cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Important notice about the Rogers Anyplace TV Home Edition app = Feature going away

RedBerry11
I Plan to Stick Around

So reducing services and replacing them with Rogers Anyplace app that does not work is another " well played" move by a company with a shrinking customer base.
Letting the main competition out shine Rogers with Apps that actually work seems to not be a problem for Rogers.
Now the Anyplace App does not work if you read remarks on Google play it freezes the audio turns off and the App tries to tell you that your out of country.
These issues are not new taking an App like Home Edition away and taking away the ability to remotely control the PVR is a step backwards. Of course the reduction in service will not be reflected in cost reduction. Rogers also is eliminating the Apps on the Rogers Home Monitoring system. Basicly reducing services gives customers no choice but to look for alternate providers.
So as far the Anyplace App still not working on Android could a moderator please have the unstable app remarks addressed on Google play. So far you get referred to Twiiter who ask you ridiculous questions as if your just imagining the app does not work. It does not work and it is a shame that Rogers insist on making Rogers customers Beta test and trouble shoot known issues full well knowing the problems lie in the App.

***Edited Labels***

155 REPLIES 155

Re: Important notice about the Rogers Anyplace TV Home Edition app = Feature going away

RichardF
I Plan to Stick Around

As of today, app on iPad (iOS 10) is still working!  Don't know about download.  

Re: Important notice about the Rogers Anyplace TV Home Edition app = Feature going away

untouchable855
I Plan to Stick Around

as of this morning its shut down

they better get something new soon  im disabled and now have no way to use my PVR

derekg66
I Plan to Stick Around

Yep. Mine was working last night. Gone today.

Yup, on my Android phone and tablet I get the message. Accepting launches my browser to get the web app to see the guide and watch some live TV, but the Recordings tab is now gone with no promise of "Coming Soon".  I imagine with Rogers now concentrating on rolling out the new Ignite X1 IPTV service you should not hold your breath waiting for remote PVR management to be brought back.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

billrobson
I've Been Around
Wow! I come back from several weeks away, try to remotely set recording for a Jays game and no-go. This app is one that I fret about as there is no alternative if you're out of the house and now it's pulled, apparently arbitrarily, and with no feasible replacement option. That really stinks Rogers! I enjoy the quality of my services but this app is an integral part using those services with today's lifestyle. I agree with so many others - this is a deal breaker.

mistahskata
I've Been Around

I was watching the Spain vs Portugal world cup game at work, and decided to put it to record at home. My coworker has Bell fibe, and quickly did it on his app. I mentioned that Rogers had something similar. Went to show him and put the game to record only to see that they had switched the app and removed the ability to set shows to record from the app. So... that was embarrassing. And more importantly,  I will have to wait to for the highlights on TSN on Demand.  Have been with Rogers for over 10 years, despite all the issues, but this change just as the world cup is starting.......this may be it. so disappointed.

JKnott
I'm a Reliable Contributor

@mistahskata wrote:

I was watching the Spain vs Portugal world cup game at work, and decided to put it to record at home. My coworker has Bell fibe, and quickly did it on his app. I mentioned that Rogers had something similar. Went to show him and put the game to record only to see that they had switched the app and removed the ability to set shows to record from the app. So... that was embarrassing. And more importantly,  I will have to wait to for the highlights on TSN on Demand.  Have been with Rogers for over 10 years, despite all the issues, but this change just as the world cup is starting.......this may be it. so disappointed.

Yep, that app stopped working last week.  No fear, Rogers says you'll still be able to program your PVR by sitting in front of the TV and using the remote!  </sarcasm>

I have no idea why Rogers shut down such a useful feature.  First they replace the web browser with a new & improved, but useless new one and then shut down the smart phone/tablet app.  Yep, real progress.  I can only assume they're trying to get customers to take their business elsewhere.  They're certainly doing little to keep us.

jmcs
I Plan to Stick Around

It always comes down to money. 

We have only been without this feature for a couple of weeks, but every day I resent Rogers when I have to go downstairs and turn on the tv to see if my shows have taped. My PVR's are not allowing me to tape a series I watch every day, so I have to program each show as a single episode. Having to constantly go to a tv and turn it on to check is a real pain. Back to the dark ages!

