cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent disconnects: Rogers (Extreme)

eyesradar
I've Been Around

I'm getting intermittent disconnects on my Rogers Extreme Cable service since last Monday, It was all good before tho. Usually it will reconnect within 30 seconds, but is very very annoying when Im playing Starcraft 2, it will instantly dropme out and BOOOO.

It's so hard to do a diagnosis, cuz it only lasts like 15-30 seconds.

BTW  i live in Mississauga, Ontario.

Thanks

***edited labels***

140 REPLIES 140

Re: Intermittent disconnects: Rogers (Extreme)

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@RoRo wrote:

I am experiencing this issue also(Modem is DPC3825) it started around a week ago. I play online games also. Anyway while playing i've noticed i've been getting delays/lag spikes and the losing connection to the web for a couple minutes to have it reconnect. I called rogers got 1 of the worst techs ever she told me to go to speedtest.net and run some tests(I did this way before I called) anyway I ran the tests and told her the results it was around ping 4ms, 46Mbps DL, 1Mbps upload. She was like your package is extreme you are getting more than what is offered. I then said my issue is the lag/dc come and go how does running a speed test when I am not getting the lag do anything? I also requested to check if everything is good on her side. She started saying oh you either get lag or you dont it doesn't come and go. I've never felt like hanging up the phone in my life before but I did

Yeah.. some of the first lvl support people are.. questionable on their knoledge... and dont really have much of a clue.

I would try AK's sugestion above, and see if it helps you at all (changing the lease time).

Hello Forums. My first time posting here.

I've recently switched the the extreme plus internet service. I've asked my friend to move the modem and router upstairs to my living room area in order to get better signal on my bedroom/workstation floor. I have NEVER hit Mbps, as the package claims. I've hit Mbps being right next to the router, and I'm not dragging a 100F cable from the living room upstairs (I doubt it will reach anyways). Upstairs in my work room I get only 7MBps at most, once I've gotten 10Mbps, but that was a feat that only happened once. I have the SMC Wireless N gateway that costs 200$. For 200$, I expect much more. I'm not going to purchase another modem. Also, the internet dramatically slows down after 8PM~ to about 1-3MBps. Ping is around 20ms or lower
Can anyone help me in this horrible situation?

Also, is anyone else having this issue?

THat you are getting the varrying slowdown.. that COULD be a rogers end issue.. unless possibly there are multiple people USING the internet at that time.. could effect the speed.  The only way really to check.. is to wire into the gateway.. test the speed prior to when it normaly slows down.. and test it at the slow down time, with NO ONE ELSE on at the time.

Truthfully.. the wirless can have alot to do with it.  I am using the same SMC gateway, but with my own router with it.  I can pull my max MBPS aprox on wireless when i am right beside it wireless..  but if i go to the far corner of the house (which my router reaches further than the gateway), its down to 1-2 bars, and i can not pull full speed at that point.  My ping is regularily about 20, when im on wireless.

The only way to MORE guarantee the speed, would be to hardwire to the area.
Another option, would be to use a 3rd party router.. which may have better signal strength which may help in  your situtaion. 

People ask me, why i dont BUY my hardware from rogers.. these things are one of the reasons.  At $7 a month, it will take me 2 years to get to the $200.. so after that, yes, i am paying MORE than someone else.

But, in that timeframe, i can return and exchange the router 100 times if i wanted.  Also if things change, i could switch to a different modem, etc.

Big_JR
I've Been Here Awhile
i don't have the option of "0 days" on my lease time 😞

asdfgg
I've Been Around

I went under Setup at the top menu, then clicked the  Lan Setup tab.  Under DHCP server settings I just changed what it was to "0" where it says "minutes (0 means one day)". It automatically changes it to 1440 minutes (one day) when you click save settings. I'm assuming that's what ak meant.

Sniffynose
I've Been Here Awhile

I had a terrible connection this summer then I got fed up, line tested it myself with full statistics and used a scanner from a friend in the trade, shoved the numbers and data up their rear ends so they couldn't dispute it... Finally got a new line installed, then a month later the twits go and start adding splitters to my line at the street level again and making it almost as bad as it was before... how do I know?? Because the splitters add almost exactly 3dbm per split to each channel, which then increases output power levels (to try and keep a good connection) and also decreases signal to noise ratios because amplifying garbage just makes louder garbage...

