cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ignite TV - Connection Issues

WKHC
I've Been Around

Let me share my horrible experience with Ignite TV. I am seriously considering switching back to cable or maybe Bell is worth a look now. 

I have been a Rogers Cable customer for over what 26 year at my currently location now, I have cable, internet, cell phone and home phone all with them but last Dec I notice my bundle discount has stopped and my bill went up a lot. I called customer service and trying to get my discount back but they sold me on an UPGRADE to this premier service Ignite TV. With the installation discount an all I thought I would give it a try. Installation was on Dec 27 2018. 1) First it was the installation hiccup - the TVs stopped working after the guy left and I had to escalate to get the same guy to come back that evening to fix the problem. The reason I was given was that the coax cable connecting to the modem was pinched and he had to tighten the connection and the system started working again. 

2) So it was working fine except whenever the network goes down, the IP phone is dead and my alarm system would beep because a phone line fault is detected. My alarm company would call and would not be able to get through to the home phone so they would call my cell phone. This happened usually in the middle of the night because Rogers probably thinks that no one is using the network so it is ok to reboot it?

3) Then started last week, about a month after the system was installed and some of my laptops (mix of Mac and Windows)  would be able to connect to the WiFi but would not be able to reach the internet. I started to do some diagnostics ( still remember how to use ipconfig on a command prompt) and determined that some machine would have the default gateway and DNS server at 10.0.0.1 and they would work properly, the other ones that for some reason would have the old 192.168. 0.254 would either have no internet access or connect but can reach some sites like Google and Youtube but not Roger.com or RBC.com etc.  This tells me it is a DNS server issue. All machines's config is to get the DNS Server automatically from the WiFi network and are not hardcode. Remember all these machines were working fine before I switched to Ignite and were working fine for about a month. Last Friday I spent about 2 3 hour on the phone with a Rogers agent who has no clue what a DNS server is about, insisted that since some machine works and some don't then it it not the network problems. Told me I need to find someone to check my machines out! I repeatedly trying to explain to him that there where no change in my machines but he has no clue and suggested to send a technician to check it out. On this past Sunday, the technician came and spent again 2-3 hours trying many rebooting of the router, rebooting of my machines, tried different TCPIP config changes (which was my tasks as the technician claims that he is only a cable guy  and not a computer guy). At the end of that I still have some machines working and some don't. The strange thing is that some would work at one time and then not working another time. It is like they are limiting a fix number of machines to work. AT the end, the tech guy blamed the issue with the bad weather. But the issues started mid last week before the weather turn bad!

4) On Monday night there was a power surge and all machine was rebooted including the router. And my alarm company calling routine once again. But after that, because the router were rebooted, all the machines got the 10.0.0.1 addresses and all started to work. I thought finally, they fixed whatever the problem with the network was and thought I can now sleep easy. 

5) This afternoon, the problem returns. It is 2:30 AM now and I am still up because I just spent another 2 and half hour on the phone with Rogers Tech support this evening again trying to figure out what the . is wrong. At the end they couldn't fix it and now blame it on the faulty modem and will need to send another technician next Wednesday (earliest evening appointment they have) to replace the modem! I am guessing that the tech will say he is the network guy and not a computer guy and I have to go find other help?  

The net of this is that Ignite is just nothing but nightmare for me. what I want is a stable network and accessing the internet is really a basic thing that a carrier should provide. So much for this PREMIER service I was lured into. 

I am giving them one more chance, and at the meantime I am shopping for alternatives. There are many options out there these days I heard.

80 REPLIES 80

Re: Ignite TV - Connection Issues

scouternorm
I Plan to Stick Around

Did you resolve your connection issues? I am getting Ignite installed in a few days, but there seems to be a lot of issues, and I really don't need more grief. The modem seems to had connection problems and speed issues when in wireless mode.

