Intermittent disconnects

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hansm0leman
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Intermittent Disconnects

The tech came. He said the signals are all fine and the issue was my XB7 and replaced it with XB6. Rogers has issues with the XB7 firmware and are swapping them out apparently.

I run in bridge mode so I don't personally mind the "downgrade" as I don't use any of the built in features.

I hope this helps my connection. Will report back if the "new" (it's refurbished with scratches all on the side) modem restarts.

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

"the signals are all fine" really??  I'd say that there's something seriously wrong with those signal levels.  You shouldn't have such a wide disparity between the downstream and upstream signal levels.  Maybe you should reinstall the splitter and let it fail, grrrrr.  Was that a contract tech or a Rogers tech?  Just curious at this point.  

What did the tech say about the lack of the upstream OFDMA channel?  Should there be an upstream OFDMA channel running on your neighbourhood node?  The next time that you're chatting with tech support, ask the tech that same question, just so that you know if there should be an OFDMA channel running or not. 

With the XB6 installed, do you have an upstream OFDMA channel running?

If you run into the same problem, don't hesitate to call tech support and register another complaint.  Call multiple times per day if appropriate and necessary.  

hansm0leman
I Plan to Stick Around

It was a Rogers branded van but he said he was service, for modem installs and TV.  When I mentioned how I didn't have ODFMA channels he said that wasn't his area and the call was about my modem.

He showed me his laptop screen with various signal levels and said it was all in spec. He never went to my outside box at all. He said he can run tests from his laptop and it's all good.

New XB6 is pretty much the same:

IndexLock StatusFrequencySNRPower LevelModulation

591 MHz
303 MHz
579 MHz
585 MHz
597 MHz
603 MHz
609 MHz
615 MHz
621 MHz
633 MHz
639 MHz
645 MHz
651 MHz
657 MHz
663 MHz
669 MHz
675 MHz
825 MHz
831 MHz
837 MHz
843 MHz
849 MHz
855 MHz
861 MHz
699 MHz
39.7 dB
40.4 dB
39.8 dB
39.7 dB
39.6 dB
39.5 dB
39.1 dB
39.0 dB
38.9 dB
38.7 dB
38.8 dB
38.8 dB
38.9 dB
38.9 dB
39.1 dB
39.0 dB
37.8 dB
38.5 dB
38.5 dB
38.6 dB
38.5 dB
38.2 dB
38.1 dB
37.6 dB
38.6 dB
NA
NA
0.9 dBmV
-2.5 dBmV
0.9 dBmV
-1.0 dBmV
-1.1 dBmV
-1.0 dBmV
-1.5 dBmV
-1.5 dBmV
-1.4 dBmV
-1.5 dBmV
-1.3 dBmV
-1.1 dBmV
0.7 dBmV
0.8 dBmV
0.7 dBmV
0.9 dBmV
0.8 dBmV
-1.3 dBmV
-1.1 dBmV
-1.1 dBmV
-1.3 dBmV
-1.8 dBmV
-2.2 dBmV
-3.7 dBmV
0.5 dBmV
NA
NA
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
256 QAM
OFDM
OFDM
OFDM

IndexLock StatusFrequencySymbol RatePower LevelModulationChannel Type

21 MHz
25 MHz
32 MHz
38 MHz
46.8 dBmV
46.8 dBmV
46.8 dBmV
47.0 dBmV
QAM
QAM
QAM
QAM
TDMA_AND_ATDMA
ATDMA
ATDMA
ATDMA
Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I should say that I'm surprised with the tech's actions, or lack thereof, but, unfortunately, I'm not.  Didn't bother looking at the cable or the NID.  Get in, get out, and on to the next job.  From your signal levels, you're no further ahead. 

As for the firmware issue with the XB7, that hasn't surfaced on the forum so I can't attest to whether or not that's a real problem.  

Ok, so your in the same situation that you were in before.  If this was the first visit I'm assuming that it was a contractor visit.  Normally customers have two contractor tech visits, after which they can ask for a Senior Tech, which is a real Rogers tech.  So, keep that in mind when you need to call tech support again.  

Keep an eye on your internet performance and don't hesitate to call tech support if you feel that its necessary.  

