cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Important notice about the Rogers Anyplace TV Home Edition app = Feature going away

RedBerry11
I Plan to Stick Around

So reducing services and replacing them with Rogers Anyplace app that does not work is another " well played" move by a company with a shrinking customer base.
Letting the main competition out shine Rogers with Apps that actually work seems to not be a problem for Rogers.
Now the Anyplace App does not work if you read remarks on Google play it freezes the audio turns off and the App tries to tell you that your out of country.
These issues are not new taking an App like Home Edition away and taking away the ability to remotely control the PVR is a step backwards. Of course the reduction in service will not be reflected in cost reduction. Rogers also is eliminating the Apps on the Rogers Home Monitoring system. Basicly reducing services gives customers no choice but to look for alternate providers.
So as far the Anyplace App still not working on Android could a moderator please have the unstable app remarks addressed on Google play. So far you get referred to Twiiter who ask you ridiculous questions as if your just imagining the app does not work. It does not work and it is a shame that Rogers insist on making Rogers customers Beta test and trouble shoot known issues full well knowing the problems lie in the App.

***Edited Labels***

155 REPLIES 155

Re: Important notice about the Rogers Anyplace TV Home Edition app = Feature going away

Intimidator
I Plan to Stick Around

Wow.  Rogers continues to frustrate the heck out of me.  I am really fed up with what they have done to my TV watching experience.  It takes so long to get anywhere with the guides, OnDemand is so slow to get to what you actually want to see and removing the ability to fast forward through commercials… okay I get why you need the revenue from forcing us to watch the same 4 commercials repeatedly, but to screw it up so badly that you can't even rewind an on demand show without getting stuck in commercials because it won't rewind through them and you lose your place in the show altogether - WOW do I hate it!   Now Rogers has also taken away the ability to control my PVR using the app?  It's the WorldCup semi final today and I realized after I had left home that I forgot to setup my PVR(s) to record it.  As an aside, that process has also become so time consuming by the time I wait for everything to boot up and get to the guide, etc...  After all this, I thought at least I could set it up remotely using my phone and enjoy it when I get home.   But, I can't.  Rogers... you are so far from awesome...

Re: Important notice about the Rogers Anyplace TV Home Edition app = Feature going away

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

If you read this thread from the beginning you'll see that Rogers discontinued the app and web function to manage your PVR because of copyright issues. It appears that Rogers has not moved forward on replacing it because they're devoting all resources to the new Ignite platform and don't much care about legacy cable customers.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

That basically sums up the issue - as I mentioned when you stop having the ability to be the leaders in development and also being able to choose licensing structures and dependent upon broadcast agreements, you are are now dependent totally on the suppliers of services and technology.  

It is not that they can't build concurrent models side by side, as the licensing could be purchased and place on, but there are probably resstrictions in contracts with Comcast on that one as seen by impact on all companies using the technology.

There appears to be no reason for why they stopped at least the home app for management, other than they would have to be supporting two seperate systems, with the clear intent that they want off the old one int he long run.

Kind of like Bell still has Satelitte as an alternative to IPTV for those who want to go that route.

I was in a subdivision in Collingwood, a close net community of about 100 hours that has both Rogers and Bell Fibre - Bell came through with discounts and got close to 60% of home owners, but they are all thinking of at the end of terms, if deals are not repeated, they will flip to Rogers - so we see the whole silly new discount game in play in a community where they all talk to each other. -- About 20 % are on 
Satelitte with high the gig Internet, there are some on IPTV and on Rogers internet, a whole mix of choices.

I see a model in that community that the people are pooling together to push the companies to provide the mix of services and choices of individual services, not bundles to meet their desired needs.

So in a sense, Rogers is now just another tv, phone security and internet provider with little difference, and same for wireless - if you can get communication betweej consumers they choose based upopn pricing, the service they wish to have and some choice on features, but my brother in a law said features had little to do with choices -  price, quality, and service customer support decides and as one customer has problems, everyone hears and it influences their year to year decisoins.

I don't see them as a leader at ll, just another service when you put them face to face against each other where fulll technology choice is availalbe -.

