Intermittent disconnects: Rogers (Extreme)

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Retired Moderator RogersAndrew
Retired Moderator

Re: Intermittent disconnects: Rogers (Extreme)

Hi Hula. To properly identify where the issue is occurring, the next time your connection goes down, I would suggest making note of the light pattern on the modem itself to see if the connection from Rogers is dropping or if it's dropping from the router. Depending on the modem that you have, you should see 4 solid green lights (Motorola) or a solid cable light (Webstar, SMC) if the modem is online.

Despite intermittent issues occurring for multiple posters here, each instance will need to be investigated on a case by case basis. As RogersReggie has already suggested, if the issue persists, please contact our support via 1-888-764-3771 or via live chat at http://echat.rogers.com, preferably with a direct connection from the computer to the modem for proper troubleshooting.

I've Been Here Awhile

Unfortunately that's nearly impossible because the modem and router are in a different room on the main floor away from all the bedrooms where the computers typically reside... as there is no telling when the connection will die and as it only goes down for a few seconds, by the time I got to the modem/router, it would be fine again. In any case, I will be trying a new router... but from what I see here, it's not going to help... and perhaps this sounds bitchy, but to be honest, I have a feeling that any support I tried to get from Rogers would be a waste if time and more effort than it's worth... but I might try anyway, if I get desperate/frustrated enough.

Rogers Employee Netbug
Rogers Employee

Hey, Hula.

There's always a reason, and usually a solution. Need to narrow it down though. Rogers would have no trouble swapping the modem if that is the cause, but from what you're describing, it really sounds like the router.

I'd suggest temporarily hooking one device into the modem, just to test for a few hours, to see if it occurs. If it does, it's something with Rogers end. If it doesn't, it's the router or something else interfering (possibly wireless).

Just use process of elimination to narrow it down.
I've Been Around

I'm also having this problem, I'm getting disconnected from about 75% of my games.  This is so frustrating!

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

So is it that nobody can answer my question, or is it being ignored?

My modem has disconnected again, for the 2nd time this week (previously it had not disconnected since I wrote my original post).

It is definitely NOT a problem with my router or computer, and therefore will not be calling Rogers to go through some mundane "reset your computer, delete your cache" kind of process. I don't have the patience.

I just want to know if this is a "feature" of the modem, or a "feature" of the Rogers service. I have no problem replacing the modem, if I know that's where the issue lies, but I'm not going to waste my time just trying a different modem, if I know that these disconnects are attributed to the Rogers network, and will happen with any modem.

Oh well. Luckily I shouldn't have too long to wait for Fibe TV (and internet) to come to my area. Right now, that's the only solution I can think of.
Retired Moderator RogersReggie
Retired Moderator

Hi garbuckle3000,

Welcome to the forums.

From the log you posted earlier, it appears that it could be a modem issue. The best way to determine whether it's a modem or network issue is to call in to complete the troubleshooting. As "mundane" as it may seem to you, it is required to complete the troubleshooting to determine the root cause of the issue. If you don't feel like completing the troubleshooting, you can try going to a retail store to try to swap your modem, but they most likely will check your account to see if there are any notes indicating that you've done the troubleshooting. If not, they will probably ask you to call in anyway first.

If the issue is intermittent, it is important to note approximately when you got disconnected, this way, we can check whether or not there were any area issues, or if there was a signal problem at the time you were disconnected. If neither of those are the case, it is most likely a modem issue at which point a technician can be sent to your residence to investigate, or you can swap your modem.

Let us know how that goes.

RR
I've Been Here Awhile

Thank you for the reply. Next time it goes down, I will make the call.

All I know right now is that resetting the modem solves the issue, but that doesn't tell me if it's the modem or the Rogers network.
I Plan to Stick Around

I  don' know where you live, and therefore I don't know if there are any particular "quirks"  with the Rogers network in your area.   I can say with reasonable confidence,  that when Rogers has a network problem,  it usually lasts for quite a while,  from hours to over a day,  and resetting the modem doesn't solve it.

Fortunately,  outages do not happen very often.   I have been using their service for about 8 or 9 years now and I can count the number of outage on the fingers of one hand.

The outages you are describing that are fixed with a modem reset really sound like a local hardware problem.  I suppose it could be a problem on the local cable connection outside,  but the fact that resetting the modem reestablishes your connection sort of points to the modem.  

I would suggest that you do the tech support route (tedious as it can be)  as they can look specifically at your modem when you are having the problem and perhaps determine the cause by the response they get back from the modem.  

Although the marketing policys at Rogers are baffling,   most of their tech support guys  (second tier and above) are pretty sharp.  The first tier people will sometimes ask you to reinstall things,  (one asked me to reinstall Windows once)  but resist that request unless you know  there is a possibility that you may have damaged some software thru a virus or malware infection, or recent software updates or uninstalls.  If your problem began after any of those types of events,  then you might end up rolling back the changes to see if the problem disappears with the pre-update software. 

I DON'T work for Rogers and my opinions are my own.  Most of them more than likely do not represent Rogers company policy and I bet they wish I would keep quiet about some of them.

I've Been Around

I have been using Rogers Extreme service when it was introduced 2004. For so many years I have been a happy customer with its performance and reliability.  But the service had degraded so badly and drastically this year since summer. I had the exact the same issue as everyone on this thread, my Extreme internet connection got disconnected intermittently and would restore itself without any manual process.  When I checked my router's log I saw the constant TCP attacks almost every 10 minutes from one or more different IP addresses, I was wondering if the DHCP time-out and WAN disconnection had any connections with those attacks. 

Would you guys who had routers please check if you have the same situation?

I called Rogers tech support for a couple of times complaining about this, they really cannot do anything at best, some tech support would be worse providing some stupid advice or pissing you off by rude manners.

I've Been Around

I have had disconnect issues a lot over the last 3 weeks. We have high speed internet with a Rogers modem and D-Link router. The short (1-3minute) disconnects usually happen if more than one person is online at a time in the house. It is not unusual to have 2 pc's and one lap top on line here. Very frustrating. We are not gamers, however we do have an x-box on line. The problem has not happened when this is on. To make matters worse, my Rogers Home PHone has been going dead as well. This happens mid call and can last 30 seconds to 3 minutes. ONline tech says to get new rogers modem/router all in one. Not sure how this helps my phone...

So I am obviously not techy but any laymans advice would help.