Intermittent disconnects: Rogers (Extreme)

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Intermittent disconnects: Rogers (Extreme)

Im still on the Motorola SB5100 and according to the modem logs it keeps diconnecting and resetting. This is an issue with Rogers for sure. I have done everything on my end.

Now its time for them to step up and own the issue, 9 weeks is long enough.

I'll be looking for a mojor discount from this issue.

I've Been Here Awhile

I have similar problems aswell, although I hope mine arent as severe.

I am a new rogers customer, so I assume that I have the latest hardward in regards to the modem.

When surfing, or gaming alone on my single PC I experience no problems whatsoever. However, when another computer is being used on the network, wether its wired or wireless, the internet WILL disconnect 100% of the time.

It disconnects without warning, my latency does not increase before the disconnect happens, it just disconnects. I have used multilpe routers and both experience the same problem.

I still have some other things to try in-terms of router configuration with opening ports, etc. But I fear it is either a modem problem or a Rogers service problem. Likely to do with infrastructure or the service area being overloaded with customers.

I'll keep updating here on my progress like others have.

I've Been Around

Similar to what others have posted, I too am experiencing the same random, but frequent disconnects... I am a new rogers customer, and I have the SMC D3GN Gateway modem/router, with several laptops connected to it via wireless and wired. Like Butum, the disconnects occur without warning and the latency does not spike prior to the disconnect...

I called Rogers tech support twice already, and they've scheduled a technician to come look at it tomorrow... This seems like a problematic issue for many people, and I really hope Rogers can look into this and resolve the dropping issues we're experiencing
I've Been Here Awhile

Looks like I have a senior tech coming again tomorrow. Im told only the senior techs can call in a maintenance crew to work on the the cable box (trunk) in the neighborhood.

I've Been Here Awhile

Great News.

I tried my last resort option, which was using port forwarding on my most commonly used applications. Lastnight I had four computers running on the network, 2 we're streaming, 2 we're browsing the internet and I experienced no problems whatsoever.

For those with starcraft problems, or problems related to disconnects when gaming, check the games website which will have information on which ports to open on your router.

Good luck!

Community Manager (Retired) RogersErin
Community Manager (Retired)

That is great news Butum, thanks for sharing!

Have fun playing StarCraft  Smiley Happy

I've Been Here Awhile

Update:

Problem not resolved. This is 100% a modem or infrastucture issue on rogers end. My connection to my router is 45dBm, a near perfect connection. When I experience these interrupts I do not lose my connection to my router.

I will be contacting rogers tech support like you guys have.

Community Manager (Retired) RogersErin
Community Manager (Retired)

@Butum

Thanks for the update.

I've Been Here Awhile

I finally have a spot where I can ask this question.

I'm having issues like everyone else. My connection will drop unexpectedly. This has been going on ever since I was with Rogers (over 3 years now), and it's been impossible to find an answer. Sometimes it will disconnect  several times a day, sometimes not for months; it really does seem random. I'm running the modem directly to my PC, and have no splitters between the wall and modem (although I have before, and experienced the same issue). When the modem is connected, speeds are excellent, and I have no problems. It's a WebSTAR DPC2100R2.

EDIT: I should add, that the modem disconnected while I wasn't home. I came home today, and it was disconnected. It took me half an hour trying to reset/restart the modem.

All I want to know is if this is a modem issue (which I could easily get exchanged), or a Rogers issue (which is harder to exchange)?

I managed to grab the log / status of my modem while it was disconnected.

I would really appreciate it if someone had some inciteful comments

LOG (copied at 4:30pm EST, Oct 1, 2010):

================================

Fri Oct 01 17:18:32 2010       Critical (3)      Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Un...
 Fri Oct 01 00:55:05 2010       Warning (5)      DHCP RENEW WARNING - Field invalid in response
 Tue Sep 21 00:12:36 2010       Critical (3)      Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - ...
 Time Not Established      Critical (3)      DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response.
 Time Not Established      Critical (3)      DHCP FAILED - Discover sent, no offer received
 Time Not Established      Critical (3)      No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
 Time Not Established      Critical (3)      DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response.
 Time Not Established      Critical (3)      No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
 Time Not Established      Critical (3)      Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Un...
 Fri Oct 01 20:17:35 2010       Critical (3)      SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire QAM/Q...
 Fri Oct 01 17:18:32 2010       Critical (3)      SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire FEC f...
 Time Not Established      Critical (3)      DHCP FAILED - Discover sent, no offer received

SYSTEM:
=======

Name
     WebSTAR DPC2100R2

Hardware Version

Software Version
     v2.0.2r1256-080303U

Receive Power Level
     -25.6 dBmV

Transmit Power Level
     36.7 dBmV

Cable Modem Status
     Not Synchronized

SIGNAL
======

Downstream Status
     Not Ready

Channel ID

Downstream Frequency
     621000000 Hz

Modulation
     unknown

Bit Rate
     0 bits/sec

Power Level
     -25.5 dBmV

Signal to Noise Ratio
     51.5 dB

Upstream Channel
The data shown in the table below provides information about the signal being transmitted to the network from your cable modem.

Upstream Status
     Not Ready

Channel ID

Upstream Frequency
     0 Hz

Modulation
     QPSK

Bit Rate
     0 bits/sec

Power Level
     36.7 dBmV

=======

Cable Modem Status
     Not Synchronized

IP Address
     ---.---.---.---

Current Time
     Fri Oct 01 20:20:07 2010

Time Since Last Reset
     10 days 21h:25m:52s

Configuration File

Cable Modem Certificate
      Installed

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Same problem here.

We just recently upgraded from Rogers Ultra-lite to Express. We have only had the new service for a month and have been continually having this problem since we got it... The internet just drops for a few seconds, and then comes right back... There are 4 computers and sometimes a Playstation 3 (all wireless) that can be connected to the internet at any given time. When the connection drops, it doesn't always affect all devices, usually just one. I find I have this problem the most often during the day, but usually not late at night. It's most frustrating when trying to game online on the PS3.

I was starting to think I should change my modem or router or something, as they are kind of old... but reading this forum tells me that probably won't help... 

It's apparent that this is probably a service issue, and my bet is they don't really have a way to fix it... starting to think maybe Bell would have been a better choice...