Intermittent disconnects: Rogers (Extreme)

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Intermittent disconnects: Rogers (Extreme)

I started to have T3 timeouts with Cisco DPC3825 about 3 weeks ago on my HS internet.. nothing was changed inside the house so the problem is most likely outside of house. Called pretty much daily (10 times..my patience is beyond thin) and all I got is please check the splitter, make sure you plug the modem in the outlet and not power  bar etc...mundane stuffs... 

Finally one technician came out yesterday to replace the cable out sideo the cable bo.  However the problem still persists after he left.  It's not the modem because I have replaced them 3 times already...

The strange thing is the timeout tends to happen in the evening I guess when most users are online around the neighborhood.  I could be at the end of the loop...but who knows  Also I read somewhere on Internet that it could be an signal amplifier issue at their end..Mentioned that to them but they don't want to send anyone to check it out again.

The other beef I have is they keep putting off the appointment and schedule them during weekday which means I need to take the day off from work..I don't understand why can they check the connection outside when we're not home..but no , they insisted..no someone has to be home else no appointment..not very accomodating...

So there it goes, end of the road with Rogers for me !  I'll cancel the sub and see if I can void the 1yr contract as they do not deliver the service.

Good luck to everyone out there with Rogers...Cable modem is not as good as I thought !

By the way, the SMCD3GN modem sucks big time..don't go to that model. It advertises as N gateway , but I can't connect to it > 54mps. Tech support guy insisted that it's my PC's modem card . I checked my PC's spec and it has N wireless card....Also if it's the wireless card, how can't they explain that why I can connect to the Cisco DPC at 144mps...

Tech supports at Rogers is not the brightest I've found !

I've Been Here Awhile

By the way, I despise their robotic Customer Satisfaction Survey call. Never give out your cell phone when you register with them....

They will keep calling you...the number is 1-866-895-6005.. !!!! One way to anger a customer even more !

I've Been Here Awhile

Yup, I'm from Ottawa also..Sounds like a common area ..Rogers better do something or their customer base will be eroding fast !
I Plan to Stick Around

Same issue here with the SMCD3GN model...was working absolutey flawlessly until rogers came into my city and did some "upgrades". As soon as they did that, my modem resets automatically like clock work every 60mins down to the second. They sent a tech out, he installed a new one which was fine for about 18 hours....but its now doing the exact same thing...reboots every 60mins without fail.

I find it a VERY odd coincidence that as soon as they did these so call upgrades in my area this is the result. Not sure if my neighbours are having the same issue but ill be asking around now.

If this can't get resolved within a week its time to move on. I work from home and rely HEAVILY on internet use. I can't afford not to have it, or have it but lose it every 60 mins all day every day.

I'm in the Orangeville area btw, not sure if any readers here are from the same area.

I'm a Senior Advisor

It is really unfortunate that Rogers sees the need for these upgrades. Both their modem upgrades and the recent upgrades on PVR boxes are wreaking havoc on their customers and Rogers never wants to admit that perhaps they have made a mistake. Then, when you call tech support, they want to blame it on your equipment or your computer!

I'm Here A Lot

Same issue here. Disconnects every single hour. Modem is SMC on the Ultimate package. Have tried reboots and resets; no resolution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@chrisu91 wrote:
Same issue here. Disconnects every single hour. Modem is SMC on the Ultimate package. Have tried reboots and resets; no resolution.

Not saying this will fix it.. but a few people have swapped their SMC lately.. and found it to stop.. not sure if a different firmware version, etc, that is fixing it., etc.

I Plan to Stick Around

I've gone from my SMC to the new Hitron Technologies CGN2-ROG router. I was having the same issue as before, first cropping up while playing Eve Online. I was getting "Socket closed" errors in game and I noticed all other computers woud drop internet connection, and the Wii would stop playing netflix videos for a few minutes, then come back up. Searching the Eve online forums showed alot of players were having the same issue, so I figured it was an issue with the new patch for the client.

Then the internet started dropping while I wasn't playing the game.

I haven't played it since yesterday, and have installed the new modem this afternoon. Just surfing and watching youtube and I've noticed my msn messenger sign out and back in again, notifying me of unread messages. I checked the router's admin page, and sure enough, the WAN connection had dropped and the uptime counter reset. All i've done to the router was change the admin password and the SSID for the wireless, then set the encryption password. I'll be calling Rogers shortly to see if they can find something wrong, but yesterday when I called they couldn't find anything 'currently' wrong with it.

As a Computer Tech myself, I can appreciate the position these people are in. There are many times when users have come to me with an issue and it magically resolved itself on the walk to my desk. It happens. It's just annoying not to be able to have logs or be on the phone with a tech when it actually drops in front of their eyes and they can see the WAN connection gone for a few minutes. It just doesn't happen that way. The router is like a little kid in the corner going "Neener, neener, neener." and behaving perfectly fine when a grownup is watching.

I've Been Here Awhile

Having the same issue also located in orangeville seems i get disconnected every 30-60 min for a 20 seconds and then it loads up again.

It is a pain.

Have you had any luck resolving it?

I've Been Here Awhile

My Internet has been going down every 3 to 4 days for the last 5 weeks. When I log into the Cisco dpc3825 which is in bridge mode the log shows dhcp failed. Once I reboot my linksys e4200v2 router the Internet is restored for another few days. Rogers claims its my router but I don't experience any issues with it. Wifi and wired connections are stable and fast. I also use the built in USB port as a nas with my hard drive with no issues on a daily basis. 
More history on the issue:
5 weeks ago my modem was replaced due to the modem going offline every 5 minutes. I had the smc router/modem they replaced it with the Cisco doc3825. 
Since may I have been experiencing pixelation and sound cutting with my cable tv service. 
Rogers claims the modem has not gone offline for 18 days and the signal is fine. 
I have noticed the modem go offline for a few minutes and cycle back up. 
I restored my router to factory settings today. If this doesn't work I will be replacing my router to rule it being faulty. 
Does any one have any experience or thoughts on my issue? Is it my router or is it a problem with Rogers Internet?
I have to add my router was bought in may of this year and I haven't any issues it.
Thanks in advance