cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent disconnects

josephy
I've Been Here Awhile

I've been having intermittent disconnects lasting ~30 seconds on weekend afternoons ever since I got the Ignite 100 package last summer. It happens on ethernet and wifi, no matter what I'm doing (surfing, streaming, video calling, etc).

When I initiate a chat support session, the signal is usually good and there is no packet loss. But the issue continues soon after -- perhaps every 15 minutes or so.

I've tried swapping the modem, the technician has replaced something outside my house, and I've tried swapping the modem a second time, but the issue hasn't gone away. Rogers chat support has opened an engineering ticket on March 19th but I was told via chat support today that they have closed the ticket and found no issues.

However...! I have gathered some proof. I have started to keep a log of of my modem's signal levels and noticed that the upstream channel 3 signal strength goes up from ~40dBmV to >50dBmV whenever I'm experiencing the intermittent disconnect issue. I also see the following DOCSIS event message: No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;

Here are the signal logs I've kept over the last few weeks: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0ByfHiW1x8WuXbHVvRmg5QjhCWVk&usp=sharing

How can I get this issue resolved? I would rather have slower speeds if it meant that I could have a constant reliable connection. As it stands now, I get good speeds but I can only enjoy it 70% of the week.

*** Edited Labels ***

563 REPLIES 563

Re: Intermittent disconnects

Smols
I'm Here A Lot

same problem support gives me the line that my channels signal is strong. 
Well, explain why ive had rogers for 20+ years and have tons of issues for the past 2. 

Rogers has issues, whole area complain about the same problems. 

netprice2high
I Plan to Stick Around

Been having random but frequent disconnects for the past 3 weeks or so. Always in the afternoon 3pm-6pm-ish. Lights on the Hitron modem indicates normal operation but can't open any websites, ping to Google shows heavy packet loss up to 100%.

This is the signals when I got disconnect on June 8, I think Upstream are a bit low:

Logs at the same time has a lot of "TIME SYNC FAILURE" errors? Modem in bridge mode, have to minus 4 hours to get local time around 16:00 EST:

So I manually rebooted the modem then I only got 1 Downstream and 1 Upstream channel each....

Then next day June 9, Rogers tech visited my home, he told me the Upstream signals were too low and that they should be around 42.5dBmV. He installed an attenuator at the back of the modem, did something on his laptop, told me signals were fixed and left. This was the signal page after he left:

Then 4 days later, websites were extremely slow to open, and live streams were constantly buffering. I checked the signals and I only got 2 Upstream channels again....

And now today June 15, once again in afternoon around 3pm, I couldn't open any websites. Modem lights indicated everything's normal. Logged into modem to see Upstream channels were at 51 dBmV. Ping to Google all timed out, packet loss 100%.

Isn't 51dBmV a bit too high for Upstream? Rebooting modem temporarily fixes it of course but that's a very band-aid solution. Is this a cable issue outside the house? Can one of the Resident Experts please take a look at my signals and give me some pointers? TIA.

What are the specs for Upstream signal? I see posts from @Datalink mentioning 36-40. But when I told Rogers tech who visited my home a few days ago he said "no. should be at 42".

And why is it every time I speak to a Rogers tech on the phone it's like talking to a rock. Every time I talk to them I lose IQ.

My internet went down at 5pm like clockwork again today, for like the 5th day straight. After explaining the situation to the first phone rep (3rd day doing this. Why can't they look up what I told them from the previous days and just use those info since nothing changed and problem is exactly the same??)

Edit: well mod edited my message. Basically Rogers tech on phone blamed me for using modem in Bridge mode and it's my router's fault for bad signal lol

@netprice2high when you talk to tech support, if there are notes that you want retained on your file, instruct the tech to put the following note on file for future reference " xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx", and please read that back to me.  Basically force their hand to record info that pertains directly to the problem.  

For the signal levels, Rogers has historically set the upstream signal levels to a range of 36 to 40 dBmV.  The Cable Modem Termination System will demand that the modem adjust that level so that the incoming signal level at the CMTS meets the required specs for signal level and signal to noise ratio.  