I'm guessing by the end of the winter I'll have to do the whole routine again, after talking to some neighbours about it the problem is clear, they simply shift our lines around until one of us complains, then the next guy gets the problem until he complains etc....

They are too cheap and lazy to add the infrastructure needed to support their "high speed" internet, at least Bell has been busy laying fiber line everywhere for when they need it. Rogers is almost at the max capacity of their current docsis setup.

mart0091
I Plan to Stick Around

They upped the promised packages.  They're suppressing users with the D2 modems, to try to feed the ones who's wasted the extra money on the D3's.

I was having the VERY frequent (every 1/2 hour, on the hour/half hour) disconnects.  Had ALL cabling in my unit replaced, proved my computer/NIC weren't the problem, replaced modems (on my 6th now, One of the Cisco D3's I sure hope I'm not getting billed for.. CAT team said they'd upgrade me free on it, yet... billing is showing the increased costs, and no rebate... yet)  It SEEMED to have fixed the issue for a few days, but, I appear to be starting on the disconnect cycles... AGAIN.

Mart0091:

Are you using the new cisco as regular? Or is it in gateway mode with your own router?

mart0091
I Plan to Stick Around

New modem: Cisco DPC3825 DOCSIS 3.0 Gateway, I've had it as router, and gateway (switched it back to router, during the last tech visit, for troubleshooting purposes.. been too lazy to switch it back... 2 minute cycle time ... ick! :P)  The flip-flop for the default gateway address is a bit... mystifying too... Aaaanyways, I usually don't use a router (normally hardwired, 1 unit)

They've upgraded my modem (and covered bill for 1 year).  Got customer service to take some off the bill too, since issues have been ongoing since August (5 months now)

mart0091
I Plan to Stick Around

Update:  The credit for the modem has been provided, for 1 year....
We'll see what occurs in another 10 months.

mart0091
I Plan to Stick Around

Explains quite a bit, a little more elloquently than I was able to try to describe to the techs.

Innovanet
I've Been Here Awhile

It's been a while since the last post on this thread but it seems I'm having this issue now in Nepean (just outside Ottawa) and it's starting to affect my ability to get work done. I've been getting the intermitent disconnects for quite a while now but every time I call, by the time I speak to someone, it's back. VERY FRUSTRATING since it makes the issue appear to be on my end which it isn't.

Anhow, I've looked at switching to Bell but the speeds aren't comparable for the price so I'm a little stuck at the moment. I suppose I won't have a choice if this isn't resolved soon.

Ex.

DHCP RENEW WARNING - Field invalid in response v4 option;CM-M...

Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received...

MDD message timeout;CM-MAC=18:59:33:f8:9d:38;CMTS-MAC=00:12:43...

Lost MDD Timeout;CM-MAC=18:59:33:f8:9d:38;CMTS-MAC=00:12:43...

SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire QAM/Q...

There's more but it cuts off in the logs.

K.

Ever since yesterday my rogers gateway/modem (CGN2-ROG model) had been disconnecting every hour. Ended up switching it into bridging mode at 9am this morning (by following instructions on http://cshouse.ca/bridge-mode-workaround-for-rogers-router-cgn2-rog-with-some-help-from-the-asus-rt-...) and it hasn't disconnected yet.

@Innovanet

I would recomend, doing as jbreaker did.. it seems to be the best way to solve the issue 😞  Should HAVE to.. but it works.

Putting it in bridge mode, changes it into a modem only in essence, and use a 3rd party router.

hgffh
I Plan to Stick Around

Man its 2014 and they are still having this issue, it is so frustrating. have the newest Hitron CGN3ROG aswell but I keep getting the intermittent disconnects...

Here's my log

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

06/25/14 03:27:43 90000000 warning MIMO Event MIMO: Stored MIMO=1 post cfg file MIMO=-1;CM-MAC=78:8d:f7:4c:8e:60;CMTS-MAC=00:05:00:e2:79:bd;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

06/25/14 03:52:17 68010300 error DHCP RENEW WARNING - Field invalid in response v4 option;CM-MAC=78:8d:f7:4c:8e:60;CMTS-MAC=00:05:00:e2:79:bd;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

06/25/14 03:52:17 68010600 notice DHCP Renew - lease parameters tftp file-bac102000106788df74c8e60 modified;CM-MAC=78:8d:f7:4c:8e:60;CMTS-MAC=00:05:00:e2:79:bd;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

