cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incoming Long Distance Charges

Enginerd
I've Been Around

Why am I being charged for incoming long distance calls? Shouldn't that be charged to the caller?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Incoming Long Distance Charges

Micolas
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Hello Meowmix

You're right, I saw a question about collect calls and got side tracked.

Long distance has some rules that can be a bit confusing, so I think I'll have to break it down into two sections of "Outgoing calls" and "Incoming calls" as well as some basic information.

To know some of the rules, I'll have to explain how a local calling area works and what defines your local calling area. When you are assigned a telephone number, they seach a database of registered numbers based on where you state that you are using your services. The first 6 digits define your local calling area as well as where your number is registered to. As an example, numbers 1-6 in the following are what define your calling area 123-456-**** . Bear in mind, Home phone and cellular local calling areas can be different.

Incoming call rules regarding long distance:

-Any incoming calls while within your local area (defined by your telephone number) are considered local

-Any incoming calls while outside your local calling area (defined by your telephone number) are charged as long distance unless you have a long distance option on your plan.

-Where the incoming call is coming from, does not matter and only affects how they are charged and not yourself.

Outgoing call rules regarding long distance:

-Any outgoing call to any numbers of the local calling area that you are currently in are considered local (regardless of your local calling area)

-Any outgoing call to any numbers outside of the local calling area that you are currently in are considered long distance (even if it's back to the local calling area that you are registered to unless you are within it).

-Where the number that you are currently calling is located does not matter, but only where it is registered to. Example: If they are registered to your local calling area but they are traveling outside of the country, still only counts as a local call for you.

As a quick way to remember is that incoming is your registered local area, outgoing is current local area.

Hope this helps. 🙂

Edit: sentence structure.

View solution in original post

27 REPLIES 27

Phyberoptix
I've Been Here Awhile
http://www.rogers.com/web/Rogers.portal?No=0&_nfpb=true&Ntt=LCA&_pageLabel=search

If you are not physically within your incoming local calling area when you receive a call, long distance charges will apply. The physical location of the person calling you is not important.

For example, if you have a Toronto wireless phone number, and you are physically in Toronto when you receive a call from Vancouver, long distance charges will not apply because you are within your incoming local calling area (Toronto).

Receiving a call
All calls that you receive on your wireless device while you are physically within your incoming local calling area are local. All calls that you receive while physically outside of that area are long distance.

Making a call
If you dial a number that is local to your physical location, then it is a local call. If you dial a number that is long distance to your physical location, then it is a long distance call.

TIP: If you're unsure if the number you are calling is local to your location, simply dial the number as ‘local' (area code + 7 digits). If the number is long distance, your call will be completed, preceded by a network recording advising that the call is long distance.

jhycha
I've Been Here Awhile

I  don't get it.  If someone calls me then that person who made the call would be paying for the long distance.  So why would I the person receiving the call have to pay long distance, that would make 2 long distances charges for the same phone call.  Is that legal.  Can Rogers actually double dip.  Can someone explain why there are 2 long distances charges for 1 phone call. 

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
It wouldn't be Rogers double dipping. Whoever the caller's provider will charge their LD charge, then Rogers for your end (so only if caller was Rogers would it be double)

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

your assigned a local calling area, ie toronto,  if you go to hamilton then you left your local calling area, and receive a call, you get charged, its actually billing you for IRM, incoming roaming minutes, which is technically the name its billed as but its the same rate as an LD call,  does that make sense? you were not in your "home" area and answered a call,   of course you got charged, this is how cellular local calling areas were built.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
weather the caller gets charged or not is not important, your the recipiant, not the caller, only his provider can charge him for LD, your provider only charges you cus you answered outside your "home" area. if this upsets you, look at plans that include canada wide or inter province as the home area

jhycha
I've Been Here Awhile
I thinking about Koodo Mobile. They only have one calling area. Its called Canada. You Never have to worry about being charged for long distance incoming or outgoing. You never have to worry about the local calling area cus the its Canada.
Rogers charges me incoming long distances when I am out of my area and my local area keeps getting smaller. With Koodo no problem. One giant calling. Brilliant idea. Goodbye Rogers, Hello Koodo.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

You picked that plan, if you never liked the idea of local calling areas why didnt you choose a canada wide calling plan on rogers? now i guess  your going to go to a competitor and blame rogers, but rogers is not solely to blame, you had the choice to choose a canada wide plan, im not defending rogers in any way, just saying, if rogers didnt offer canada wide plans then id support you fully, but they do have plans that soot your needs, why not choose a plan that u need instead of choosing the wrong plan and complain about it? we all make mistakes right? so you have the right to choose a good plan, and we are here to help u.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
There are Canada wide options with Rogers.

Koodo and others often offer it by default, yes.

But make sure if you consider to change, that koodo and alot of the other smaller carriers have much smaller coverage areas. Make sure you are in a decent coverage are for them before switching.

If not you could end up with a roaming bill more than any LD fees you had 😞 (saw a wind horror story about that recently, person was on the border of coverage area. $30/month plan..... $46 / month roaming 😞 )

jhycha
I've Been Here Awhile

I looked at the Rogers coverage map and Koodos, can not tell the difference. They must use the same cell towers. I found a cheap canada wide unlimited plan from rogers but they would not give it to me because my phone is not on their special list. I have a brand new Samsung Note 2 Its the smartest of the smart phone. Thats why I like Koodo.

