International Account?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ejep520
I've Been Here Awhile

International Account?

Good morning!

I'm a US citizen looking to get a mobile hotspot I can use while visiting Canada, and I'd like some feedback on what makes more sense: get the device in the US and make sure it has international roaming capability or get a device while in Canada.  I would only be using the device in Canada a week or two per year, so I'd want something that's prepaid.

With luck, Rogers carries such a device and I would buy it online from them but for the second stumbling block I encountered before I started thinking this thru a bit more carefully; Rogers website doesn't seem equipped to handle international orders.  I could make my next trip into Canada one in which I buy the device, but would I have trouble activating the account once I'm home?  Do I need a Canadian address to activate a Rogers phone?

Thanks!

Erik

***Edited Labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: International Account?

Yeah, you really need to sign up for it, while here..

But.

That i now of, they really do not have any PAY AS YOU GO type data only plans 😞

Depending on what your provider down there's roaming packages are.. may be just as simple to use that.
(they may have ADD ONS that make it cheaper too).

View solution in original post

All Replies
Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yeah, you really need to sign up for it, while here..

But.

That i now of, they really do not have any PAY AS YOU GO type data only plans 😞

Depending on what your provider down there's roaming packages are.. may be just as simple to use that.
(they may have ADD ONS that make it cheaper too).

View solution in original post

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

My PayGo rate for calls is now 50¢/minute. Canadian cellphone plans are a lot more expensive than U.S.ones.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
RogersMaude

Good afternoon @ejep520 ,

Thank you for your post & Welcome to the Forums!

I simply wanted to add my input regarding your inquiry.

The Prepaid platform, for a data-only line, might not be ideal. Although it is possible to get a data add-on, it is required to have a basic voice plan.  Depending on your usage, it might become expensive. Click here to view the details of our Pay-As-You-Go plans & add-ons.

In regards to the address on the account , it is possible to put a generic one if you do not have a Canadian address. However, this will prevent you from having the ability to Top-Up using a credit card since the address for it needs to match the one we have on file.

Keep in mind that you can activate a Postpaid line on a monthly term and cancel after a month, for example.

Hope this helps!

RogersMaude