06/25/14 12:51:29 82000200 critical No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=78:8d:f7:4c:8e:60;CMTS-MAC=00:05:00:e2:79:bd;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

06/26/14 03:52:16 68010300 error DHCP RENEW WARNING - Field invalid in response v4 option;CM-MAC=78:8d:f7:4c:8e:60;CMTS-MAC=00:05:00:e2:79:bd;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

06/26/14 03:52:16 68010600 notice DHCP Renew - lease parameters tftp file-bac102000106788df74c8e60 modified;CM-MAC=78:8d:f7:4c:8e:60;CMTS-MAC=00:05:00:e2:79:bd;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyone know how to fix this? Do I really need to get a router and set the HITRON to bridged mode? I was using a router before till I was getting ridiculous ping spikes in my internet and I couldnt access the router page to try and tweak the settings. Any help is appreciated,

Thanks.

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

How long have you had the CGN3?  The original firmware was problematic in terms of the slow interface and ping times from what I remember reading through the various posts.  That has basically been dealt with by a firmware update, which is now version 4.2.4.3  That takes about 3 to 4 days to download after you have it up and running at your home.  Can you log into the CGN3 and confirm what firmware it is presently loaded with?  Fwiw, I use the same CGN3 with the 250Mb/s package and don't experience any issues with it.  I run the 5Ghz wireless on it and use another router at the other end of the house for the 2.4Gghz wireless net.  Were you running another Rogers modem / router previously, or is this a new service?

hgffh
I Plan to Stick Around

Hey, I've had this modem since like Oct-Nov 2013. I've had this problems with previous modems before in the years before that till i switched to this one. It would be fine for a few months then I started to get the same old problem again. After the first few months like Dec 2013-Feb 2014? I attactched my own router to the mix and set the modem to bridged mode. Everything was fine with the router until a week or two ago when I would be getting really high ping spikes from a steady 90-100ms in a MMORPG im playing to about 300-400. I thought it might be the games fault so I tried several ping tests and had similar results. I decided to switch back to the modem from rogers and it was fine for 3-4 days after it was reset to factory settings, but now the same old issue with the disconnects is going on AGAIN. where would I check to see what firmware I have on the router page?

EDIT firmware is at version 4.2.4.3

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

When you log into the CGN3, it shows the status page.  On that page on the left hand side is the SW version.  I expect that since you have had this for a while it should be at 4.2.4.3   So, my initial thoughts are a cable or connector problem, which can take a long time to develop and can be extrememly irritating as it proceeds from an occasional hiccup to a final failure.  Can you describe your network setup and indicate what devices are connected directly to the CGN3.  There is a bug within the CGN3 whereby any 10/100 Mb/s devices plugged directly into the CGN3 cause it to throttle well below 100Mb/s.  This is the case with switches or motherboards which contain 10/100 Mb/s ethernet ports.

hgffh
I Plan to Stick Around

Alright well this is my setup. Hardwire connection(ethernet cable) from my desktop computer to my modem/router(hitron CGN3) from there I also have an internet phone adapter that connects to the modem and also a (phone router?) that transfers the signal to all the other phones in the house. All other devices be it laptops,phones, 1 desktop are all done through the wifi. 

Also the motherboard i use is the 

GIGABYTE GA-Z77-DS3H LGA 1155

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The Gigabyte motherboard contains an Atheros GbE LAN chip (10/100/1000 Mbit), so that shouldn't cause any problems unless it was set for 100Mb/s full or half duplex instead of Auto for the connection rate.  I'm wondering about the phone interface and what it runs at.  Have you tried an experiment by pulling the phone ethernet cable off of the CGN3 to see if the CGN3 behaves as you would expect it to?  If not, give that a try, pull the cable, reboot and see what the result is in terms of ping times.  What data package are you on at this time?

hgffh
I Plan to Stick Around

alright im running the Hybrid Fibre 60 package: 60mbps down 10mbps. Trying to disconnect the phone cables atm to see if i get the same issues. Hopefully I will be able to find out soon enough if this was the issue as I have been having these disconnects for the past couple of hours. It's also really strange that today I did not have this issue at all though the whole day until 10pm EST.

We Want Your Opinion
Would you be interested in becoming a Community Testing Lab member?