A splitter or signal attenuator will drop the signal level in both directions, downstream and upstream, so, if a tech installs a splitter to raise the signal level, the immediate effect will drop the signal level.  The CMTS will then command the modem to transmit a higher signal level.  Once that signal hits the splitter, it will drop when it passes thru the splitter.  The end result, on the other end of the splitter will be the same signal level that was present without the splitter.  So, no gain.  I'd have to see the number to believe that there is any other result. 

netprice2high
I Plan to Stick Around

@Datalink First, I just wanna thank you for your many helpful posts. I remember reading your posts back in the day on dslreports, and now on this forum, they are always very helpful and I learned a lot too.

I have 2 of those F connector connecting the cable inside the house, and 1 attenuator on the back of the modem from previous tech visit, no splitters anywhere. I came across many of your posts saying the tech support on the phone should do signal check when signals are bad and then the test will fail and then they should schedule a field tech visit. Is that something Rogers used to do but now no longer does?? Because nowadays every time I ask them, they sidestep the request and goes "I checked your line, everything's fine" even though upstream signals are 50-51 and I literally have no internet. I've talked to maybe like 5 "techs" on the phone now and none of them did signal test. Does it cost a lot of money to run? or is it because they are still working from home and don't have the tools to do it?

My internet went down today in the afternoon again, for like the 7th day in a row, I lost count. I checked the signals and of course the Upstreams were at 50 and 51 again, completely out of spec. Then modem dropped the channels to the point I only had 1 upstream channel bonded. This time I outright told the "tech" support on the phone to send a field tech with the ability/tool to climb utility pole. They finally obliged and set up a tech visit, but not before he tried to ask me how many lights are on the modem and what colors are they. Even though I told him my signals are 51 and out of spec. lol... unreal. and very rage-inducing.

I hope this tech visit will be a senior tech, but probably not since it'll be my 2nd tech visit. I saw you mentioned in other posts that Rogers requires everyone to go through 2 contractor visits before sending a real tech. What a pain. I'll probably have to write to ombudsman and CCTS soon.

hansm0leman
I Plan to Stick Around

Just an update on my ongoing issue...It's still happening. I called again and this time the tech on the line put me on hold to check with an engineering team. He returned saying a test scan they did for the area failed and he's escalating to engineering to have a look at a neighbourhood box. I should get a text message within 24-48 hours when whatever they are doing is done.

I gotta say the guy I was speaking to was very good and at least gave me some sense of confidence something is happening. 

Fingers crossed.

User021
I Plan to Stick Around

I have been having intermittent disconnect issues for the last several weeks - I posted to the forum here:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Hitron-CGN3ACSMR-software-v-4-5-8-45-internet-connect...

I switched from bridge to gateway and now at least the internet service is more reliable. But I want to get back to bridge mode.

What router are you using in bridge mode?

vt5
I've Been Here Awhile

What is happening? 
Every day I have at least one dropped connection. Some days it drops consistently every 1-2 hours. I've had technicians come and not be able to identify the issue. 

Today, it dropped twice, and now it just doesn't start. 

Every time I contact the Ignite team, they tell me there's an outage in the area. How many times can there be an outage in the area? 

Somebody please help. It is IMPOSSIBLE to work from home in their environment. Rogers needs to do better. 

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@vt5 what modem are you using?  The modem lineup that Rogers uses is shown on this page:

https://www.rogers.com/support/internet

The Ignite Wifi modems on the left have their model numbers on the bottom of the modem.  The Hitron modems on the right have their model number on the back of the modem.  There is more than one model of Hitron CGN3 which is shown on the right hand side. 

How are you connecting to the modem?  Via ethernet or via wifi?

vt5
I've Been Here Awhile

Ignite Gateway. 

Both ethernet and wifi. 

Ignite support told me that there are **SCHEDULED** maintenance taking place in the area.

At 2PM. 

On a Tuesday. 

They also mentioned that the last 3 times I called these were also scheduled maintenance in the area. 

