cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ignite TV - Connection Issues

WKHC
I've Been Around

Let me share my horrible experience with Ignite TV. I am seriously considering switching back to cable or maybe Bell is worth a look now. 

I have been a Rogers Cable customer for over what 26 year at my currently location now, I have cable, internet, cell phone and home phone all with them but last Dec I notice my bundle discount has stopped and my bill went up a lot. I called customer service and trying to get my discount back but they sold me on an UPGRADE to this premier service Ignite TV. With the installation discount an all I thought I would give it a try. Installation was on Dec 27 2018. 1) First it was the installation hiccup - the TVs stopped working after the guy left and I had to escalate to get the same guy to come back that evening to fix the problem. The reason I was given was that the coax cable connecting to the modem was pinched and he had to tighten the connection and the system started working again. 

2) So it was working fine except whenever the network goes down, the IP phone is dead and my alarm system would beep because a phone line fault is detected. My alarm company would call and would not be able to get through to the home phone so they would call my cell phone. This happened usually in the middle of the night because Rogers probably thinks that no one is using the network so it is ok to reboot it?

3) Then started last week, about a month after the system was installed and some of my laptops (mix of Mac and Windows)  would be able to connect to the WiFi but would not be able to reach the internet. I started to do some diagnostics ( still remember how to use ipconfig on a command prompt) and determined that some machine would have the default gateway and DNS server at 10.0.0.1 and they would work properly, the other ones that for some reason would have the old 192.168. 0.254 would either have no internet access or connect but can reach some sites like Google and Youtube but not Roger.com or RBC.com etc.  This tells me it is a DNS server issue. All machines's config is to get the DNS Server automatically from the WiFi network and are not hardcode. Remember all these machines were working fine before I switched to Ignite and were working fine for about a month. Last Friday I spent about 2 3 hour on the phone with a Rogers agent who has no clue what a DNS server is about, insisted that since some machine works and some don't then it it not the network problems. Told me I need to find someone to check my machines out! I repeatedly trying to explain to him that there where no change in my machines but he has no clue and suggested to send a technician to check it out. On this past Sunday, the technician came and spent again 2-3 hours trying many rebooting of the router, rebooting of my machines, tried different TCPIP config changes (which was my tasks as the technician claims that he is only a cable guy  and not a computer guy). At the end of that I still have some machines working and some don't. The strange thing is that some would work at one time and then not working another time. It is like they are limiting a fix number of machines to work. AT the end, the tech guy blamed the issue with the bad weather. But the issues started mid last week before the weather turn bad!

4) On Monday night there was a power surge and all machine was rebooted including the router. And my alarm company calling routine once again. But after that, because the router were rebooted, all the machines got the 10.0.0.1 addresses and all started to work. I thought finally, they fixed whatever the problem with the network was and thought I can now sleep easy. 

5) This afternoon, the problem returns. It is 2:30 AM now and I am still up because I just spent another 2 and half hour on the phone with Rogers Tech support this evening again trying to figure out what the . is wrong. At the end they couldn't fix it and now blame it on the faulty modem and will need to send another technician next Wednesday (earliest evening appointment they have) to replace the modem! I am guessing that the tech will say he is the network guy and not a computer guy and I have to go find other help?  

The net of this is that Ignite is just nothing but nightmare for me. what I want is a stable network and accessing the internet is really a basic thing that a carrier should provide. So much for this PREMIER service I was lured into. 

I am giving them one more chance, and at the meantime I am shopping for alternatives. There are many options out there these days I heard.

80 REPLIES 80

Re: Ignite TV - Connection Issues

COPO
I Plan to Stick Around

Revised- if I use the Smart TV's remote I will sometimes see a lost connection on the TV screen.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@COPO wrote:

Revised- if I use the Smart TV's remote I will sometimes see a lost connection on the TV screen.

