Intermittent disconnects: Rogers (Extreme)

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Around

Re: Intermittent disconnects: Rogers (Extreme)

I am having the same problem - our modem loses connection 6 to 7 times a day. Resetting the modem solves the issue but is definitely not a solution. What is Rogers doing to resolve this - I would be interested in hearing from them in reply to this.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

For anyone that has this happen, are you calling in, even daily about it? THe more calls, the more tickets on it, will push the issue. Encourage others in the area that are having the same to do so as well.

I've Been Around

Another user in Ottawa with the same issue, just the last month or so. Thought at first maybe my router was dying.. not the case.. it's the internet pipe. So frustrating, especially since it's a one horse pony show in my neighbourhood. 

I Plan to Stick Around

This was happening to me, it stopped.  They still came in and replaced my modem.  Now my download and upload speeds are half of what it used to be.  On Extreme getting 10mb down and .5 up.  GO ROGERS. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

where are you speed testing too?  Location can make all the difference as well.

I can run a speed test right now. to toronto and get over 35 (on a 28 plan.. but thats the speed boost), and close to the 1up (900+).

But if i say use even new york, it drops down to under my plan speed.

I Plan to Stick Around

I tried multiple places. Spots I usually pick all the time to test my speeds.  Not to mention even browsing is slower.   I fully understand that many things could effect the speeds and latency, but enough is enough with this company.  

Take Diablo 3 for example.  I used to have a latency of 140. now its 230 + constantly.  Thought it was the D3 servers, but everyone I play with sais they are fine. 

I often use the nvidia website to test speeds as well.  I used to get 3.8mb/sec downloading the drivers, and now im getting 500k/sec.  

Also I use the BF3 server browser to test pings.  Those have skyrocketed as well. 

I also cannot stream anymore unless I wait 10 minutes for it to buffer.  All this after a NEW modem.  My internet speeds were fine prior to this.  The only issue was the d/cing.  Pretty funny that 1 problem goes away and a new one rises.  Guess it's back to calling this new annoyance in. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Its possible you got a botched modem again?  That.. or it something else in the area.  There any new subdivisions, etc in the area?

That, is still a rogers issue in the end, if its overselling in the area, etc.

But just saying, its not 100% the gateways fault.  I am running the same one, non bridged mode (but wifi off, using my our router as a access point only).. and have never had a disconect.  I play wow and D3, at about 150-200, which is the same i had, prior to that modem.  DL speeds are fine.
But i am also in a bordering rural area, where there is not likely any overselling, etc going on, where it could impeed performance.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I'm getting the disconnect once per day with the "Unicast Maitenance" error noted above.  New subdivisions are going up in my area.  Previous calls are always met with "Well your neighbours modem has been online for 20 days straight".  Personally I'm starting to think it's a line of BS they use at the call centre.  I guess my problem is not that bad compared to some but I've had two tech visits to the house which didn't completely eliminate the problem.  Not once has Rogers admitted the problem was on their end.  IT would be nice to know what was going on forsure.

I Plan to Stick Around

I find it amusing that this post got marked "Solved".  I just gave up.  My Internet now is so bad I just stopped using it.  Going to downgrade to the lowest possible and look at switching in the near future.  Rogers is a waste of time and money.  In the last year I have had nothing but problems with it.  

Random D/cs

Slow downloads

Horrible for gaming

Poor Customer Service

Throttling not removed yet

Overpriced

Low quality Hardware

It's very clear that this company does not focus on value at all.  They offer you a poor service at a rediculous price.  The fact that they BLAME the issues on someone or something else ALL the time is absurd.  I know A LOT about computers and know 100% of the issues I have had, IS ROGER's fault.  My D/C issue took almost 9 Phone calls before they admitted they were having issues on their end.  Seriously, just horrible.  When they finally "Fixed" that issue, something else is wrong.  So instead of d/cing all the time,  my internet is now slow and sluggish ALL the time (it takes me almost a minute to check 1 email account).  I can't stream anything.  I can't play games.  And they expect me to pay full price in a month? haha, yeah right. Goodbye.  

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I completely understanding if you want to leave, due to it not being able to be resolved.  I would too.

I just wanted to say, for anyone that does read this, that it is not always that way across the board.  I use the same gateways, same services, same speeds, and in my area, and that it is 100% fine. 

Again, not saying that these things are NOT rogers fault, in the case of Zed's problem, they are, but they tend to be more area specific.  It is still something that rogers needs to fix.

Best wishes to you Zed, hopefuly you can find someone that works better in your area.