Why they would schedule a maintenance on a workday in the afternoon when many people rely on an internet connection to work from home is beyond me... 

poofzi
I've Been Around

I just switched from Bell to Rogers a few days ago and it was running really good overall. I wasn't experiencing any disconnections for the first few days but today has been awful. I can't go 15 minutes without my internet completely cutting out and it returns back in a minute or two. I looked at other posts similar to mine and saw that posting my upstream and downstream logs would be helpful so here they are.

IndexLock StatusFrequencySymbol RatePower LevelModulationChannel Type

Upstream
Channel Bonding Value
Not Locked
21 MHz
25 MHz
32 MHz
38 MHz
4 MHz
43.8 dBmV
45.5 dBmV
46.8 dBmV
46.8 dBmV
435000.0 dBmV
QAM
QAM
QAM
QAM
OFDMA
TDMA_AND_ATDMA
ATDMA
ATDMA
ATDMA
TDMA

IndexLock StatusFrequencySNRPower LevelModulation

Downstream
Channel Bonding Value
693 MHz
279 MHz
849 MHz
855 MHz
861 MHz
579 MHz
585 MHz
591 MHz
597 MHz
603 MHz
609 MHz
615 MHz
621 MHz
633 MHz
639 MHz
645 MHz
651 MHz
657 MHz
663 MHz
669 MHz
675 MHz
681 MHz
687 MHz
699 MHz
705 MHz
711 MHz
717 MHz
723 MHz
825 MHz
831 MHz
837 MHz
843 MHz
40.9 dB
42.1 dB
39.7 dB
39.5 dB
39.1 dB
41.9 dB
41.8 dB
41.8 dB
41.9 dB
41.9 dB
42.0 dB
42.0 dB
42.0 dB
41.8 dB
41.5 dB
41.5 dB
41.4 dB
41.3 dB
41.4 dB
41.3 dB
40.4 dB
41.0 dB
40.9 dB
40.9 dB
40.5 dB
40.6 dB
40.2 dB
40.1 dB
40.0 dB
39.9 dB
40.2 dB
40.1 dB
NA
1.7 dBmV
1.9 dBmV
0.0 dBmV
0.7 dBmV
-1.7 dBmV
2.1 dBmV
2.2 dBmV
2.4 dBmV
2.6 dBmV
2.6 dBmV
2.6 dBmV
2.6 dBmV
2.6 dBmV
2.3 dBmV
2.1 dBmV
2.1 dBmV
2.1 dBmV
2.1 dBmV
2.0 dBmV
2.0 dBmV
2.0 dBmV
1.9 dBmV
1.7 dBmV
1.7 dBmV
1.4 dBmV
1.5 dBmV
1.2 dBmV
1.2 dBmV
0.3 dBmV
0.3 dBmV
0.5 dBmV
0.3 dBmV
NA
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
OFDM

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@poofzi Your Upstream transmit power levels are a bit high but still under 50 dBmV.  (52 dBmV is considered failing; in the 40's is still okay)  Overall, your Downstream and Upstream power levels and SNR stats are still within spec.

Is your modem actually rebooting (the System Uptime can also be found in Gateway > Connection > Rogers Network) or is it your WiFi that is dropping/resetting?  Did this instability coincide with adding more WiFi devices to your network?

You might need to call into Rogers tech support.  The L1 tech may not see anything wrong.  If that's the case, ask to be escalated to a L2 tech, who would have access to additional tools and dashboards, and who may also have access to additional WiFi stats.

RDL76
I Plan to Stick Around
This has been an ongoing issue for me for years. Unfortunately the only thing that seems to work for me is unplugging the modem and plugging it back in. It seems relatively stable compared to some of the issues that people are having here for about 2 weeks after that. I'm wondering if the planned Fibre to the Home upgrade would help these issues at all or if it's simply an issue on the Rogers server end.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@RDL76 wrote:
This has been an ongoing issue for me for years. Unfortunately the only thing that seems to work for me is unplugging the modem and plugging it back in. It seems relatively stable compared to some of the issues that people are having here for about 2 weeks after that.

When folks report connectivity problems to Rogers, it would be really, REALLY helpful if Tech Support could provide some confirmation of the glitch and tell you exactly what caused it.

