Important notice about the Rogers Anyplace TV Home Edition app = Feature going away

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Important notice about the Rogers Anyplace TV Home Edition app = Feature going away

@BS wrote:

Rogers calls streaming Anyplace TV - and that is all it is - with no PVR management - why - because they don't have licensing - obviously they did have it under the old system, but maybe they let that licensing lapse

The major bone of contention is the discontinuation of remote PVR management. I don't care about streaming on a 3" phone, 5" tablet or 15" laptop when I have a 55" TV.  I can't believe that the majority of Rogers cable customers now prefer watching TV on their phones. Am I a dinosaur?

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Important notice about the Rogers Anyplace TV Home Edition app = Feature going away

@froma wrote:
So i'm GUESSING that on May 31st, that app will be killed in favour of this one which is good as i firmly believe there is no need for 8 different apps if you can share all the functionality within one.

Then why didn't they announce that, instead of the "tough luck" message we got.

I'm a Senior Advisor

@froma wrote:
From what I see on the Rogers Anyplace TV App, theres a "Recordings" menu section that when you click on it says..

"Coming Soon: Soon youll be able to manage your recordings from your desktop and mobile devices, but for now, you can still use the Rogers Anyplace TV Home edition app to record your favourites."

So i'm GUESSING that on May 31st, that app will be killed in favour of this one which is good as i firmly believe there is no need for 8 different apps if you can share all the functionality within one.

That would be my guess, although presently it's still the same Coming Soon message.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@froma wrote:

Many of us would hope that your guess is correct, however, if that were the case, they would have put that in the e-mail rather than asking you to "use your remote control".

The IPG/Search, etc in the AnyplaceTV app/web is also inferior to the one in Home Edition, as far as getting to the correct listings for programming your PVR. AnyplaceTV seems directed more towards streaming.  

It would certainly be nice if "manage PVR" did become active in AnyplaceTV, however, we've seen "coming soon" since the AnyplaceTV app came out last year.

I've Been Here Awhile

Maybe we are, but we're the ones paying Rogers for Cable TV not Cable device.  

I Plan to Stick Around

They are probably waiting to get the full reaction from subscribers before they see what they can get away with. If enough people are angry, they can say, "It was never our intention to take this invaluable function away from you. It was only temporary while we make improvements".  

Forums like this can be very powerful. Cruise lines frequently reverse dumb decisions because of backlash on Cruise Critic and other forums. 

Other than Bell, what other cable options do we have in Ontario?  I will give Rogers until May 31 before I make a decision.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@jmcs wrote:

Other than Bell, what other cable options do we have in Ontario?  I will give Rogers until May 31 before I make a decision.

None.  I know of no areas that have two cable providers. It's simply not economically viable.  You possibly have satellite as a choice, but each provider has its own set of issues, and as stated before, if you're thinking of switching, do a lot of research and don't take anything for granted or the word of any CSR on its own.

I Plan to Stick Around

@57 wrote:

@jmcs wrote:

None.  I know of no areas that have two cable providers. It's simply not economically viable.  You possibly have satellite as a choice, but each provider has its own set of issues, and as stated before, if you're thinking of switching, do a lot of research and don't take anything for granted or the word of any CSR on its own.

The ability to use my iPhone to record and monitor my programming is a feature that it important to me. I preferred this method even when the remote was directly beside me. Yes, I lived without it for 40 years, but once I had it, I appreciated it's value and don't want to give it up. If Rogers no longer offers it but Bell does, the decision is very easy for me. 

I wonder how much this cut is saving Rogers? How can they dare talk about improvements when they take away something of value to me (not for the first time) and replace it with rubbish?

I Plan to Stick Around

While I'd be fairly sure that cost saving is one of (but not the only) "root cause" factors here, I think it's probably a bit more complicated than that.  Look at BS's posts here for the full saga.  "It's complicated".  But you are right to the extent that, possibly, they could have spent a little for the necessary licences to continue the existing tools until the new Jerusalem arrives, presumably in a blaze of fire it being called Ignite I believe. Smiley Happy

Equally troubling is the general lack of openness as to what's going on and why and what we can expect.  Yesterday's inane email is but the latest example.   Hard to tell if they are secretive or just have no credible plan.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@jmcs wrote:

If Rogers no longer offers it but Bell does, the decision is very easy for me.  

I agree. Manage PVR is very important to me too, however, before switching to say Bell Fibe, be aware that:

- They may not have certain channels.

- Bell convert all HD channels to 720P (instead of the original format of 1080i or 720p to the STB) which may result in lower Picture Quality.  The bitrate is also significantly lower, although the compression is done differently to compensate.

- They don't have FTTH in some/many areas, so internet speeds may suffer if you only have FTTN in your neighbourhood, although theoretically you could use Bell Fibe for TV and Rogers for Internet, but you would give up bundle discounts, leverage when negotiating, etc.