We are driven by technology choices and marketing and profit lines and things like pass overs in a neighbourhood, all statistical factors that drive decisions of what to do and what to let go and unfortunately, the feature of managem My PVR and strange mixes without any clarity on what we can and can't see anywhere.

It is not anyplace TV - it is actually - Home TV - those channels we receive on Moca in our own home over WIFI netoworks via anyplace TV app, and Away TV (there is nothing anyplace about this service at all - it is two different services - and no reason they couldn't make a clear distinction of which one we are - the app has to know - why not a trigger to say you are on away tv and your channel choices are limited due to broadcasting rules and licensing and will not include all you can see at home.

But that would be fully honest and clear to the customer and if we could compare the different companies on these home versus away services, that would be a choice we may take into play.

Certainly some people have said they are jumping on manage PVR which not even the new model will have at this point, so on that feature - Bell wins.

Instead, we get general coments on services availabvle, andnote not ;much cmparison of differences on servides right now - although Bell does.

This is the new world of TV right now and it is in transition largely because of licensing, profit margins, more choice for customers, and also it is getting too expensive for some.

I was away this weekend, and I learned quickly that those stations not included, you get at block orange note saying not available - fortunately, it was broadcast on a canadian channel late night show, so we could wathc it, and I really did want to check by PVR settings, a new show came up I wanted to record, now I will have to wait for On Demand - an HBO show.

That is the reason why it is not used much - we use it when we need it and it is critical to us since they gave it to us and markedted as an important feature that Rogers can offer  - now one less feature, and it starts to just become TV, so I now start to begin to think, so is Over the Top, Tivo with antenna and PVR and the full guides and manage PVR away from home.

So unless Rogers wants to keep supporting the legacy model (not likely in long run or clearly on this PVR issue, they are not going to support the legacy app), or change up the contract with Comcast and allow for Rogers to build in and pay for licensing with TIVO, the story has been written for now.

Bruce

Re: Important notice about the Rogers Anyplace TV Home Edition

Greggasmth56
I've Been Around

That is it.  Rogers and Bell have the highest cell phone and tv charges in the industrialized world and their profits are through the roof yet they constantly take features away, provide features that are worse than useless and gvevrewards to new cstomers while grabbing more and more cash.  When internet, cable and cell become higher than your mortgage, it is time to stand up.  Why are we so whimpy?  Like unions, if we all worked together we could bring Bell and Rogers to their knees and force them to negotiate better service.  Yet without a significantportion of their customer base, say 10%, they would just ride out the storm but take away 10% of their business or more and they would take notice.  Someone who is good on twitter, texting and online communication should try to get the ball rolling.  I would be in like Flynn.

wendymuir
I've Been Around

I HATE that you took this app away. There were a lot of times i needed to set my PVR when i was away from home. I may be looking else where  for my services since Rogers just keeps taking things away but prices dont go down.

iainburns
I've Been Here Awhile

I will be gone from Rogers at the end of next month for that reason. Their internet is also terrible as is their customer support

JKnott
I'm a Reliable Contributor

@iainburns wrote:

I will be gone from Rogers at the end of next month for that reason. Their internet is also terrible as is their customer support

Take it from one who provides support for business.  Rogers is much better than Bell, both in service and support.  I have frequently had to work with both.  Other than the PVR issues, my Rogers services are solid.  Also, Rogers support is in Canada, unlike Bell where you wind up calling India.  Also, Rogers has had IPv6 for over 2 years, but Bell doesn't yet.  In fact, a few months ago, I was working in Bell's "Wireless Technology Innovation Centre", in Mississauga.  One person I was talking to there hadn't even heard of IPv6.  Some Innovation Centre.

nbaij
I've Been Here Awhile

Great job Rogers on removing a USEFUL option (being able to record shows on your PVR directly from your cellphone).  Now they've gone backwards and you can only record shows on your PVR from the tv only.  Doesn't make sense why you would first give the option to record from your cellphone and then take that away.  Terrible decision.  Now you've just lost another customer.  I will be cancelling all my services with Rogers (cable and internet) once my contract ends.  You've just lost a very loyal customer (been with you guys for almost 15 years).  I'll be switching to Bell because they don't "take away" features that customers liked and go backwards in technology.  Very disappointed Rogers!!  I called in and the reps didn't show any sympathy.  Their reason for taking away this feature is because lots of customers don't use it???   Really Rogers??  Well if you don't care about your customers, we don't care to stay.  Me and my boyfriend will be cancelling all of services with Rogers because of this (that's about $250/month that you'll be losing in revenue).  Hopefully you guys start treating your customers better if you want to retain them.  SMH.  Very disappointed.  Apparently I'm suppose to get a call-back about this complaint I have- but I doubt they'll call me (not surprised)...