The frustrating thing is that network stability issues that you have all been reporting could have several/totally different root causes.  Folks here have been using terms like "micro-disconnects" and "intermittent disconnects", but that does not point to any specific problem; just that you lost Internet connectivity for a brief period of time and that this disrupted your applications just long enough to be really, really irritating.

The question is, what REALLY failed?

Did your modem reset or reboot?

Did Wi-Fi reset?

Did nothing actually reset or reboot but rather that the bits literally stopped flowing through the Rogers network?

Is DOCSIS connectivity in your area stable?

Did all of your network devices lose connectivity or just those on Wi-Fi?

Is it not a "Rogers problem" at all but rather that the Wi-Fi in your home is totally unstable due to how you have it set up?

Any of the above, and possibly multiple issues could be causing your perceived "intermittent disconnects".

I'm wondering if the planned Fibre to the Home upgrade would help these issues at all or if it's simply an issue on the Rogers server end.

Only if it is a DOCSIS-related problem.  One culprit could be instability due to DOCSIS 3.1 on the Upstream channels getting enabled in your area.

I think that Rogers is also still in the process of doing some network upgrades internally and migrating areas bit by bit.

My service is currently absolutely rock-solid stable.  However, I am also running in a very non-standard configuration:

I have Bridge Mode enabled on my Ignite gateway.  I am only using it as a modem, not for any other network connectivity.  My power levels and SNR stats are all within spec, I don't have OFDMA enabled on my upstream channels, and my Uncorrectable Codewords error stats are zero across all channels.  My Internet connection is absolutely stable.

I'm also running my network on my own router and am also using business-grade Wi-Fi Access Points.  (This gives me visibility to my Wi-Fi connection stats, and all devices have stable connections at their maximum transmit rate, which is either 433.0 Mbps or 866.0 Mbps. on the 5GHz band.)

The only service instability that I ever experienced was a several-month long stretch where I had extreme jitter and latency spikes.  There were random times when the Rogers network simply stopped forwarding packets for 10 seconds or more.  It had nothing to do with Wi-Fi, DOCSIS connectivity, or any problem on my network.  As far as Tech Support could see, everything looked normal... but they couldn't see that my local node/CMTS router basically stopped forwarding packets from time-to-time for several seconds at a time.

I reported the problem to Rogers.  They didn't provide any confirmation or say exactly what was causing it.  They also did not dispatch techs to work on problems that they would never be able to fix.

While walking through my neighbourhood, I ran into the senior area tech, who drives a big Rogers bucket truck, and even he was unaware of any issues in my area and confirmed that everything on the RF side was totally clean.

Then, suddenly, overnight, the litter and latency problems went away.  I also noticed that my router was now getting IPv4 address from the 173.32.0.0/14 CIDR block.  Previously, it had been allocated from the 99.224.0.0/11 block.

My problems got fixed by a network change/fix/upgrade on Rogers' side.  If your problems get temporarily fixed by power-cycling equipment, then you are experiencing a different problem altogether.

Jake2004
I've Been Here Awhile

The connection constantly comes and goes in recent months. Looks like restarting the modem works but it is annoying.

@Jake2004 what modem do you have?  

Here's the Rogers modem lineup:

https://www.rogers.com/support/internet

Jake2004
I've Been Here Awhile
Looks like “Hitron CGN3 and CGNM 3552”, does it matter?

Only for the purposes of providing instructions to copy the signal data from the modem.  The actual modem model can be found on the product sticker at the back of the modem.  

Ok, when you have time, log into the modem and navigate to the STATUS .... DOCSIS WAN tab.  You'll see two data tables there, an upper table (ignore this) and the lower signal data which starts at the Downstream Overview line. 

Park your curser in front of the Downstream Overview line.  Hold down the shift key and scroll down, all the way to the bottom right hand corner of the Upstream Overview line.  You can also use the arrow keys to scroll down and to the right.  Release the shift key, then right click .... Copy.  

In a new post, right click .... Paste.  That should paste in the table as it appears in the modem.  

Can you give that a go so we can see if there's anything obvious in the signal data?