers 28Mbps. Roges lag is horrible !

Called twice today and the line seems fine. Then when I'm on, it's like some one poured crud in my engine and it slugs around until it's thrown out of the tail pipe...then vroom...you go.

I'm giving them a few more days before I cancel. I have until October the 6th to make my decision.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

A lot of these are area specific.

I get advertised or higher speeds normaly. But I'm not in a super populated area.

That being said, Rogers still needs to fix theses problems in the areas effected! Just saying its not company wide 🙂

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I don't understand wtf is going on with this ISP.   For the last month I have had NOTHING but a headache and issues which they never seem to have any clue as to how to fix it.   They replaced my modem to fix the whole 1 hour IP refresh that they had "no idea what was going on".  Soon as they replaced the modem, now its a every night past 10:30 PM you can't do anything issue.  

And it's them throttling again.  I can talk on skype and all that stuff fine.  Soon as I log into a game like Diablo 3, It is impossible to play.  Why are they throttling again out of the blue? 

Like tonight right now, I'm on D3 chatting with everyone fine, but in game Im at 2400ms latency.  Surfing/streaming videos fine.  So lame.  I take it Rogers hates Blizzard for some reason.... I guess it's time to start filing complaints to the CRTC again since they just decided to throttle out of the blue again. 

Highlighted
I've Been Around

@Zedonius666

Same issue here, anytime after 7pm till well past midnight is when it happens for me.  I've stopped playing online games during that time period and I'm considering switching ISP's since this has been happening for the past month.  Don't really care what the excuse is, if it's not fixed soon I'll just switch to another provider.

Edit:  Forgot to add I'm from the Ottawa area.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

I'm having similar issues in North York. For the whole day internet's been spikey, and as of an hour ago it became unbearable. 

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2211299574.png

My speed test shows my download speed is at 4.23 Mbps. I've done one about every 5 minutes starting from maybe 20 minutes ago, it's been going from 7 Mbps, to 42 Mbps, then 29 Mbps, then 2 Mbps, and finally 4. I'm paying for an extreme package.

Just feels like Rogers don't really care about their customers. You'd think with the amount of money they're getting every month, they'd be able to upgrade their systems long ago. But no it's the same garbage coming back to haunt paying customers every once a while. And while it's laggy to even browse websites, it's obviously worse in games. Just don't understand if they hate gamers so much, why bother going into the internet business at all?

I don't care if they stop throttling or fix their internet, as soon as my contract's done I'm done too. It's been 6 years and I've given it way too many chances.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Hi,

I just got my Hybird 60 set up with the Cisco DPC3825 modem/router combo. The Up/Down speeds are excellent and the speed is consistently high. However, when I tried to play some TF2 (and a few other games) online, it was unplayable due to huge ping spikes (causing severe intermittent lag).

Take a look here.

The graph at the bottom shows my latency for last minute or so. Halfway, you can see a huge spike that lasted 2 or 3 seconds. My ping, during that period, goes from 30 to 120+. This happens a LOT.

Note:

• There are no downloads running in the background,
  • no wireless devices are running on the network
  • I am also running my PC on a cat6 ethernet cable directly from the modem/router

When I run traceroutes, I'm not seeing anything crazy other than occasional ping spikes on the second hop (pingtest.net is almost always clean). I have never had this problem previously with Teksavvy when I lived in Etobicoke...so I'm not sure what's wrong here. Could it be the mode/router combo? Should I just get my own modem? 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!