Intermittent disconnects: Rogers (Extreme)

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm Here A Lot

Re: Intermittent disconnects: Rogers (Extreme)

My hourly disconnects no longer occur as of 3 hours ago. So, the issue was most definitely a problem on Rogers' end.

I Plan to Stick Around

just got off the phone with a rogers tech and I think we got somewhere with this issue. I was doing a live chat with a rep when it actually disconnected in the middle of the chat, while I was watching the WAN uptime clock. It has been disconnecting every hour pretty much on the dot.

So the technician set the router to bridge mode and I connected via lan cable. Turns out the DHCP address lease time is set to 1 hour exactly, which as the tech said, is coming from their servers.

So she sent it off to engineering to have my lease time increased and sent it to her manager so it would be expidited. I will let you guys know how this turns out. If they can increase the lease time to a week or something that would be fine. I can stay up late one night and power cycle my router so it would get a new IP late at night next week and I'll never have to see this issue again.

I Plan to Stick Around

They did the same thing with me, bridged the modem, noticed the DHCP expired in an hour, sent in a Ticket, no resolution. This was last weekend.....but, so far today I haven't had any disconnects/resets in aprrox. 4 or 5 hours now. I'm not holding my breath just yet but I am crossing my fingers.

By the way I'm in Orangeville.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Problem with mine is the lease time is 3-4 days. Not as bad as others which happens every day or every hours. But still annoying then I have reboot my router every time. 

I Plan to Stick Around

I just called rogers and got another modem of the same model because the cisco router wasnt in stock. Still the same issue.

I'm annoyed at my previous ticket though. It was escalated to engineering team and the automated call I recieved said it was resolved. Talking to the tech today said the notes on the ticket stated that engineering said it was a single user issue and they wouldnt do anything to fix it.

Is no one else calling rogers about this? I made sure to advise them about this thread.

I Plan to Stick Around

Sorry for the double post. I think I solved my issue.

I put the Hitron modem in bridge mode and connected a linksys router to it. Logged into Eve Online and left to go to a movie. Got back and its still connected where before It would disconnect when the internet dropped every hour.

Perhaps the Hitron modem is just a crappy gateway device. Using it as a modem seems fine. Maybe it just doesn't handle DHCP renew's well and my linksys router does a better job at it by not dropping the connection.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I have mine with a linksys router on it.. but NOT in bridged mode.. the gatway is still doing the DHCP, etc.. and i dont have the dropouts, where i am.
So i am not 100% sure its just the gateway causing this.. i think there is something else on the network backend.

BUT, it does seem that, like you said, for those experiencing this, putting it into bridged and letting the router handle it.. its maybe less.... sensitive? to it.. and not doing the drop outs. 

Glad it seems to be working for you, hopefuly it stays that way.

I've Been Here Awhile

I had the same problem (in Barrie). I took the router/modem to Rogers and swapped it. The Cisco 3825 they gave me didn't have that problem.

I Plan to Stick Around

And here we go again. Resets stopped Tuesday Oct. 9th and have once again restarted Friday Oct. 12th. Barely even lasted 4 days.

I've Been Here Awhile

Been having this same problem for exactly 3 weeks now. I've been told to cycle my router about 50 times by techs that have no clue what they're doing. Changed frequencies, moved my gateway, got a new one, moved it, cycled it, etc..

Had a tech come to my house, he had absolutely no idea what to do. Told me he would escalate it to a senior tech, but that it might be a few days before they came by, and that they wouldn't tell me when they did...

Finally I get a call saying yeah, they're gonna send out a senior tech. In a week.

If this issue is not resolved by then, I really have no choice but to switch ISP's, and I don't want to do that at all because up to this point I've had a great experience with Rogers. But this whole runaround deal is getting old.