I have a friend from Missouri who calls me every now and then. When he alls me am i going to be charged long distance for picking up the call? Or wll he be charged because he dialed the number? Also I am on vacation , im from Toronto but im in NS , because of tat will I be charged because im out of my local caling area? Im still in Canada though. I dont call him he calls me. So with that being said because i not in Toronto and I picked up a call from The United States am i being charge? This was not a collect call. Please help me asap:)

He will get LD charges, no matter what (unless he has a calling plan which covers it).

While you are in NS, and get an incomming call from him, you will be charged since you are out of your area. 

Rule of thumb.. while traveling.. keep cell usage PERIOD to a min to avoid extra charges 🙂
(I went on vacation to PEI for 2.5 weeks leaving from toronto area.  Turned off cellular roaming, so i would ONLY use rogers towers and not bell while out there.  Tried not to use the PHONE portion at all, but had international texting, so just texted while out there.  Didnt have a SINGLE extra charge on the bill after the two weeks 🙂

diveman1980

To my understanding on mobile phone plans you shouldn't be charged for roaming within your own province. it's when you go outside the province you get charged.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello diveman1980

You are correct. Roaming is if you leave your own country or city.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

it also depends on the OP's calling plan, if incoming calls are restricted to a local calling area (LCA) or does it have no zones?

If your calling plan is one of the basic ones, then when you leave your calling area (toronto) and go to Nova Scotia, and receive calls there, you are out of your local calling area, thus you will see on your rogers bill the calls will be listed as IRM, incoming Roaming Charge, billed the same rate as long distance, however coded differently,  but it also depends if you have a LD option that should cover this, you also should know that receiving calls comes out of your bucket of minutes too, so you use local minutes, and if you have a ld plan it might come out of that, so my best bet is to check what options your plan includes. 

not all plans have incoming inter-province calling, older plans do not, maybe some newer ones do, but do not assume everyone has this, it depends on the plan they signed up for.

niknar0114
I've Been Around

Hey 

So Im wondering, if I accepted a collect call from Linsey Ontario how much will it cost me?

I am with Rogers so will I be charged by the minute?

I am in Toronto.

Thanks

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello niknar0114

If you accept it, you don't pay Long distance charges as you didn't make the call. It will use your minutes if you have let's say 500 minutes day time.

Micolas

Hello Niknar0114

Most cell phone service providers do not permit cell phones to receive or make collect calls. The dialer will be advised that the number cannot be completed as dialed and asked to confirm the number.... (basic error message).

This is done to prevent issues such as collect calls from someone who is roaming as well as using your local minutes as well as being charged the collect call or an issue of bypassing the collect call charged by using local minutes.

Edit: (additional information)

On a side note, long distance and local minutes are two separate entities. If an individual has 100 long distance minutes and 1000 local minutes and then proceeds to make a long distance call, it will consume both local and long distance at the same time. This means that a 5 minutes long distance call would leave 95 long distance minutes and 995 local minutes remaining.

So if you have no local minutes or long distance remaining, you would be billed for both simultainiously. At the current rate of $0.45 per minute each, that would be 0.45+0.45=$0.90 per minute of long distance calling.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello micolas

The User was asking if they pick up a phone call that is long distance if they would get charged not the other way around. Hmm I am able to make collect calls on my Rogers device and Rogers line..

If you have minutes yes it will take away from your minutes BUT won't charge you long distance IF you receive a call. If you make a long distance call then yes you will be charged long distance if u have no LD plan 

Your post is not what the OP is asking for unfortunately :(.  It's great help tho!.

Micolas

Hello Meowmix

You're right, I saw a question about collect calls and got side tracked.

Long distance has some rules that can be a bit confusing, so I think I'll have to break it down into two sections of "Outgoing calls" and "Incoming calls" as well as some basic information.

To know some of the rules, I'll have to explain how a local calling area works and what defines your local calling area. When you are assigned a telephone number, they seach a database of registered numbers based on where you state that you are using your services. The first 6 digits define your local calling area as well as where your number is registered to. As an example, numbers 1-6 in the following are what define your calling area 123-456-**** . Bear in mind, Home phone and cellular local calling areas can be different.

Incoming call rules regarding long distance:

-Any incoming calls while within your local area (defined by your telephone number) are considered local

-Any incoming calls while outside your local calling area (defined by your telephone number) are charged as long distance unless you have a long distance option on your plan.

-Where the incoming call is coming from, does not matter and only affects how they are charged and not yourself.

Outgoing call rules regarding long distance:

-Any outgoing call to any numbers of the local calling area that you are currently in are considered local (regardless of your local calling area)

-Any outgoing call to any numbers outside of the local calling area that you are currently in are considered long distance (even if it's back to the local calling area that you are registered to unless you are within it).

-Where the number that you are currently calling is located does not matter, but only where it is registered to. Example: If they are registered to your local calling area but they are traveling outside of the country, still only counts as a local call for you.

As a quick way to remember is that incoming is your registered local area, outgoing is current local area.

Hope this helps. 🙂

Edit: sentence structure.

jays77
I'm a Trusted Contributor
Wow, what a complicated system. It is no wonder there are so many billing complaints with cell phones.

My question is, how is your local calling area determined? With land lines it is by area code.

It was mentioned that with a cell phone it is by the ph. number, but what part of the number since the digit prefix can vary from person to person in the same household. If it is by city that would be extremely unfair to someone who lives in small city, say Trenton, as opposed to someone who lives in large metropolitan area likeToronto.
Topic Stats