Intermittent disconnects

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ViRichmondHill
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Intermittent disconnects

@Datalink

My modem does not have any indication of the manufacturer, but some info from the bottom sticker that might help you to identify the model:

PN: CGM4331ROG

I believe it is a Technicolor modem.

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@ViRichmondHill that looks like the new XB7 modem.  Have a look at the back of the modem.  It should have 4 ethernet ports and two telephone ports.  One of the ethernet ports will have a red marking on it denoting a 2.5 Gb/s port.  The presence of the 4 ethernet ports and two telephone ports will confirm that is the newer XB7 modem. 

I'd be interested in knowing if you have the XB7 instead of the XB6.

There are a few pictures of the XB7 in the second post of this thread:

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r32469291-Equip-XB7-Technicolor-CGM4331COM-Arris-TG4482-Wireless-AX...

ViRichmondHill
I Plan to Stick Around

@Datalink- that is exactly what I have - 2 telephone ports, 4 ethernet ports with one marked red. Also picture matches exactly

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

That modem is brand spanking new, as they say, not released to the general public until the 21st apparently. 

Fwiw, it appears that you can get more than 1 Gb/s with that modem if you connect a device equipped with a 2.5 Gb/s port to the modem's 2.5 Gb/s port. 

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r33024400-Internet-XB7-Possible-to-get-more-than-gigabit

ViRichmondHill
I Plan to Stick Around

@DatalinkI have RT-AX86U router that has 2.5 Gb/s port. But currently, on the router, I am connected just to the regular port and my speedtest.net shows 902Mbps download and 32Mbps upload. I will change ports tonight and will re-run the test.

Edit - after some thinking I do not believe it is going to work. My modem will be connected to router using 2.5Gb/s port, but then my PC will be connected to router using just 1 GB/s port, so will not work. As my modem is in Bridge mode, this cannot work, unless I would change modem to regular gateway mode and connect my PC that has 2.5Gb/s port directly to modems 2.5Gb/s port.

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Just for giggles, I'd try it anyways.  Unfortunately, it appears that Rogers has once again released a device without the necessary instructions and info for the users to determine how the device can be used.  Is the 2.5 Gb/s port active when the modem is in Bridge mode?  Good question.  Only one way to find out. 

You will have to change the WAN port setting on the AX86U to the 2.5 Gb/s port.  Its unfortunate that Asus didn't add a second 2.5 Gb/s port to allow a connection to a switch with a 2.5 Gb/s port.  So, with a single 2.5 Gb/s port, that would allow a higher data rate into the router, but, you would need to run a high end laptop using Wifi 6 to really be able to test it.  Even then, you might not see any difference.  Using a traditional ethernet connection running a 1 Gb/s connection rate with one of the AX86Us lan ports, you might see a marginal increase in data rate.  That's an interesting question, what will you see using your current ethernet and wifi devices. 

Running stock firmware or Merlin? 

I'm contemplating switching out my AC86U for the AX86U one of these days.  Just have to run some tests for wifi connectivity with the AX86U to be satisfied that it won't cause any issues, otherwise, I'll certainly hear about it.  Are you running your AX86U with N/AC/AX set for the 5 Ghz wifi mode?  If so, are you running any 802.11AX capable devices and have you run into any issues?  There are more settings to be concerned with, but, just wondering about basic connection issues with AX capable devices.

ViRichmondHill
I Plan to Stick Around

@Datalink 

I am running AX86U with stock firmware. Until Dec last year, I had AC86U, but because of daily disconnects I believed that the router was an issue, so bought AX86U - but that, of course, did not help. I did not see any difference between AX86U and AC86U, but I have not tested anything. I much more require stability than speed and with previous daily disconnects, all family members looked like incompetent . with our employers/school. My spouse's coworker was instantly fired when the employer found that he was working from another country (strong policy against that). With constant disconnects, there was a strong suspicion that my spouse also worked from another, as nobody wanted to believe that Rogers can be so unreliable...

When I switched the new modem to bridge mode, I had trouble making it work until I moved the cable connection on the modem (modem->router) to 2.5Gb/s port, but I am not 100% sure if that is the requirements - no documentation about that.

As soon as I switched the modem to bridge mode, I cannot log in to it either using the rogers app or over the browser.

I do not have wifi 6 devices, so I have not tested that yet.

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Other food for thought:  Rogers has traditionally supported two devices connected to the modems with the modem in Bridge mode.  Each device will receive its own IPV4 and IPV6 address, and in the case of connected routers, their own IPV6 prefix.  If you connect both AC86U and AX86U to the modem, power up the routers and then reboot/restart the modem, each router should receive their own IPV4 and IPV6 addresses and you will have two independent networks available thru the routers.  

You should simply be able to connect the second router to the modem and power it up.  It should be assigned its own IPV4 and IPV6 address.  Sometimes the modem or CMTS is a little finicky and you either have to run the above procedure, or, connect each router, one at a time to the modem, reboot the modem to ensure that the router receives its own IPV4 and IPV6 address, and then connect both routers and reboot the modem to achieve the end state of two connected routers.  

Fwiw, I've been running both AC86U and AX86U at the same time, connected to my 4582, without any issues.  I've done the same with a 68U and 86U, without any issues.  

ViRichmondHill
I Plan to Stick Around

I tried to connect my Rogers Modem 2.5Gb/s port to the Asus AX86U 2.5Gb/s port, but the Asus router has just one port (blue) that is specifically designed to handle modem to router connection, so this did not work. So in bridge mode, this 2.5Gb/s port on the modem is not very useful.

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@ViRichmondHill On the back of the AX86U router, there are six ethernet ports, left to right they are:

1. A 2.5 Gb/s switchable WAN/LAN port.  The default configuration is as a LAN port.  See the instructions below to switch the port from a LAN port (default) config to a WAN port.

2. The WAN port

3. The four LAN ports, where the LAN port 1 is supposed to be a prioritized game port, but, I haven't found any explanation in the user manual regarding the priority of LAN port 1.

To switch the left hand 2.5 Gb/s port as viewed from the back of the modem, navigate to the WAN .... Dual Wan tab.

The Primary WAN configuration item has a drop down menu with the following options:

1. WAN (This is the default WAN port)
2. USB
3. 2.5 G WAN (The default config for the 2.5 Gb/s port is as a LAN port, which can be switched to operate as the WAN port).

Select the 2.5 G WAN option and hit the Apply button.  After that is done, I'd reboot the router, personal opinion. When the reboot is underway, I'd connect the modem's 2.5 Gb/s port to the router's 2.5 Gb/s port.  Once that is all done, the router should be running up to 1.2 Gb/s.  The next question at that point is testing it by using two connected pc's or laptops to see if the combined download rate maxes out over 1 Gb/s.

With the 2.5 Gb/s port running as the router's WAN port, I wouldn't expect any issues with the modem in Bridge mode.  That combination should work just as well as when the router's normal WAN port was connected to any of the other modem LAN ports and modem was running in Bridge mode.