Important notice about the Rogers Anyplace TV Home Edition app = Feature going away

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Important notice about the Rogers Anyplace TV Home Edition app = Feature going away

@mojoscot2 : Your post was probably moved to this existing thread on the topic. As you can see, this issue has been around for about half a year due to patent issues.  See earlier posts in this thread including post 9 and post 148 regarding possible return of the feature.

I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Important notice about the Rogers Anyplace TV Home Edition app = Feature going away

Okay, so I called rogers to ask why I no longer could record remotely to PVR.  They quickly told me I could but only through Ignite, which I don't have.  They then went on a strong sales pitch for ignite and I went ahead and moved to that.  Not only for the remote function but because it worked out at the same price.  Currently I pay for TV Cable, home phone and internet.  The cost for Ignite includes all 3 and is $5 a month more.  Am I happy I need to change - no.  I personally feel that this function was removed from regular cable to upsell Ignite.  It works for me cost wise, but only because I had an expensive package plus unlimited internet to start with plus still have a home phone.  Someone who didn't have add on channels, a home phone and didn't use a lot if internet will have to pay a ridiculous price to get this function.  

I'm a Senior Advisor

@mojoscot2 wrote:

I personally feel that this function was removed from regular cable to upsell Ignite.

Maybe, but if there are patent infringements then I suppose Rogers would not pay for the rights to use it on a system they're getting ready to phase out, just on the new Ignite TV. However, there are many different ways to skin a cat and I seriously doubt the the idea of remote scheduling could be patented, just specific technology. And I doubt the technology for Ignite TV is the same. Rogers just didn't want to pay for patent rights to satisfy cable customers, whom they intend to switch or ditch in the future.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@mojoscot2 wrote:

They quickly told me I could but only through Ignite, which I don't have.  They then went on a strong sales pitch for ignite and I went ahead and moved to that.  

This information is incorrect. "Manage PVR" (remotely programming your PVR) does not work on Ignite either (at this time) as discussed in this and other threads. (unless things have changed in the past few days) Sorry to burst your bubble.  Anyplace (streaming) does work on both Ignite and Digital Cable.  The CSRs confuse the functionality all the time.

The Ignite app also allows you to download recordings to your tablet (not available on Digital Cable).

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

So you can now definitely use the remote control of PVR function if you have Ignite? I asked some time ago and was told yes by Rogers, then later no. 

However, I still do not wish to pay more for what I once had.  Even without Ignite, my last Rogers bill skyrocketed by $100. I called and was able to negotiate a better price, but that is another sore point. You shouldn't have to call and beg every year or two to get a fair price. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert