Intermittent disconnects: Rogers (Extreme)

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Around

Re: Intermittent disconnects: Rogers (Extreme)

Same issue in Caledon east with Business internet. Internet releases IP adress every 60 minutes, then picks up IP again.

Junior tech came out, tested line - was a little noise so he padded line - did not fix problem.

Junior tech came out, tested line - all was ok - swapped modem from SMC to Cisco - did not fix problem.

Maintentance came out, tested line - all was ok - stuck around to watch the DHCP release - sent to engineering.

Engineering said all was ok - send back out a tech.

This is has been over the course of 3 weeks - RING AROUND THE ROSIE!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I beleive i posted this earlier in the thread, but will again, my findings on this.

And this does NOT obsolve rogers of fixing the issue... they TOTALY should be.

Looking up the errors, you will find that this happens both in canada and the US.. with many different providers, with even both D2 and D3 modems.

Bigest conclusion i saw across all the posts, it seemed to happen in oversold, over congested areas for the infrastructure.. its like there is too much going down the one pipe, that it cant get a reply back, and that it reset the unit to try and re establish communications again.

I've Been Here Awhile

I'm also in Ottawa, and have also had internet connection errors for the last six weeks.  

One change I made in the last month that has helped performance somewhat is changing the DNS servers I was using, since the default ones appear to be overworked, and do not provide DNS lookups as fast as another one I chose.  If you Google "dns nameserver performance benchmark" you can find a free utility that scans DNS nameservers and finds and recommends the optimum ones for your location.  

I then changed this DNS setting in my Rogers Cisco DPC3825 cable modem, and let all my home PCs default to get DNS lookups from the modem setting.  This has helped speed up my internet browsing significantly, WHEN I am not having a connection problem.  I'd be interested in whether others experience a similar performance improvement, if you have not already optimised the DNS server you've selected.

I've Been Around

Hey guys, for those who have the new Cisco router/modem dpc3825 and are getting the intermittent disconnections, I FOUND THE SOLUTION!!!!!!! (at least for me, so give it a try). Ok. So pretty much what I figured out was that due to the router and modem put together, the voltage for both devices in 1 fluctuates dramatically causing unstable connection and disconnections. What you should do is go into your modem/router, and then look for something called "BRIDGE MODE". What happens is that it turns your router/modem into a modem itself therefore becoming more stable. What happens after this is that you must connect the "New" modem into your OLD router OR plug your computer into the cisco modem. This should give you a more stable connection. Now the problem is, once you turn your modem into "BRIDGED MODE" you cannot access your cisco device anymore. What you need to do if you DO want to access your device again is to reset it for 60 seconds by plugging something into the hole for that certain amount of time or call rogers to do a factory reset. THAT IS IT. 

REMEMBER, YOU ARE TURNING YOUR CISCO DEVICE FROM A ROUTER/MODEM INTO A MODEM THEREFORE YOU MUST CONNECT YOUR DEVICES INTO THE "NEW" CISCO MODEM OR PLUG THE NEW CISCO MODEM INTO YOUR OLD ROUTER. GOT IT? GOOD LUCK! 

IF IT DOESN"T WORK, POST ON THIS AND WE'LL FIGURE IT OUT TOGETHER. IT ANGERED ME A LOT TOO!!! HELP IS ALWYAS NICE =) 

I've called rogers a million times and got 3 technicians and another one scheduled for tommorrow within 3 weeks, but it seems that i may have to cancel it now =). 

I'm a Senior Advisor

It is good to see that you have discovered the Bridge Mode aspect of the D3 modems. The sad fact of the matter is that this is the solution of choice for many customers for all the Rogers D3 modems including the new Hitron. The D3 gateways are well known for both dropped connections and poor range. There are already numerous threads on these forums discussing the possible fixes, including having the modem placed into bridge mode. You may wish to do a little browsing. You might also wish to look at a couple of other forums where these issues have been discussed for the past few years.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=195

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/rogers

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Just as a note.. while it MAY help with the dropouts with these, putting them in bridged mode, vs regular gateway mode..  it may be a combination of area + the non bridged mode.

I currently have mine in non bridged, just easier for me for network layout, and it does not drop out.

I Plan to Stick Around

Hey Blood....I'm in Orangeville and my issue is stil unresolved ever since they came into town Sept. 20th and did maintenance. I've had several techs at the house, have spent HOURS on the phone with tech support..and still unresolved. At the moment I have my 3rd ticket in their engineering dept (I presume) and if it's not resolved by Monday (Oct. 8th) I'll be left with little choice but to switch to Bell (which I REALLY don't want to). Rogers is forcing my hand here, and it plain sucks.
I Plan to Stick Around

I have my DPC3825 in bridged mode and I can still attach to it.   After login I see a screen saying bridged mode with a message in red saying :Bridging this device will disable wireless and all advanced functionality which may cause services/devices within the home to stop working.

So I have not tried this but I suspect that if I change it back to router mode I'll find all my previous setting there although I think I'd do a power fail reboot just in case.

Like everyone else I wish rogers would just provide a simple D3 modem

Here is a question for you all.... does the DPC3825 in router mode have IPV6 capability to use the Rogers 6RD system ?

Again I am not prepared to alter my system to try it at this time.

I'm Here A Lot

I've Been Here Awhile

Continue to experience the same issues. Ive tried 3 different routers. Its not an issue from my side. Rogers as usual as no idea whats going on.