cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ignite TV - Installing my own mesh network

tinious
I Plan to Stick Around

I switched from the old netbox tech to the Ignite package last week.  I knew it was going to have a lot of issues, but figured I would give it two weeks and see how it was before swapping over to Bell Fibe.  Sure enough, I'm having nothing but problems.

That being said, the XB6 (CGM4140COM) and connectivity to Rogers appears to be rock solid from what I can tell.  I have a direct network cable to it and have had 0 downtime AFAICT -- so that's a positive.

The issue is with the wireless.  The tech insisted the XB6 box had to be installed in the basement directly on the incoming line.  This is despite the fact I have a coax line running to the middle of my house where I had the previous modem.  Fine.  But sure enough, there's simply not enough range to get WiFi signal to my second floor.

To solve this, the tech installed a RE450 TPLINK extender in my main floor hallway.  What's frustrating for me is I had an RE450 already, and it's a piece of junk.  Constantly freezing, lagging and slowdown problems.  I would have expected a higher grade to be used here.  I noted that I've had nothing but problems with TPLINK in my house, but it's what the tech went with.  Everything setup fine on the three Xi6-A boxes...

Since then, I have all the usual issues -- black screens, frequent rebooting required as things hang, etc, etc.  I'm convinced it's the TPLINK extender.

I realize I could call Rogers and another nice tech will come out, and perhaps install wireline extender(s) or offer me some other setup.  But I figure I might as well bite the bullet and  setup a home mesh, something I likely should have done a couple years ago...

With that context, my questions are:

* If I setup a mesh and keep the same SSID, do I need to (or have Rogers) do anything with the Xi6-A boxes?  Or are they simply driven off the SSID and will happily run through any wireless network I provide for them?  Put another way, does Rogers somehow lock the Xi6-A boxes to the router/system with Mac address or such?

* Any recommendations on mesh networks that people have with Ignite and are happy with?  Google home seems to be very popular in my circles of american friends, but not sure I know of any Canadians who use it with Rogers Ignite.

*Added Labels*

63 REPLIES 63

Re: Ignite TV - Installing my own mesh network

seadooxp30
I'm a Reliable Contributor

@tinious wrote:

I switched from the old netbox tech to the Ignite package last week.  I knew it was going to have a lot of issues, but figured I would give it two weeks and see how it was before swapping over to Bell Fibe.  Sure enough, I'm having nothing but problems.

That being said, the XB6 (CGM4140COM) and connectivity to Rogers appears to be rock solid from what I can tell.  I have a direct network cable to it and have had 0 downtime AFAICT -- so that's a positive.

The issue is with the wireless.  The tech insisted the XB6 box had to be installed in the basement directly on the incoming line.  This is despite the fact I have a coax line running to the middle of my house where I had the previous modem.  Fine.  But sure enough, there's simply not enough range to get WiFi signal to my second floor.

To solve this, the tech installed a RE450 TPLINK extender in my main floor hallway.  What's frustrating for me is I had an RE450 already, and it's a piece of junk.  Constantly freezing, lagging and slowdown problems.  I would have expected a higher grade to be used here.  I noted that I've had nothing but problems with TPLINK in my house, but it's what the tech went with.  Everything setup fine on the three Xi6-A boxes...

Since then, I have all the usual issues -- black screens, frequent rebooting required as things hang, etc, etc.  I'm convinced it's the TPLINK extender.

I realize I could call Rogers and another nice tech will come out, and perhaps install wireline extender(s) or offer me some other setup.  But I figure I might as well bite the bullet and  setup a home mesh, something I likely should have done a couple years ago...

With that context, my questions are:

* If I setup a mesh and keep the same SSID, do I need to (or have Rogers) do anything with the Xi6-A boxes?  Or are they simply driven off the SSID and will happily run through any wireless network I provide for them?  Put another way, does Rogers somehow lock the Xi6-A boxes to the router/system with Mac address or such?

* Any recommendations on mesh networks that people have with Ignite and are happy with?  Google home seems to be very popular in my circles of american friends, but not sure I know of any Canadians who use it with Rogers Ignite.

I had my own ASUS Ai mesh but was told by support that is the cause of my issue so I gave up and went with eero mesh.

Its a great system but not cheap.

Basically they disable the Wi-Fi on the Rogers modem and make it to connect to eero hub and depend on your house size you may need one or two extra beacon.

4.99 for the hub and 4 month for each beacon!!!

tinious
I Plan to Stick Around
Yeah, so to be clear -- I am not paying Rogers for a mesh. Either I install one of my own chosing, myself, or I guess I'm done with them (unless there's some other simple fix to the problems I'm having -- coincedentally I just went upstairs to grab a drink, flipped on my main floor TV and it was hung yet again and required a reboot.... 😞

seadooxp30
Look elsewhere as every other mesh system causes issue with IgniteTV

I gave up on my ASUS setup and if they don’t fix other issues i’m Jumping ship

tinious
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks, glad I asked.