This is due to the handshake between the TV and the STB not working properly. When you turn on the box and the TV at the same time, the box will usually shake hands with the TV to make sure the proper signal goes to the TV.  If you turn on the TV by itself, then there is no "handshake" initiated.  Do you see "lost connection" or "no signal" as these are different - the former relates to the box' incoming signal while the latter relates to no signal from the box to the TV.

One thing you could try is to set the box' output format to the TV's resolution under Video Settings. If you don't have a 4K TV, set it to 1080i. If you have a 4K TV set it to 4K.  It may currently be set to "auto" which may require a handshake each time.

Pressing "guide" (or perhaps any other button on the Rogers remote) wakes up the box initiating a handshake.

COPO
I Plan to Stick Around

The Rogers Ignite boxes in the house are always on and the message I get on the TV is No Signal. I can live with what I do to resolve the problem rather than creating a new problem with changing my settings.

Eldshe
I've Been Here Awhile
Having the exact same issues as everyone else and nothing is being done by rogers to fix it. This isn't a one off problem. Very dissatisfied since day one. Want to cancel but apparently I will loose my email.address that I have had for 15+ years if i do. This is complete bull

COPO
I Plan to Stick Around

Losing your email address sounds like a scare tactic IMO

Good evening @Eldshe,

Welcome to the Rogers Community! I can understand the frustration caused by problems with your Ignite TV experience. 

Could you elaborate on the nature of the issues you're experiencing, as well as the troubleshooting steps performed thus far? We definitely want to help you remain a satisfied Rogers customer, as we value your business and thank you for your loyalty.

Typically, when you cancel your Rogers Internet service, the email address associated with your account is terminated. If you must use your @rogers.com email account after discontinuing Rogers Internet, you should initiate moving your email account to a friend or family member who has Rogers Internet, prior to discontinuing your Internet service.

Please also see this post where @Daffy44 was able to transfer emails, contacts, and calendar to a @Gmail account.

RogersMaude

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Eldshe 

Agreed, what you are experiencing isnt a one off issue.
But there are many others out there without the issue.  So its not a global issue either.

But yes, as with any other providers email service.. its tied with that service.
You cancel, its no longer available.  You are no longer paying for that service.

The email as mentioned can be moved to another users rogers account if they have one (I have done it in the past)

Lndsybtt
I've Been Around

Ignite tv not connecting to Wifi. Wifi is working fine though.

Hello @Lndsybtt,

It's great to have you in the Rogers Community Forums and congrats on your very first post! 👍

It's odd that the TV connection isn't working when your WiFi seems to be okay--not a very pleasant experience I'm sure. ☹️ Would you be able to provide the Community with a bit more information? For example, what do you see when you power your TV on? Are multiple TVs affected within your home or just a specific TV? Have you attempted to reset the affected TV box to see if this helps?

We look forward to your response! 😊

Kind regards,

RogersLaura

We had Ignite installed two months ago. In that two months, our internet (sometimes just wifi, sometimes LAN, sometimes both) has gone down literally hundreds of times. It might be for 30 seconds, it might be for 2 hours. Just today it went down 4 times.

The tech was here 2 days ago. Put in all new cables, splitters, went up the pole outside, everything. He replaced everything but the modem. We have a tech coming on Monday. We are getting a new modem, even if Rogers doesn't want to.

Have any of you had similar problems? It's been a nightmare, and Rogers, as usual, is all about "Sorry" & not about getting things fixed.

davej13
I Plan to Stick Around

Yeah, I'm seeing more and more issues as well.  My wife is home on mat leave and get a couple of texts per day about the TV being down again.  My feeling is that the issue (at least for us) is the wireless pods since the signal seems most flakey when the TV box connects to a pod on the other side of the house on a different floor instead of the one 10 feet away in the same room.  I think I'm going to go back to my Archer router as an AP and disconnect the pods.

Wondering if this is something with the new pods?

I am running the older Eero ones, which the TV seems to always connect to the closest/one it was originally connected to.