When you do chat with tech support, ask the tech if your neighbourhood node is configured for an upstream OFDMA channel.  That response alone might tell you how bad the 5 to 42 Mhz frequency performance might be.  

We don't have an OFDMA channel running as the neighbourhood node would require upgrading, so, you might be in the same situation.  Won't know you until inquire about it. 

hansm0leman
I Plan to Stick Around

Good morning, It's already restarted this morning. Are the Rogers staff on this forum a better way to go or should I call back in again today?

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Log into your modem and check the Software (firmware) version shown on the STATUS page.  Perhaps you have been updated to version 7.1.1.37.  If so, there's a modem reboot built into the update process.  This would only apply if your modem is on the trials list.  

If thats not the case, then yes, message the forum staff.  You should see a response from @RogersAndy@RogersTony or @RogersMoin.  I suspect that either way, tech support or forum staff, you might get another contractor visit, but, see what the forum staff can do for you. 

Personal opinion, the tech didn't look at any of the items that should have been examined.

While your logged into the modem, check the upstream signal levels, just to see where they are. 

Smols
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Intermittent disconnects

same problem support gives me the line that my channels signal is strong. 
Well, explain why ive had rogers for 20+ years and have tons of issues for the past 2. 

Rogers has issues, whole area complain about the same problems. 

netprice2high
I Plan to Stick Around

Been having random but frequent disconnects for the past 3 weeks or so. Always in the afternoon 3pm-6pm-ish. Lights on the Hitron modem indicates normal operation but can't open any websites, ping to Google shows heavy packet loss up to 100%.

This is the signals when I got disconnect on June 8, I think Upstream are a bit low:

Logs at the same time has a lot of "TIME SYNC FAILURE" errors? Modem in bridge mode, have to minus 4 hours to get local time around 16:00 EST:

So I manually rebooted the modem then I only got 1 Downstream and 1 Upstream channel each....

Then next day June 9, Rogers tech visited my home, he told me the Upstream signals were too low and that they should be around 42.5dBmV. He installed an attenuator at the back of the modem, did something on his laptop, told me signals were fixed and left. This was the signal page after he left:

Then 4 days later, websites were extremely slow to open, and live streams were constantly buffering. I checked the signals and I only got 2 Upstream channels again....

And now today June 15, once again in afternoon around 3pm, I couldn't open any websites. Modem lights indicated everything's normal. Logged into modem to see Upstream channels were at 51 dBmV. Ping to Google all timed out, packet loss 100%.

Isn't 51dBmV a bit too high for Upstream? Rebooting modem temporarily fixes it of course but that's a very band-aid solution. Is this a cable issue outside the house? Can one of the Resident Experts please take a look at my signals and give me some pointers? TIA.

netprice2high
I Plan to Stick Around

What are the specs for Upstream signal? I see posts from @Datalink mentioning 36-40. But when I told Rogers tech who visited my home a few days ago he said "no. should be at 42".

And why is it every time I speak to a Rogers tech on the phone it's like talking to a rock. Every time I talk to them I lose IQ.

My internet went down at 5pm like clockwork again today, for like the 5th day straight. After explaining the situation to the first phone rep (3rd day doing this. Why can't they look up what I told them from the previous days and just use those info since nothing changed and problem is exactly the same??)

Edit: well mod edited my message. Basically Rogers tech on phone blamed me for using modem in Bridge mode and it's my router's fault for bad signal lol

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@netprice2high when you talk to tech support, if there are notes that you want retained on your file, instruct the tech to put the following note on file for future reference " xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx", and please read that back to me.  Basically force their hand to record info that pertains directly to the problem.  

For the signal levels, Rogers has historically set the upstream signal levels to a range of 36 to 40 dBmV.  The Cable Modem Termination System will demand that the modem adjust that level so that the incoming signal level at the CMTS meets the required specs for signal level and signal to noise ratio.  

A splitter or signal attenuator will drop the signal level in both directions, downstream and upstream, so, if a tech installs a splitter to raise the signal level, the immediate effect will drop the signal level.  The CMTS will then command the modem to transmit a higher signal level.  Once that signal hits the splitter, it will drop when it passes thru the splitter.  The end result, on the other end of the splitter will be the same signal level that was present without the splitter.  So, no gain.  I'd have to see the number to believe that there is any other result.