Internal data usage counting against monthly cap

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Internal data usage counting against monthly cap

It is happening to me right now.
Time line:

Monthly plan: 80GB Using: 93 or 98
Last month (March) Upgraded to 120GB plan and upgraded the Modem/Router
I am now 37 GB over the 120GB cap and being told that is just my regular network traffic.
After some investigation, I realized that the days I stream previously donwloaded movies to my Chromecast, the internet usage more than tripples (Yes 3 times or more the regular daily usage).

In the meantime, the support representatives you talk to were trained to deny that ever happening and refuse to explain the traffic.

Manuel

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

It could be a miss configuration on the chromecast?

You are casting from what, a phone? Or a PC?

If the chromecast is say going OUT to the internet, then connecting back inwards, i could see it happening.
(like i run a plex media server.. which i can connect to from OUTSIDE the house, but that will eat up usage... i always make sure when i am internal, that i make sure i am connecting to the INTERNAL address).

I have run for almost 2 years, the SMC gateway (in gateway mode), and currently am on the CGN3.

With both gateways, i have coppied well over 2 TB at different times, between PC and media server (when re organizing). 
Just last weekend alone, i moved about 20g of stuff.  None of these have ever shown up on any usage reports, or counted at all. (the day i moved the 2tb, it showed a whooping 700mb usage that day).

My media server, i watch usualy between a 300mb episode daily... and usually a full movie (so anywhere from 1g to 4g) regularily.  This is streaming FROM my PC, to the CGN3 in gateway mode, out of the gateway, to my wireless Access Point, then to the TV.  I have watched some weekends with my son, a whole season of a HD tv show... never shown up on usage.

IF the chromecast is the one at fault.. sounds like it may be miss configured.

Which exact modem are you on?

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@manuelguerreiro wrote:

It is happening to me right now.
Time line:

Monthly plan: 80GB Using: 93 or 98
Last month (March) Upgraded to 120GB plan and upgraded the Modem/Router
I am now 37 GB over the 120GB cap and being told that is just my regular network traffic.
After some investigation, I realized that the days I stream previously donwloaded movies to my Chromecast, the internet usage more than tripples (Yes 3 times or more the regular daily usage).

In the meantime, the support representatives you talk to were trained to deny that ever happening and refuse to explain the traffic.

Manuel

Chromecast also uses WAN. Example - From your phone youtube app you send the cast request. Chromecast will actually get the data ( payload) from WAN 

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Probably need some more info from the poster.

Sound like, they may have downloaded something, and then were 'casting' it from the.. pc? to the chromecast.  NO, that shoulnt use up usage, compared to youtube/netflix.

BUT.. if using an app, say like the google play movies, etc on it.. those are never DOWNLOADED on the chromecast, and would always stream (therefore using usage), compared to some other android devices which would actually download it.

Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

@Manuel - What app were you casting when you were doing this? 

And I doubt that any CSRs on Rogers would know very much about whether Chromecasting a file uses the WAN or your LAN as these devices are still very rare in Canada and it depends on how you are using it.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Test it yourself.