Intermittent disconnects: Rogers (Extreme)

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Intermittent disconnects: Rogers (Extreme)

Oh sorry, on that imgur link there are two images, you just need to hit the view next image in the album, here is another link to it though.

http://i.imgur.com/uAEX70t.png

They seem to be at about the same number on the upstream part as the link to the thread that you showed me though.

However, I do see that my downstream numbers are definetly above average. I tried to disconnect everything from the router before and just left my ethernet cable from my desktop plugged in, while no other devices were connected to the WiFi and i still got the disconnects Smiley Sad.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Ok, your upstream power seems normal.  Just have to sort out the downstream power levels.  Disconnecting everything will not change anything as that DOCSIS Wan Downstream and Upstream data refers to the signals that are passed over the RG6 cable between the CGN3 and the Rogers transmit / receive equipment down the road.  I suspect at this point that the disconnects are related to the high receive voltage at the CGN3.

Can you check the following with the phone ethernet uplugged and plugged in.  Right click on the local connection icon on the lower right hand side of the monitor and select "Open network and sharing center".  When that panel pops up, click on the "Local Area Connection" link on the middle right hand side to pop up the "Local Area Connection Status".  In theory it should read 1.0 Gbps.  I would expect to see that if you are connected directly from the pc to the CGN3 with a short Cat 5e or 6 patch cable, and your phone ethernet is not connected.  If you connect the phone ethernet to the CGN3, I suspect that the connection data rate between the CGN3 and pc might drop if the phone does not support gigabit data rates and the CGN3 at some point determines that a 10/100 Mb/s device is plugged in and throttles down the connection for every port.  You might be able to confirm this through testing.  I wonder if there are other possible side effects to this such as high ping times associated with the throttling down.  I haven't seen anything in the forum regarding this, so at this point I'm just thinking of the possibility.  You might have to reboot the CGN3 to return to square one while you are testing this.  If you start with the phone connected, look at the pc to CGN3 data rate, then unplug the phone ethernet cable reboot the CGN3 and then have a look at the data rate again. 

If you determine that the phone is dropping the CGN3 connection rates, you might want to install a gigabit switch in between or plug the phone into your other router, assuming that the router is gigabit capable. 

If your CGN3 is connected downstairs to the RG6 cable, and your pc is upstairs, connected vie house CAT 5e, looking at that data rate will tell you if in fact the CAT 5e has all 4 wire pairs connected from end to end.  If all wire pairs are connected, the data rate should read 1 Gbps.  If all 4 wire pairs are not connected, the pc and CGN3 will auto-negotiate the data rate until both are happy to proceed.  The end result will normally be somewhere below 100Mb/s.  While that may not be important if its above your Rogers data plan the resulting effect on the CGN3 will probably be to throttle down the existing connection resulting in overall wired performance which would be poor in comparison to what it should actually be.

I Plan to Stick Around

Alright following the steps you posted and will edit this post as i do each step.

Speed is at 1 Gbps with the phone connected so... I guess I can skip the step of unplugging the phone and doing the test again?

EDIT: i just had a new splitter installed in my room where the modem/router, PC, and internetphone are all connected. by any chance will there need to be a new splitter installed in the electrical box in the basement? as I looked at it and it seems kinda out dated. However, not sure if the cables in that splitter have anything to do with the phoneline/internet cables.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yep, skip the rest.  The one final test would be to run a speed test with the same conditions, phone ethernet plugged in and phone turned on, and then phone ethernet unplugged.  If the speed tests are identical that excludes the possibility of any 10/100 Mbps effects. 

Was the splitter installed by Rogers?  I don't have Rogers TV, but I do run a Rogers homephone.  In the comms closet  downstairs I have a splitter which splits the incoming RG6 cable signal into two paths:  one for the CGN3 and one for the homephone.  If all of your equipment is upstairs  I would expect the cable downstairs to be interconnected with a barrel connector such as this:

http://www.weiku.com/products-image/11097142/F81-COAXIAL-RG6-SATELLITE-ADAPTER-BARREL-CONNECTOR.html

This would essentially create one continuous cable from the cable box outside to your CGN3.  If all you have is Rogers internet, and you run your phone off of an ethernet connector, I don't see why you would have any splitters at all.  I think I am missing part of the picture, so to speak.

