Important notice about the Rogers Anyplace TV Home Edition app = Feature going away

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Around

Re: Important notice about the Rogers Anyplace TV Home Edition app = Feature going away

I HATE that you took this app away. There were a lot of times i needed to set my PVR when i was away from home. I may be looking else where  for my services since Rogers just keeps taking things away but prices dont go down.

I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Important notice about the Rogers Anyplace TV Home Edition app = Feature going away

I will be gone from Rogers at the end of next month for that reason. Their internet is also terrible as is their customer support

I Plan to Stick Around

@iainburns wrote:

I will be gone from Rogers at the end of next month for that reason. Their internet is also terrible as is their customer support

Take it from one who provides support for business.  Rogers is much better than Bell, both in service and support.  I have frequently had to work with both.  Other than the PVR issues, my Rogers services are solid.  Also, Rogers support is in Canada, unlike Bell where you wind up calling India.  Also, Rogers has had IPv6 for over 2 years, but Bell doesn't yet.  In fact, a few months ago, I was working in Bell's "Wireless Technology Innovation Centre", in Mississauga.  One person I was talking to there hadn't even heard of IPv6.  Some Innovation Centre.

I've Been Here Awhile

Great job Rogers on removing a USEFUL option (being able to record shows on your PVR directly from your cellphone).  Now they've gone backwards and you can only record shows on your PVR from the tv only.  Doesn't make sense why you would first give the option to record from your cellphone and then take that away.  Terrible decision.  Now you've just lost another customer.  I will be cancelling all my services with Rogers (cable and internet) once my contract ends.  You've just lost a very loyal customer (been with you guys for almost 15 years).  I'll be switching to Bell because they don't "take away" features that customers liked and go backwards in technology.  Very disappointed Rogers!!  I called in and the reps didn't show any sympathy.  Their reason for taking away this feature is because lots of customers don't use it???   Really Rogers??  Well if you don't care about your customers, we don't care to stay.  Me and my boyfriend will be cancelling all of services with Rogers because of this (that's about $250/month that you'll be losing in revenue).  Hopefully you guys start treating your customers better if you want to retain them.  SMH.  Very disappointed.  Apparently I'm suppose to get a call-back about this complaint I have- but I doubt they'll call me (not surprised)...

I Plan to Stick Around

They also removed the Apps from the security tablets Weather , News, you also could surf the net from tablet .Also temoved. Yes as usual no reduction in price plan. This is long line of treating existing customers like they have no choice. Also cancelling services good riddance was a good run over 18 year old account!
I've Been Here Awhile

I'm new to Rogers (was looking for a faster internet speed) and have now been with the company for just less than a week. If I'm honest it's not been a smooth introduction as a new customer, I seem to be moving from one issue to another. Ironically the one I have just fixed was Anyplace TV. I couldn't get access to it, so spent 25 minutes waiting for someone to answer my Chat question and when they did to their credit they fixed my access to the app. The reason I needed the app was because I tried to record the Alone series on History from the PVR and it's terrible, I mean this is the worst PVR I have ever used and it's obvious that the developers of the software have never had to run through the menu to try and record anything. Getting access to the Anyplace TV was going to be my workaround and now that's not possible. Something has to done to make recording programs easier, if this isn't done "cutting the cord" would be the best and only option.  

I'm a Senior Advisor

Hello @McP1

I am just another member/Rogers customer like you and don't speak for Rogers by the way.

It is unfortunate that you are having issues.  Definitely, getting higher speed makes sense to have made a move, but to then run into Rogers TV limitations and issues, if you read through various posts, there are no shortage of concerns on both the old and new models - digital or Ignite.

At least with Ignite, they are working toward stabalizing a new product, we are supposed to see some changes to Navigatr, but the particular issue you speak of related to managing your recordings from Anyplace TV, or as they told us, "at least you can do it from your remote".  Never have figured out if that was a poor attempt at humour, but it did not go over well.

Rogers, Shaw, XFinity in the States, and other companies using the Comcast X1 model that Rogers has chosen were forced to remove the manage your recording features due to a international trade ruling by TIVO/RIKO that Comcast was infringing their rights on a number of things.

A single app for all companies was left in place for legacy products (navigatr), but that has since been removed.

Comcast is holding firm that they will not accept the licensing demands and they claim that it is a unique development of their own, but at this point, the court did not agree, removing the functionality to all Comcast implications.

So the other guys have it and most other companies because they have either purchased similiar rights from other companies, but in general, most companies in the world have agreed to the TIVO position.  For interest - cost per device settop device for the feature is .25-.50 cents in that range. It is all built in there, already functions, just turned off until the court cases finalize, which Comcast has 3 other ones coming at them that may impact Rogers services under X1 depending upon the results of those cases.

If you are only 1 week in, you are able to have buyer's remorse and cancel, go back where you were, maybe they will negotiate, or cut the cord.  That is our future plan.

I look forward to hearing what you decide, but this particular issue is not really a Rogers issue, they got caught in the middle again - navigatr was Cisco sold out to Technicolour, Espial was not able to deliver a quality transitional model on legacy equipment to move to IPTV, IPTV internal devlopmeent failed, and for quite number of years now, Rogers has been floundering - they are now in the market of buying licenses, products from suppliers, not in house development and it places price and optionality issues that roll from the suppliers and any related issues they have - you inherit their problems.

In the next few days while still under the remorse period, I would contact them with your concerns and see what they have to say and what they may consider

Good luck

Bruce

I've Been Here Awhile

Pvr recording= Feature going away: switch to bell

This feature and service is extremely important to customers. Right now not only does Bell TV allow you to record from a distance but you can also watch your PVR programs from anywhere. That’s something Rogers never offered. I’m going to look into cancelling my TV with Rogers and go to Bell. I’ve been with Rogers 30 years but this is a sign that they are going backwards.

I'm a Senior Advisor

I'm as upset an you are over Rogers scrapping PVR Management over the Internet. But as has been explained, there were patent infringements using the technology. Given that Rogers is introducing Ignite TV with cloud "PVR Management" don't hold your breath hoping they will bring it back. In a 2 or 3 years our PVRs will likely become obsolete.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I Plan to Stick Around

It's a real dilemma.  The lack of remote control of the PVR is almost a deal breaker for me.   One the fall season on regular TV starts it will be a huge issue; my guess is that it will result in watching less "broadcast TV" due to missing programs etc and then just losing interest in particular series.

I am thinking of switching to Bell, but I hear so many horror stories about their customer service, including staff attitude, and their sales practices that Im really reluctant to do that.  Im a long time Rogers customer that is overall reasonably happy with them.  And the CSRs at Rogers that I have dealt with are mostly very helpful and do what they can within their various system limits.  

I did try to get some answers from Rogers President about the strategy here (thats is, if there is one) but got fobbed off with a couple of low level flunkies in "the office of the president" (which I'm guessing the President has probably never actually set foot in lol) who were unable to answer any of my questions.   I'm really glad I'm not a shareholder!!   We just have to grin and bear it.