I wonder if that might be something to try.. 
Re setting up the wifi on all the boxes.. try to force the connection to the closer ones.

sadchel
I Plan to Stick Around

if I want to hardwire an ignite box to modem which ethernet cable is required cat5 or cat6?

also, will an ethernet cable run 50-100ft affect signal strength?

thanks

Cat5e should be enough.  But always best to get better, if its cost efficient enough.
Shorter distance is always better. But you should be ok with 100ft.
You might get a small signal drop, effecting the MAX speed. 
But even on 5e you should be able to get up to a max of 1gbps with the right hardware on each end, so still should be ample enough to run the streams for the ignite box.

sadchel
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks.

If I get Ignite TV I want to hardwire my modem to downstairs desktop (roughly 65ft) and to downstairs TV (roughly 80ft) to give more wifi strength to other TV boxes and devices

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@sadchel wrote:

if I want to hardwire an ignite box to modem which ethernet cable is required cat5 or cat6?

also, will an ethernet cable run 50-100ft affect signal strength?

For 1000BASE-T / Gigabit Ethernet, the spec says that you can have segment runs of up to 100m with Cat 5 cable.  Cat 5e is common these days and is what I would recommend.  (Cat 5 became deprecated almost 20 years ago.  Cat 5e is a better cable because it reduces crosstalk between pairs.  Cat 6 is better still, works over a wider range of frequencies, and is what you would need for 10-Gigabit Ethernet.)

The Xi6-A set-top box only has a 100BASE-T (Fast Ethernet) port so at 50 - 100 feet, you are not anywhere close to approaching any of the maximums for the spec.

sadchel
I Plan to Stick Around

On a kinda related issue....sort of😊

Currently have Bell landline phone...

I want to keep my phone#

Can Rogers port my landline #?

and I should not contact Bell about canceling, I should let Rogers deal with that, correct?  

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@sadchel wrote:

On a kinda related issue....sort of😊

Currently have Bell landline phone...

I want to keep my phone#

Can Rogers port my landline #?

and I should not contact Bell about canceling, I should let Rogers deal with that, correct?  

Yes, Rogers can port your telephone number to the new service, and it is best to just let Rogers perform the entire process just to make sure that Bell does not "misunderstand" you and cancel your telephone service prematurely before the port gets completed.  You'll know when Rogers submits the port request because you'll suddenly get bombarded with calls from Bell's Retention group.

Do you have any other services will Bell other than Home Phone?  One thing that you'll want to pay attention to is the cancellation date that Rogers submits.  Once your Ignite TV install gets completed successfully, call Bell immediately to confirm that your services with them will be cancelled at the end of the current business day, just to make sure that there is "no mix-up in the paperwork" and so that you won't get (over-)charged for the services that you are no longer using.

If you will be using your inside wiring for the phone service, make sure that your installation tech disconnects the wires for the incoming Bell line from your inside wiring before connecting the telephone port of the XB6 gateway.

sadchel
I Plan to Stick Around

I only have landline phone from Bell.

As I understand....I can simply run a standard phone cable (rj11) from the Ingite modem to any existing phone jack and all my phone jacks throughout my home will work

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@sadchel wrote:

As I understand....I can simply run a standard phone cable (rj11) from the Ingite modem to any existing phone jack and all my phone jacks throughout my home will work

Yes, that should work fine, so long as the inside wiring is good/to-spec and you do not have a wired home alarm system... and, of course, that the incoming Bell service has been completely disconnected inside your home.

Edit: Also, if you should run into any issues, you can buy an inexpensive phone line tester to confirm that the incoming Bell line has been disconnected and that everything is "to spec" at each jack after your Ignite phone service is installed.

sadchel
I Plan to Stick Around

Will the Roger tech disconnect the Bell line from outside the house at Bell's entry box point or disconnect the line inside my house at the my 'distribution' junction box point where all my jacks are wired from?  

We Want Your Opinion
Would you be interested in becoming a Community Testing Lab member?
Topic Stats