RedBerry11
I Plan to Stick Around
They also removed the Apps from the security tablets Weather , News, you also could surf the net from tablet .Also temoved. Yes as usual no reduction in price plan. This is long line of treating existing customers like they have no choice. Also cancelling services good riddance was a good run over 18 year old account!

McP1
I've Been Here Awhile

I'm new to Rogers (was looking for a faster internet speed) and have now been with the company for just less than a week. If I'm honest it's not been a smooth introduction as a new customer, I seem to be moving from one issue to another. Ironically the one I have just fixed was Anyplace TV. I couldn't get access to it, so spent 25 minutes waiting for someone to answer my Chat question and when they did to their credit they fixed my access to the app. The reason I needed the app was because I tried to record the Alone series on History from the PVR and it's terrible, I mean this is the worst PVR I have ever used and it's obvious that the developers of the software have never had to run through the menu to try and record anything. Getting access to the Anyplace TV was going to be my workaround and now that's not possible. Something has to done to make recording programs easier, if this isn't done "cutting the cord" would be the best and only option.  

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

Hello @McP1

I am just another member/Rogers customer like you and don't speak for Rogers by the way.

It is unfortunate that you are having issues.  Definitely, getting higher speed makes sense to have made a move, but to then run into Rogers TV limitations and issues, if you read through various posts, there are no shortage of concerns on both the old and new models - digital or Ignite.

At least with Ignite, they are working toward stabalizing a new product, we are supposed to see some changes to Navigatr, but the particular issue you speak of related to managing your recordings from Anyplace TV, or as they told us, "at least you can do it from your remote".  Never have figured out if that was a poor attempt at humour, but it did not go over well.

Rogers, Shaw, XFinity in the States, and other companies using the Comcast X1 model that Rogers has chosen were forced to remove the manage your recording features due to a international trade ruling by TIVO/RIKO that Comcast was infringing their rights on a number of things.

A single app for all companies was left in place for legacy products (navigatr), but that has since been removed.

Comcast is holding firm that they will not accept the licensing demands and they claim that it is a unique development of their own, but at this point, the court did not agree, removing the functionality to all Comcast implications.

So the other guys have it and most other companies because they have either purchased similiar rights from other companies, but in general, most companies in the world have agreed to the TIVO position.  For interest - cost per device settop device for the feature is .25-.50 cents in that range. It is all built in there, already functions, just turned off until the court cases finalize, which Comcast has 3 other ones coming at them that may impact Rogers services under X1 depending upon the results of those cases.

If you are only 1 week in, you are able to have buyer's remorse and cancel, go back where you were, maybe they will negotiate, or cut the cord.  That is our future plan.

I look forward to hearing what you decide, but this particular issue is not really a Rogers issue, they got caught in the middle again - navigatr was Cisco sold out to Technicolour, Espial was not able to deliver a quality transitional model on legacy equipment to move to IPTV, IPTV internal devlopmeent failed, and for quite number of years now, Rogers has been floundering - they are now in the market of buying licenses, products from suppliers, not in house development and it places price and optionality issues that roll from the suppliers and any related issues they have - you inherit their problems.

In the next few days while still under the remorse period, I would contact them with your concerns and see what they have to say and what they may consider

Good luck

Bruce

CFC
I've Been Here Awhile

Pvr recording= Feature going away: switch to bell

This feature and service is extremely important to customers. Right now not only does Bell TV allow you to record from a distance but you can also watch your PVR programs from anywhere. That’s something Rogers never offered. I’m going to look into cancelling my TV with Rogers and go to Bell. I’ve been with Rogers 30 years but this is a sign that they are going backwards.

