Intermittent drops, possibly caused by rogers amplifier

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jronald
I Plan to Stick Around

Intermittent drops, possibly caused by rogers amplifier

For the past 3 months my internet has been constantly disconnecting at any chance it can get. Today I had the bright idea to unplug the amplifier that runs from my cable box and is plugged into an outlet in my garage. What do you know! I unplug it and the internet works flawlessly for the whole day, not a single hiccup. However, when i unplug the amplifier i get no signal on my tv box and am unable to watch tv. I have no idea what to do now, I dont want a rogers tech to come over and mess things up further, which is usually what ends up happening when i call someone out. It seems that the amp is causing the internet to flutter but seems to be keeping the tv in check.. Any ideas? On what i should do at this point, I work on the internet and am in desperate need to get this fixed.

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Intermittent drops, possibly caused by rogers amplifier

I would get a tech out and explain your findings, that direct, with no amp, your net is fine.
They should be able to open the box and do the re org of how it SHOULD be done for you. (Again, a very simple of split before the amp for the tv)

Go from there. That at least gives you the proper cabling, from there if still issues can move onto just modem caused, or back end, etc.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Hogwash
I'm a Senior Contributor

Yea, amplifiers have been known to cause 'noise' and signal degradation on the line. Both bad for Internet connectivity.

IMHO just replace the amplifier with a 2 way splitter and see how that works out for you.

Hopefully you'll have both TV and INet.

Ideally, TV's and your modem should be on separate lines from the first splitter inside your house that's connected to the exterior line.

Yea I know, this post is total "Hogwash"
Frazzled
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Then again, the D3  gateway modems have been notorious for disconnects, especially with WiFi. It would be useful to know if jronald is suffering from disconnets when connected via an Ethernet cable or with wifi or both. If it is with WiFi, bridge mode and the use of your own router often solves the problem.

Hogwash
I'm a Senior Contributor

Excellent point Frazzled..........Smiley Happy

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Jronald, I am guessing the spot in the garage is where the line comes into your house?

Then once inside, it splits off in there to the tv, the Internet, etc?

Trick would be to move the amp to the right spot in the order of things.

Let the line come into the house without it. Then where ever the splitter is there, on the feed that goes to the tvs, put the amp there. This way it only amps the signal going towards the tv.

jronald
I Plan to Stick Around

The amp runs from the box on the side of my house, I am not sure how its connected because its inside of the box, it is drilled into my garage. Its a coax cable that is attached to a small square plug that is inserted into the power outlet in my garage.  Im not sure how the lines are split inside the box. I know that i have one line that runs from the box to my modem, and two more that run to two seperate rogers boxes. I have a DPC3825, I have tried to connect through WAN and turn the modem to bridged mode and that doesnt seem to alleviate the problem. I have tried wifi, and that is even more unstable. I connected another router to it and even then its constant disconnects. The only solution is to unplug the amp, which inturn shuts off my cable tv.

Hogwash
I'm a Senior Contributor

Modem disconnects can be extremely difficult to track down. There is no one size fits all solution. The problem could be anything from a bad cable, connection or ground INSIDE the home or a signal/exterior line issue originating from Rogers.

SOME Rogers customers have been experiencing modem disconnects over the past month due to Internet upstream channel instability. There is no way to tell if this is the cause of your issues. You could check your  modem diagnostic page to see if you have 4 upstream channels and that the power levels are within spec. Enter 192.168.100.1 in your browser.

Otherwise call a tech. I would, in this case. They have the proper equipment to track down line/signal issues.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I would get a tech out and explain your findings, that direct, with no amp, your net is fine.
They should be able to open the box and do the re org of how it SHOULD be done for you. (Again, a very simple of split before the amp for the tv)

Go from there. That at least gives you the proper cabling, from there if still issues can move onto just modem caused, or back end, etc.

View solution in original post

Morlu
I'm Here A Lot

This is still happening it's costing me money. I'm getting dissconnected multiple times a day, I do some of my work from home and this is extremely annoying. I'm currently calling them again. If anyone has any fixes I'd appreciate it.

Follow up: (1715) 9/8/13 Rogers technician said he optomized my signal. That I was getting interference, noted that my modem was recording D/Cs about every hour or so. Hopefully my issues resolve. I doubt it's going to be that easy though

jronald
I Plan to Stick Around

Downstream Channels      

Power Level: Signal to Noise Ratio:

Channel 1: -2.1 dBmV 40.9 dB

Channel 2: -2.2 dBmV 40.9 dB

Channel 3: -1.7 dBmV 41.1 dB

Channel 4: -1.9 dBmV 40.9 dB

Channel 5: -1.1 dBmV 41.1 dB

Channel 6: -1.1 dBmV 41.1 dB

Channel 7: -1.1 dBmV 41.0 dB