Surprised they think a wifi extender would be any better than a mesh.  

seadooxp30
Honestly i’m Surprised Rogers tech installed TP link!!!
Where did he got that from???
They should be only using eero

tinious
I Plan to Stick Around
He was himming and hawing about a power line extender, but went to his truck and installed a TPLINK RE450 instead. I had the exact same model (at first I thought it was different) -- and mine has been nothing but problems. So is this one.

seadooxp30
Wow!!!
Just priceless ...
I underestand there is charge for eero but they shouldn’t be installing that junk!
Call your concierge and complain

seanxushen
I Plan to Stick Around

Why make things so complex? Just Exit (5sec), down, down,9434. enter the wifi menu, and enter your SSID and password of your mesh..(suppose your Modem is set to bridge. if not search Rogers FAQ). 

tinious
I Plan to Stick Around
Sorry Sean, are you saying you've been running on a mesh with no problems? If so, which one?

seanxushen
I Plan to Stick Around

Mesh is no different than using your own router, and set Modem to the bridge mode. Just follow my instruction above. You shall have no problem..

Polluted
I've Been Here Awhile
I have a Velop mesh running perfectly with my Ignite package.

1) Disable wi-fi on Rogers modem.
2) Run Velop in Bridge mode (essentially a misnamed Access Point mode)

Rogers modem is *not* in bridge mode.

All Velop nodes are getting ipv6 addresses and the ignite boxes work perfectly wired or wireless. I have them wired to either the switch attached to my main Velop node or directly to a Velop node in the remote locations.

I lost all of the advanced controls for the Velop such as device prioritizarion but that’s less important than having decent connectivity!

Does exit,down,down,9434 still work? Nothing happens for me. I can get into the diagnostics screen with ROGERS, down, down, 2 but that doesn’t allow me to change the stb wifi settings.

i changed the network SSID and need to adjust my stb accordingly...where do I configure the wifi settings on the stb?

seanxushen
I Plan to Stick Around

Make sure you don't have ethernet connected while you perform this task..

I am wanting to hook up my google wifi to my Ignite router but it’s not seeing it. What am I missing?

RogersTim
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey @kimmer2,

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums and thanks for your post! 🙂

A Mesh network can certainly give you extra Wi-Fi coverage around your home. Please have a look through the previous posts of this thread, as some other Community members have had success setting up their Mesh networks.

You may need to factory reset your Mesh network to start from scratch. Please take a look at this YouTube tutorial on the setup process, found here

RogersTim

Thank you - I have done all of that, reset my Google Wifi to factory settings to start the process over again.  It would not see the information from the Rogers modem.   I have tried it about 4 times.  I will try again tonight.  I can't get past that initial step.  When I had it through the Bell modem, it was instant, just as the video link showed.  Couldn't have been easier.  This is not working like that....which was the reason for my posted question. I thought I was missing something that should be quite simple!  The app just spins as its looking for the information so I don't even get to the other steps.  I haven't contacted Google help as of yet, thought I would start here given this is a new service for me.  Wish me luck.  Maybe 5th time will be the charm?

@kimmer2 the video for the google mesh network is pretty simplistic to say the least.  There is no mention of whether the modem can operate in Gateway or Bridge mode, but it appears that the google mesh network expects the modem to be operating in Gateway mode(??).  The point was made in the video that the Google system replaces the "router" to provide whole home coverage.  The online documentation indicates that the Google wifi system uses a Stateful Firewall, so, you could in theory run the modem in Bridge mode.  If you wanted to try that, have a look at the following post by @Ookpic :

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Ignite-TV/Rogers-Ignite-TV-Alternate-wifi-connection-possibili...

It looks like your having problems at the very beginning and when you say that "It would not see the information from the Rogers modem." I'm assuming that the google node can't see the modem.   That would suggest a cable or connector issue.  I'd remove the cable connector from the modem and google node and reconnect them.  Since the modem has two ethernet ports, try the other ethernet port.  If that doesn't work, try another ethernet cable that works with other devices, just on the theory that the cable that you're currently using might have developed a problem with the connectors or the cable itself. .  

Since the google mesh network is supposed to replace the existing wifi system, that really leaves you with a couple of possibilities:

1.  You can leave the modem wifi running and use it to connect to the tv's; or

2.  Disable the modem wifi and use the meshnetwork only.  That's my take on the setup video.  If that's what you're doing, you will have to use the same network names and passphrases, or, if you prefer to use your own network name and passphrase, you can manually enter the network passphrase into the Xi6-A set top box.  Here's the instruction for doing that:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Ignite-TV/Rogers-Ignite-TV-Alternate-wifi-connection-possibili...

Note that the Google wifi system doesn't support WPS, which the XI6-a set top box does.  So, you can't pair the set top boxes to the mesh network using WPS.  In any event, WPS isn't secure, which is why Google doesn't support it.  Score one for google.  Wish every other manufacturer would do the same.  @Gdkitty's instruction should make it easy to set the network name and passphrase in the set top box. 

i got this all figured out. Thank you for your help.

Polluted
I've Been Here Awhile
It’s useful for anyone experiencing the same issues that you faced to describe how you solved the problem.

I went to link proved to me above and followed the instructions. I also saw another link that advised and I followed: changed the name and password of my Ignite network to match the mesh Network name and password. When it resets all the TVs worked. Before that step I turned on bridge and TVs didn’t work. I wasn’t sure how to connect but the above step made it so much easier. 

We Want Your Opinion
Would you be interested in becoming a Community Testing Lab member?
Topic Stats