Here is a pdf link to the splitter type that Rogers is currently using.  I have a two port splitter installed for internet and phone.  There may be other manufacturers that are used, but this is currently installed for my service:

http://moto.arrisi.com/product_catalog/_docs/_specsheet/REGAL-ZINCDIGDROPSPLITTERS-TS.pdf

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

okay well speed tests have pretty much the exact same results without the internetphone and with it on speed test. Except i got higher speeds with the phone plugged in, what in the heck !? haha. I went to the splitter downstairs and the ground was broken so i got my wire strippers got a new line of ground and screwed it back in but i STILL have the disconnects. The splitters were all installed by Rogers so I have ran all out of ideas on what to do now.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I would recommend a chat with tech support, concentrating on the issue of the high receive signal power and the service dropouts that you are experiencing.  Find out what their upper limit is in terms of the signal power and if that current situation is cause for them to send a tech to your house.  And, when the tech does arrive to sort this out, also confirm the requirement for any and all splitters that are installed in your house.

I Plan to Stick Around

called the techs and got the usual respone of " oh nothing is wrong on your end, all the signal strenths are fine"(even though i told them about what the normal signal strengths are according to the thread you linked) "Yeah we will have to send a technician out there to see what the problem is". Man I'm so fed up with the same responses time in and time out, it's really getting on my nerves. In the mean time I'm thinking of just hooking my router make up and putting the HITRON modem/router back into bridge mode. Could you tell me where i can find that setting in the router page? I've done it before but i can't find it this time.

EDIT: haha they were also telling me that my modem and stuff was still on bridged mode and not upgraded, until i told them that i literally had that problem dealt with a week prior to this, they put me on hold for like 5 min. I don't think their tech is capable of handling this issue. I think it is server wide and they just dont put the expenses in to fix this problem once and forall. Instead they keep dealing with these cruddy companies to liscense their garabge equipment to turn a profit.

Sorry I'm just really flustered at the moment

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I absolutely understand the frustration.  After logging into the CGN3, go to Basic.....Gateway Function.  Disable the Residential Gateway Function.  Save the change and I suspect that it will reboot on its own.  After that, you will then be relying on your own router.  Model# out of curiosity?  Don't let tech support off the hook.  Everytime you experience a drop out, they should be advised.  Put them on speed dial.  I think they generate an event or tracking # for every call.  Start noting that number for each call.  The number of complaints will add up very quickly.  Did tech support definately say they were going to send out a tech?

I Plan to Stick Around

Yeah they said they will send out a tech 10-11:59am on monday. All they did was reformat my router, it was good for like almost an hour untill the drops started happening again. I'm just gonna bridge up the modem put my router in until they can come and fix this issue. I'll keep you guys updated in the following days if they fix anything in particular to get this problem sorted out.

Linksys Wireless G WRT54G btw. kinda old but it did the job for about 6 months till i experienced the lag spikes and resorted to going back to hitron for modem and wireless after i couldnt go back to my linksys router page under the dafault ip. Kept getting a web page could not be contacted/ didnt respond.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Actually.. you DONT want to use that router with it Smiley Sad

There is a BUG with the CNG3, where some 10/100 devices will not link properly with it.

The 54g is definately a 10/100 port on it.

I definately think its potentially BAD wireing/splitter/layout.... problem is sometimes where you WANT the gateway.

Putting it off a line split to TV, etc.. could cause to high/low issues.. depending on the power comming to that spot, etc.

PROPER setup.. should be line from the street, into the house.
From there.. split.
of one side of the split... internet (& home phone if used)

other side, off to the TVs (splitter as necessary).

This allows, for if there is a LOW signal, for a boster, etc to be there, and NOT effect the internet/phone.

Only issue with THIS setup is.. if you want the gateway in another area.. you have to run a 2nd line, to that area.
(this is why in my setup.. i did the gateway downstairs.. then a LONG cat6 cable up to the living room, with my router there)