Internet Connection

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Around

Internet Connection

So at a certain time in the evening, my internet connection just vanishes and I am unable to recconect. The connection itself is no longer seen which makes it impossible to reconnect. It seems like there is some sort of timer because it goes off at the same time everyday. Is there anything I can do to change it?

***edited labels***

I'm a Reliable Contributor

Re: Internet Connection

These kind of problems are very typical for customers using a Rogers D3 modem - Hitron, Cisco, SMC - it makes no difference. It is sad that Rogers provides such gar*bage equipment. What is even worse is that Rogers does not even care!

I'm Here A Lot

I have Cisco DPC 3825 modem and the connection drops every 2-3 hours out of nowhere and then reconnects back after sometime. What modem you have steve? I was thinking of switching modem but as "Frazzled" said the problem is with Hitron SMC modems too.. then what exactly is the solution?
I'm a Reliable Contributor

The only real solution is for for Rogers to authorize a good stand alone D3 modem. The dropped conncections are a problem with the built in router which is pathetic. Since many customers bridge the modem and use their own router, why not provide a decent modem in the first place? How about we hear something from you Rogers - as in finally admitting that these gateway modems are a failure? Everywhere you look there are complaints - Twitter, Facebook, this forum, other forums - yet so far you have refused to do anything about the issues!!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

While I won't argue that these devices are garbage generally, and that they should be offering a stand alone modem..
Not everyone experiences the drops on them.

I have had both the Cisco and smc, and NOT in bridged mode (just not using the wireless on it), and the unit stays up 24/7 for mints on end.

Often by putting them in bridged mode with your own router, will often actually stop these dropouts. Also not using the build in wireless is sometimes enough.

I agree though that these work around a should NOT be necessary. They should provide one that works or not at all.

I'm a Trusted Contributor

Rather than or as well as a stand alone modem I would hope that they are looking into why the router portion is not working as it should.

I have an older SMC8014WG modem/router and have had very few problems, so it should be possible for newer models to work as well.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Its not just rogers though.
You look across the internet at gateway reviews, on 3rd party sites or other isps, and that almost all of them get similar reviews.
Seems they are generally manufacturer bad Smiley Sad