Indicator Issue

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Indicator Issue

Hello,

I’m really hoping someone can assist me with this issue. I’ve gone to Rogers several times and they say it’s a Blackberry issue and I’ve gone to Blackberry several times and they say it’s a Rogers issue.

Here is my situation:

On July 30 I received a call from a telemarketer and they left a message. When I deleted the message an indicator I hadn’t seen before appeared on my screen with the number 50 next to it. I looked up what the indicator is and it’s for visual voice mail. I do not have this service on my account. 

Here is what I’ve tried:

• I deleted all of my messages but the indicator remained.
  • I pulled the battery and rebooted but the indicator remained.
  • I pulled the SIM card and rebooted and the indicator went away – then I put the SIM card back in and the indicator came back – This is why Blackberry said it’s a Rogers issue
  • I also tried leaving an urgent voice mail and then deleting it but the indicator was still there
  • When I called Rogers they said it was a Blackberry issue because I don’t subscribe to visual voice mail and since I bought the BOLD from RIM directly it probably has partial software on there for visual voice mail.
  • I called RIM again and they insisted it was a Rogers issue due to the SIM card pull I mention above.
  • I called Rogers back and we deleted the mail box and reset it to see what happens. It didn’t work as the indicator came back.
  • I called Rogers back and they sent me a list of instructions to back the BOLD up, wipe it and reinstall specific programs when I reinstalled the OS and my apps. I tried this but again, the indicator was still showing.
  • I called RIM back and again – they insisted it was something “floating around on the server” that made this indicator come on when the SIM was plugged in.

Here is a pic:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zz440veewmi4ibl/icon.jpg

Again I really hope someone on your end can assist me with this as it’s quite frustrating.

Thank You ....

****Edited Labels****

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: Indicator Issue

Hello Caprican.

Seems like Rogers & Blackberry are sending you back & forth. This is something that both companies should have been able to help you out.

Have you tried to do a factory reset or reinstalling the software back on the phone?
If not then try those. This is something that has happened to me & once i did those, it helped me.

Here are the instructions on how to do it.

"The following steps assume that you already have the operating system installed to your computer. If you do not, please download and install the OS to your computer to ensure that you are installing a clean version to your phone. To download the OS, go to your carrier's download site, available here: http://na.blackberry.com/eng/support/downloads/download_sites.jsp.

Before you do anything, back up your BlackBerry device. Open the BlackBerry Desktop Manager and select Backup and Restore. On the next screen select Backup and perform a full backup of your device data. Note where the backup file is located (usually in the Documents folder). Close the BlackBerry Desktop Manager and leave your device plugged in.
Open Windows Explorer and go to the following folder: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader\ and open the Loader.exe file. In Vista 64-bit computers, the file is in C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader. Depending on your computer's settings, you may need to show hidden folders (under File > Options for Windows XP or Organize > Folder and Search Options in Windows Vista).
After the device configuration has been retrieved, you will be on the Device Application Selection page. You may scroll through the list to ensure all the applications you want are selected. You can also de-select any applications you don't use to save space. Click Next.
On the next page, click on the Advanced button. Ensure that both boxes (Delete all application data and Delete all currently installed applications) are checked. Click Next.
Proceed with the OS reinstall. Note that this process may take 10-30 minutes (usually ~10 minutes). Do not disconnect the device.
Once the process is complete, re-open the BlackBerry Desktop Manager. Select Backup and Restore and open the Restore application. Select the file to restore (Backup-(Year-Month-Day).ipd) and click open. Follow the steps to restore your device.
Re-enable your device connection by going to Manage Connections and turn on your Mobile Network. Re-download any missing applications and re-connect to any BlueTooth devices and you're done."

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Device-software-for-BlackBerry/How-To-Reload-Your-Operating-S...
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Hi and thanks for the suggestion. The Rogers rep sent that to me as well and I tried it. Here's a new twist - I put my SIM card in my friends Torch and the indicator came up as well. So it shows up on a different model as well. Any ideas?

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hmm..

First thing i would suggest is doing is.

Step 1 . Turn your phone off...then call your cell and leave a message. Turn the phone on and then go to your voicemail and listen to the message. Listen and then delete it; then press the appropriate key to disconnect from voicemail, don't just hang up.. That should clear the "voicemail" icon...if not, turn the phone off and then back on. I had the same problem and fixed it by doing the above.

IF this does NOT help then follow Step 2.

Step 2. Have you tried buying another sim card & register it on your account & see what happens? If not then i suggest doing it. The Sim card will only cost you $11 dollars ( $9.99 + tax).

IF you already have done this Step 1 & 2 & you still have warranty on the phone with Rogers, I suggest sending it in for repair OR you can always talk to tech support & have them send out a replacement phone ( same as the one you have) & it will only cost you $35. ( this will cover the device being sent too you & you sending your device back to Rogers).

Those are the only options i can give & seem that work. I really hope all this works out for you.
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Well  - I tried the voicemail options below and neither worked. I'm going to drop into Rogers this weekend and see about getting a replacement card. Thanks for the suggestions.