Warthog729
I've Been Here Awhile
I totally agree with this post. I used the remote record capability extensively. This is just one more step toward pushing me away from Rogers. They seem to put customer service last far too consistently.

timlocke
I Plan to Stick Around

I don't think I cared much about being able to set a recording on the old app ( which I ran on an Ipad) It was useful but not important.    All I used the old app for was to use the guide and sometimes, to set a recording...just save going down to the basement and turning on the TV.

Anyway I downloaded the new app onto the Ipad and tried it.     Really weird. I started moving through the guide and as I got to 247 Discovery Science. It wasn't there!     Skipped from 245 to 248.    I continued up to 591 Documentary  and that wasn't there either.    I put in a review on the  App store and have ignored it since.  I have it installed so that when I check the App store every couple of weeks I'll see when it has a new version and try it.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@timlocke wrote:

...I started moving through the guide and as I got to 247 Discovery Science. It wasn't there!     Skipped from 245 to 248.    I continued up to 591 Documentary  and that wasn't there either.    

Yep, as reported in the link below:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/TV/Anyplace-TV-App/m-p/423568#M46666

Unfortunately, I did use Home Edition almost daily for searches,  for programming my PVR and checking scheduled recordings.  The Anyplace TV app is useless for me due to the missing channels and due to no Manage PVR.

I guess if you want to watch TV on a 4-10" screen, it's great, but I have a home theatre with large TV and surround sound and it's useless for that.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

which new app specifically?

I have the new Ignite TV... and am using the new ignite app.

The channels are different, as they have done a re-alignment for the new service.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

This thread is about the Home Edition app, which you can no longer use (as of a few weeks ago).  I, and the previous poster, were talking about the Anyplace TV app, for use with Navigatr (and SARA) boxes, which, unfortunately, is pretty useless for for scheduling due to the missing channels and due to no "manage PVR" capability. Very few many people have Ignite yet and that would be a different story and probably the topic of a different thread.

Anyplace TV seems to be fine for streaming, but then only to devices or computers as it doesn't allow for casting.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Right.
Sorry, was directed at @timlocke as he said he downloaded the new app..

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

By "new app", @timlocke probably meant Anyplace TV (which is missing the channels) since he had previously been using Home Edition.  Since this is getting a bit confusing, it would be nice if people use the actual name of the app, instead of "old" or "new" or "very new".  Same holds for SARA, RTN, Navigatr, Ignite...

dporter
I've Been Around

What a terrible APP !  , I pay for a subscription , then internet , home monitoring and now cell service . 

I think Rogers gets plenty of money from me . 

So I want to watch my TV outside and purchase a iphone adapter to connect to my TV , great right ? WRONG !

I connect it  , turn on my PAID " Rogers Anyplace TV " app and connect the cables to find it doesnt work due to an HDMI connection..... are you kidding me ?????????  What gives , what happened to " ANYPLACE " tv ? 

jp28
I've Been Around

The decision to take away the ability to remotely manage the PVR is downright terrible.

I had not tried it but knew it previously existed.  I was looking forward to setting up recordings while away on vacation.  Again, terrible decision. 

Unhappy2018
I've Been Around

Rogers was already a horrible company and its just got worse, whoever are the tech guys, they obviously have zero clue what the end user wants, its bad decision again and again, who in there right mind does not integrate the two apps and allow you to control your home PVR from the app,  there customer care has to be the worst of any big cooperate entity - period!!!

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

I won't dispute your opinion on customer service and what the customer wants in their service.

I have a list of issues as long as both arms on removal of feature sets that I used and others weren't happy either.

This one is not completely of Rogers doing - they are moving to Ignite TV using Comcast technology.

Now you may say - hey what does that have to do with my traditiional Cable TV navigagtr model?

Good question - first and most important - these apps were originally designed for navigatr, not for ignite.

There was no reason why the apps and the website couldn't run with manage my PVR or recordings on Anyplace TV on both phones, tablets, or desktop/laptops.

When Comcast first implemented the new model 3 years back, it all was present then.

In 2017, they lost an international trade ruling and they could not longer have manage PVR on any thing that touches their Ignite services.  This impacted all companies in North America who are implementing Comcast X1 technology, (Ignite TV), and so the manage PVR was removed from anyplace TV on desktop and on the tablet/smartphone apps. 