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

I'm as upset an you are over Rogers scrapping PVR Management over the Internet. But as has been explained, there were patent infringements using the technology. Given that Rogers is introducing Ignite TV with cloud "PVR Management" don't hold your breath hoping they will bring it back. In a 2 or 3 years our PVRs will likely become obsolete.

RichardF
I Plan to Stick Around

It's a real dilemma.  The lack of remote control of the PVR is almost a deal breaker for me.   One the fall season on regular TV starts it will be a huge issue; my guess is that it will result in watching less "broadcast TV" due to missing programs etc and then just losing interest in particular series.

I am thinking of switching to Bell, but I hear so many horror stories about their customer service, including staff attitude, and their sales practices that Im really reluctant to do that.  Im a long time Rogers customer that is overall reasonably happy with them.  And the CSRs at Rogers that I have dealt with are mostly very helpful and do what they can within their various system limits.  

I did try to get some answers from Rogers President about the strategy here (thats is, if there is one) but got fobbed off with a couple of low level flunkies in "the office of the president" (which I'm guessing the President has probably never actually set foot in lol) who were unable to answer any of my questions.   I'm really glad I'm not a shareholder!!   We just have to grin and bear it.

RichardF
I Plan to Stick Around

If the future is "the cloud" then they have to do a much better job than at present in making complete series available.

All to often there are only a few episodes 'on demand'.   We watch a lot of series on a binge basis  over a few days.  Netflix does a better job of this.

And its really just not acceptable to say "wait 2 or 3 years" for Rogers cloud.

If I can control my lights from my phone, get access to my computers on my phone, why on earth is the PVR so complicated.  Its just a computer.  (Yes, I know the whole Comcast mess is being blamed, but Bell and others have solved this.   I guess they have better focus on how people use this stuff).

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

The future is here now with Ignite TV. But it's expensive. $150 installation fee and starting at around $250 a month, ifI recall. Way out of my league. When my grandfathered VIP package goes over $100 I'm seriously considering bailing from cable. There are a lot of cheaper options out there.

McP1
I've Been Here Awhile

Having just moved from Bell I can't see either company using customer support as a differentiator to attract customers, they are both similarly poor. In an age where the end customer is becoming more important to the success of any organization, it's concerning that Canadian companies (Air Canada is another example) don't either recognize this or choose to act on it. If these companies are to continue to grow on a bigger Worldwide stage they need to become a lot more in tune with the needs of their customers.  

RichardF
I Plan to Stick Around

Actually, they don't - as long as it's a closed or protected "marketplace". 

One hears pretty dire things about some of the US tech utilities. AT&T etc.   If regulation is not the barrier to entry then startup capital is.

hansm0leman
I Plan to Stick Around
I just changed from Bell Fibe back to Rogers after my 3 year bell discounts expires.

I’m away from home this weekend and just saw a commercial for a show that reminded me I need to scheduled that on my pvr.

Well, here I am an hour later (after making Google searches) realizing that I can’t do that with Rogers. I still have my Fibeapp and this task would have been a 30 second task. Now I’ll miss one episode by the time I’m home to use my remote to do this task! This is going to be a tough habit for me to break, as I have always programmed my bell pvr with my phone.

I can’t believe Rogers would remove this feature in 2018!

I might just call the phone number bell sent me to win me back! Rogers seems ancient in comparison.

jmcs
I Plan to Stick Around

It has been a few months now and I am still annoyed about this.

I now have to wait until I am near a television, go to the Search function, painfully search the letters of the title, then wait...….until I get a notice saying "Not communicating, try again later".  I try again the next day and the next day and it still doesn't work. We have had to go to the guide to program anything. 

I think Rogers is doing this deliberately to force people into paying much more for Ignite - which still doesn't have a phone app for programming PVR.  One rep actually told me it did, but the next one said "no". 

Ignite would do nothing for me. I just want back what I once had - the ability to program from my iPhone. 

chank
I Plan to Stick Around

Set pvr recordings remotely

Earlier on this year Rogers removed useful functionality (but never dropped their prices!) available via a web page or an app to set up recordings on your pvr. It was also a better UI for maintaining what was on the drive. Are we ever going to get that back? FWICT the Bell offering does support that functionality.