Important notice about the Rogers Anyplace TV Home Edition app = Feature going away

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Important notice about the Rogers Anyplace TV Home Edition app = Feature going away

Do you have email address for her?

I'm Here A Lot

Re: Important notice about the Rogers Anyplace TV Home Edition app = Feature going away

As a visually impaired customer, the manage PVR feature has not just been useful; it's the only way I can manage my PVR at all. I don't have the luxury of using my TV remote to schedule recordings using the . interface because said interface doesn't speak or have any accessibility features. My phone on the other hand does have these features. So with the app going away, I pay the same as everybody else, but I essentially don't have a PVR anymore. Good going, Rogers.

I Plan to Stick Around

@PatrickJB wrote:

As a visually impaired customer, the manage PVR feature has not just been useful; it's the only way I can manage my PVR at all. I don't have the luxury of using my TV remote to schedule recordings using the . interface because said interface doesn't speak or have any accessibility features. My phone on the other hand does have these features. So with the app going away, I pay the same as everybody else, but I essentially don't have a PVR anymore. Good going, Rogers.

Perhaps you should contact them and point out the accessibility issues.

I'm Here A Lot

@JKnott wrote:

@PatrickJB wrote:

Perhaps you should contact them and point out the accessibility issues.

I have... I got the exact response I was expecting: "We'll pass on your feedback." Have no idea who I could contact who would actually be able to offer any solution. It's rare enough they actually know what I'm talking about.

I Plan to Stick Around

It will be very interesting to see their response; it may give a clue as to how far they have thought this through.

I was struck by the fact the email emerged just 2 weeks before the cut off - hardly indicative of planing ahead.  It made me wonder if some 'external factor' has suddenly popped up.   (I'm using circumlocution to avoid being censored again).

I'm a Senior Advisor

I had to look up the definition of that word - I use that often too.

I read between the lines, I "understand", what you are saying and feeling!

Bruce

I'm a Senior Advisor

Contact CBC Go Public.

http://www.cbc.ca/news2/interactives/forms/go-public/

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I'm a Senior Advisor

Well you have two routes - I am not sure who you spoke with - if a front line level, you can do the concern report on the website, others have done that and got the responses as described above.  You can then escalate to either the office of the president or the Ombudsman.  After that, you can escalate to CCTC - that is the escalation process you will find on your bill.

But given the reality that Rogers had developed a tool that although it was not directly designed to accommodate your stated disability, it is spoken to under their disability team page as you described that smart phones and tablet apps and your computer can do dictation of text and controls for those who have visual issues - it is their stated solution for those with visual disabilities when using computers, and by chance, it also proved itself to serve the same function for their tv PVR and remote functioning as it included a remote control too on the app.

So, you have another option that can be considered and that is to say that you are not willing to take an "oh well" response to this removal of functionality that accommodated your disability and take a complaint under OADA requirements for customer service companies - not sure that this one is yet in full enforcement until 2021, but maybe by taking the tact of raising with Rogers and filing a complaint, maybe they will increase the priority on it.  That is what it took when people were demanding a consistent and full access to closed applications across all components of the PVR and guide when first implemented.  The font issue was dealt with first and the consistency in the next major upgrade.

Here is the FAQ related to web sites and mobile access to Internet, may or may not apply to this situation, but the functionality was there, and has now been removed with no committment as to when or if it will be returned.

Do we have to make our website accessible?

As of January 1, 2014 all organizations with 50 or more employees that create new internet websites and web content on those sites must conform with WCAG 2.0 Level A. A “new” website means:

• a site with a new domain name (i.e. a brand new website address, and not a new page or link on the existing site); or
  • a site with an existing domain name undergoing a significant refresh. Significant refresh may include, but is not limited to, a new look and feel, changes to navigability, or the majority of content is being updated or changed.

By January 1, 2021, all internet websites and web content must conform with WCAG 2.0 Level AA, other than success criteria 1.2.4 Captions (Live) and success criteria 1.2.5 Audio Descriptions (Pre-recorded).  

Contact us if you would like a free quote for a website accessibility audit.

Do mobile apps need to be made accessible and meet AODA requirements?

Mobile applications (smart phone applications/mobile apps) that are internet-based would have requirements under the standard. Mobile applications that are not internet-based would not have requirements. Organizations will need to assess their mobile application to determine whether it is internet-based or not.

What does “significantly refreshed” mean?

This means you are keeping the same web address, but you are making changes such as:

• a new look and feel to the website
  • how users navigate around it
  • a major update and change to the content of the website

It can't hurt to file the concern, it at least highlights an important area of TV delivery and accessibility.  May or may not be coming in final move to the new products, but at this point, they have made a service innaccessable, where it has been for many years.

Who can I contact if I want to report an AODA violation?

If you are a person with a disability and would like to report a violation of the AODA to the Ontario Government, please call:  1-866-515-2025 or by TTY:  1-800-268-7095.

Personally, I would file it and also escalate - that is how people did it with Navigatr.  Can't hurt and also helps define what AODA will fully cover and expect from companies.

Also specific to their response, demand to know who they passed it on to and who is accountable for deciding a full response.  If you don't get a clear answer, definitely, I would push that through escalation very quickly.

I will acknowledge that Rogers may be backed into a corner on this one with the circumstances, but we have laws that do exist in Ontario on this issue, not sure what the laws in other provinces are that this will impact, nor am I sure how ADA in the US would apply, but we live in Ontario (I am making that presumption, if not, check with your provincial standards).

I personally haven't got into escalating of filing a complaint with my situation at this moment.  I kind of burned myself out on the privacy issues of last month, so I am doing my best to suggest how others can approach this issue, when clearly the responses to date do not recognize the impact on accessability that this has created for many.

If I was in your shoes, I would both escalate, complain and probably go to another service model as you have to deal with the reality of your disability and the decision from Rogers and responses give you little choice if you want to continue to enjoy television services. But I personally am running out of steam to fight them anymore due to my own health issues.

Bruce

I'm a Senior Contributor

@CFC

Thanks for the info regarding Bell. When our 2-year discount expires in the fall, Bell may very well have new customers. 

I'm a Senior Contributor

@OLDYELLR wrote:

Well, I went to Rogers Share a Concern and laid out my feelings on the discontinuing of this feature and the web app for managing your PVR, bringing up Comcast/Tivo patent dispute and suggesting Rogers bite the bullet and pay Tivo royalties in order to keep customers from leaving. I  received a prompt reply today from a Manager, starting out,

I understand your concern 
regarding Rogers Anyplace TV Home Edition. I absolutely would like to 
assist you further with your concern. 

>From time to time, we do need to make changes to our products and 
services to refocus our efforts on creating more value for our customers
in other areas. We do have an internal team that is working to improve 
the new Rogers Anyplace TV service.  We do wish to include additional 
features like adding PVR recording functionalities or adding channel 
search options to the service. 

Really? What a politician!

They are following the identical script over on Facebook to the myriad of complaints posted there. They are liked trained monkeys, or as you say a politician.