Tivo left the ability for the legacy apps that Shaw, Rogers, and Comcast and a few other companies had that were directly tied to the old model cable tv (in our case Navigatr), and the home featuremeant that you were just using DLNA over your WIFI to view TV, so you couldn't watch outside of the home Rogers WIFI connection to Internet.

Well, since that time, Comcast has dropped their legacy app, it appears that Shaw still distibutes and supports it, and still reports that manage and set recordings is still there for the legacy box, and now Rogers dropped theirs too.

In my discussions with upper level teams on the original drop of manage PVR on the Anyplace TV, I was advised that all resources were dedicated on the app side and online access to Ignite development and that the legacy stuff would have to wait and some features were going to be lost (no explanation why at that time.

Since then we know that the Web browser interface manage PVR and the app, which are now Anyplace TV and interfaced with Ignite back end side, that all references to recordings were first coming soon, along with full testing of all browsers as they wanted to keep evelopment narrow.  But we now know there are contractual legal issues related to this functioning .

There was no legal reason for removing the app, but now they claim it had little usage (the home app) and they felt that they could move foward to non-support and removal - shows that they are not willing to keep support for those who still had the feature - it was emphasized for months that it was coming soon on the other apps and web site, and pushed the Home version as a way, and then it became, no we are dropping it, but you can program from your home as an alternative from your remote - not exactly away from home PVR recording.

This is not the first time we have gone through this dropping of Manage PVR, we went throuigh it with Navigatr too, and here we go again.

They don't seem to recognize that what htey used to call valued added features is what brings people here and makes some people lead.  If Comcast ever settles the licensing issue with Tivo it may come back, but Comcast is holding fast saying the TIVO patents do not apply, but that could take years to resolve, and when you consider that every other company around is using those same patents, why not Comcast allow their new licensed com;panies use like Rogers.

This is Rogers - not first time I have watched them drop added value added features - one number, making data top ups on phones complicated and confusing, changing them every couple of months, difficult to understand models around comcast, Apple TV, android boxes and Roku boxes, continued poor quality modems, and the list goes on.

They used to be leaders, now they have moved from being leading edge developers, to being just another provider subcontracting services like Navigatr, Espial, Comcast, One nUmber, and they get caught being dependent upon what happens - moving from a devleoper of leading edge technology and ideas, to a consumer of technicology has its risks when you don't have a system of due dilegence and being prepared for plan b's and c's.  Now a company like the alternative one who started IPTV 10 years ago, not through development, but working closely with suppliers - they have always worked with outside providers, since Nortel ended, they have had no choice.

Oh well, enough Rant - we don't have manage PVR, we have poorly understood availability to channels on Anyplace TV depending upon where we are, and who knows if or when it will change, and as a user of navigatr, I worry about this trend of making it second fiddle while they keep developing the new one - it is not market ready yet and is still in soft launch now as they work all the bugs out.  Then build advertising and support, and in the meantime, it seems clear that Navigatr is second fiddle at this time, and often they have fiddles with broken strings being asked to keep playing. LOL

Bruce

yowser
I've Been Here Awhile

"Are there any 'work arounds' or alternatives (while staying with Rogers) ?"
I didn't read the whole thread, but the one workaround I can think of is a Slingbox. They're designed for watching remotely whatever's on the TV. But this has the side-effect of letting you control the STB or PVR, including setting recordings. It's not as elegant as the app's way (before May 31) but it usually works. You enter commands in the Slingplayer app (or website I think) the Slingbox sends the appropriate IR signals to the PVR. The old Rogers app (and the current Fibe TV app) are much more elegant for this.

Slingboxes are surprisingly expensive considering they're a technology whose time has come and gone (I got my first in 2006 when almost no programming was available online). Now you can just use "[network] GO" and watch recent programs for the most part. I'm considering hooking up one of my old v1 Slingboxes just to use to control the PVR remotely on my notebook (not worth it for remote watching). Newer Slingboxes work on mobile devices, are easier to install, and so on.

Not sure how long I'll stay with Rogers, with this in addition to the junk that passes for a PVR.

iainburns
I've Been Here Awhile

I agree with everything you said. I used the remote PVR feature extensively. With no notice they stop it and give us an application that doesn't work. I am also sick to death trying to contact someone over the chat service (at least 30min to 1 hr). I am going back to Bell