Intermittent disconnects: Rogers (Extreme)

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Intermittent disconnects: Rogers (Extreme)

I've been going thru the samething richard for almost a solid month now. and plenty others have for far longer than me. 5th tech is out here tomorrow.....again.

I've already contacted the presidents office, if that accomplishes nothing ill be contacting rogers ombudsman, if that still fails I'll then be taking this to the CCTS. Rogers needs to understand this can't continue and whatever resources are required should be utilized and the issue(s) resolved once and for all.

I've Been Here Awhile

Looks like my issue of my modem disconnecting and resetting itself every 3 to 4 days may have been resolved. 

Steps taken to possibly resolve issue:

1) replaced modem Cisco dpc 3825 with the same model

2) splitter originally installed by Rogers tech 2 years was replaced

3) I logged into the modem/router settings and changed dhcp lease time to 0 days from default

Its been 5+ days and no resets or disconnects

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

sounds good so far AK29!

I dont have the Cisco anymore.. so cant go and check..

mind posting WHERE that setting is? so others who have this issue could try changing it.

I Plan to Stick Around

I am experiencing this issue also(Modem is DPC3825) it started around a week ago. I play online games also. Anyway while playing i've noticed i've been getting delays/lag spikes and the losing connection to the web for a couple minutes to have it reconnect. I called rogers got 1 of the worst techs ever she told me to go to speedtest.net and run some tests(I did this way before I called) anyway I ran the tests and told her the results it was around ping 4ms, 46Mbps DL, 1Mbps upload. She was like your package is extreme you are getting more than what is offered. I then said my issue is the lag/dc come and go how does running a speed test when I am not getting the lag do anything? I also requested to check if everything is good on her side. She started saying oh you either get lag or you dont it doesn't come and go. I've never felt like hanging up the phone in my life before but I did

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@RoRo wrote:

I am experiencing this issue also(Modem is DPC3825) it started around a week ago. I play online games also. Anyway while playing i've noticed i've been getting delays/lag spikes and the losing connection to the web for a couple minutes to have it reconnect. I called rogers got 1 of the worst techs ever she told me to go to speedtest.net and run some tests(I did this way before I called) anyway I ran the tests and told her the results it was around ping 4ms, 46Mbps DL, 1Mbps upload. She was like your package is extreme you are getting more than what is offered. I then said my issue is the lag/dc come and go how does running a speed test when I am not getting the lag do anything? I also requested to check if everything is good on her side. She started saying oh you either get lag or you dont it doesn't come and go. I've never felt like hanging up the phone in my life before but I did

Yeah.. some of the first lvl support people are.. questionable on their knoledge... and dont really have much of a clue.

I would try AK's sugestion above, and see if it helps you at all (changing the lease time).

I've Been Around

Hello Forums. My first time posting here.

I've recently switched the the extreme plus internet service. I've asked my friend to move the modem and router upstairs to my living room area in order to get better signal on my bedroom/workstation floor. I have NEVER hit Mbps, as the package claims. I've hit Mbps being right next to the router, and I'm not dragging a 100F cable from the living room upstairs (I doubt it will reach anyways). Upstairs in my work room I get only 7MBps at most, once I've gotten 10Mbps, but that was a feat that only happened once. I have the SMC Wireless N gateway that costs 200$. For 200$, I expect much more. I'm not going to purchase another modem. Also, the internet dramatically slows down after 8PM~ to about 1-3MBps. Ping is around 20ms or lower
Can anyone help me in this horrible situation?

Also, is anyone else having this issue?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

THat you are getting the varrying slowdown.. that COULD be a rogers end issue.. unless possibly there are multiple people USING the internet at that time.. could effect the speed.  The only way really to check.. is to wire into the gateway.. test the speed prior to when it normaly slows down.. and test it at the slow down time, with NO ONE ELSE on at the time.

Truthfully.. the wirless can have alot to do with it.  I am using the same SMC gateway, but with my own router with it.  I can pull my max MBPS aprox on wireless when i am right beside it wireless..  but if i go to the far corner of the house (which my router reaches further than the gateway), its down to 1-2 bars, and i can not pull full speed at that point.  My ping is regularily about 20, when im on wireless.

The only way to MORE guarantee the speed, would be to hardwire to the area.
Another option, would be to use a 3rd party router.. which may have better signal strength which may help in  your situtaion. 

People ask me, why i dont BUY my hardware from rogers.. these things are one of the reasons.  At $7 a month, it will take me 2 years to get to the $200.. so after that, yes, i am paying MORE than someone else.

But, in that timeframe, i can return and exchange the router 100 times if i wanted.  Also if things change, i could switch to a different modem, etc.

I've Been Here Awhile

i don't have the option of "0 days" on my lease time Smiley Sad
I've Been Around

I went under Setup at the top menu, then clicked the  Lan Setup tab.  Under DHCP server settings I just changed what it was to "0" where it says "minutes (0 means one day)". It automatically changes it to 1440 minutes (one day) when you click save settings. I'm assuming that's what ak meant.

I've Been Here Awhile

I had a terrible connection this summer then I got fed up, line tested it myself with full statistics and used a scanner from a friend in the trade, shoved the numbers and data up their rear ends so they couldn't dispute it... Finally got a new line installed, then a month later the twits go and start adding splitters to my line at the street level again and making it almost as bad as it was before... how do I know?? Because the splitters add almost exactly 3dbm per split to each channel, which then increases output power levels (to try and keep a good connection) and also decreases signal to noise ratios because amplifying garbage just makes louder garbage...

I'm guessing by the end of the winter I'll have to do the whole routine again, after talking to some neighbours about it the problem is clear, they simply shift our lines around until one of us complains, then the next guy gets the problem until he complains etc....

They are too cheap and lazy to add the infrastructure needed to support their "high speed" internet, at least Bell has been busy laying fiber line everywhere for when they need it. Rogers is almost at the max capacity of their current docsis setup.