Z0mbiE
I've Been Here Awhile
I also have the same daily issue of lost wifi. Everything goes down for 5-10 minutes and i too was lured/forced to go to Ignite TV as the cable system is being phased out for the newer Ignite system. Rogers raised my cost ob cable to an additional $125.00 more or switch to Ignite option and pay another $25.00 per month instead. Hello Bell. I been Rogers for over 13 years but Bell is looking likely soon. Today the system Ignite went down 3 times and it's only 2:OOPM.

COPO
I Plan to Stick Around

^^ You better get Rogers out to your place and have him check out the boxes out on the street. I put up with my connection dropping 3-5 X's/day for Months. When Rogers looks at my connection it looks fine. Ya no kidding Sherlock. They blamed it on interference in the house from something. The Tech guy that came to the house checked my signal, it was fine and the box in front of my house was ok, 1 ground was bad at the outside box on my wall. He escalated it and the next day Rogers was out on the street down from me and found and replaced bad components in the 2 street boxes up from me. Ever since he fixed that, my connections been fine.

Z0mbiE
I've Been Here Awhile

I've been saying this same thing to Rogers forever now. Rogers says they upgrading outside equipment. They also replaced the inside modem 3 times. I ask Rogers about my neighbours and the phone rep says nobody else is having an issue but, I don't really expect the truth from them as it makes them look bad on the Ignite TV. Today a tech is showing up again to check the inside. What a waste of time. Hopefully it encourages them to take a harder look at the outside connection on the apartment building wall. WiFi in a 950sq/ft 3 bedroom in 2019 is not much of a reach so it stands to reason it's not the apartment that's the problem nor the setup. Hopefully Rogers will get their act together and resolve the outside issues in their gear out there. They're running out of chances here to get it together.

Hello, @Z0mbiE.

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums! 

I appreciate you joining this discussion and sharing your WiFi stability issues. When the WiFi is lost on your devices, do you notice the TVs drop connection as well? Do you have any hard-wired device that drops the connection at the same time?

If only a few WiFi devices drop the connection, then the issue could be related to some internal interference.  In case if all the wired and wireless devices, including TVs, drop the connection at the same time; then it has to be cable network related. We hope today's tech visit will resolve the issue. 

Keep the Community informed.

Cheers,

RogersMoin

COPO
I Plan to Stick Around

I hate when Rogers blames it on internal interference. That's simply a cop out. That's what they told me from the help desk and it ended up being bad components in 2 street boxes up from me, but not the one near my front yard. I deal with Tech on Twitter since they seem to know more than anyone else.

Z0mbiE
I've Been Here Awhile

I guess we'll see now that the tech has completed his assessment. Right off I told not to waste his time nor mine replacing the modem cause it has been done prior a few times with no success. He replaced some connectors inside on the main feed cable to the WiFi modem and got rid of a junction 3-way that was still installed on it. He also went to the box on the outside wall of the apartment building and relocated my connection to a different port out there. Gave me his contact number for an update in 24/48 hours and I'll be able to tell him if there has been an improvement. I was getting disconnected every day multiple times even. If not improved, then the only other thing they can do is run a new incoming replacement cable up the side of the building which would require the building owner's permission to do so.(Like i got nothing else better to do but phone and go through that ordeal, Right?) Guess we'll wait and see.

layden87
I Plan to Stick Around

Gigabit Speeds

I recently switched from Bell Fibe 25 to Rogers 1GB service.

One month in:

A lot of my devices cannot connect to the wifi

My tv sometimes will pause, audio drop and lose wifi connection as well. (Ignite TV)

and when I do speed tests (like right now) I hit 158 download speed and 32.5 upload speed.

How is this anywhere near the 1GB advertised? Less than 200mbs? I'm thinking I should just go back to Bell because this is ridiculous. 

A few questions.

How are you doing the testing?
Testing over wifi.. unless you had the BEST of the BEST wifi equipment, both on the router side, as well as the computer side.. you would be hard pressed to get 1gbs.
Speed tests should be done over an Ethernet connection.  Will more be able to gauge what the capability through the modem is.
(end point source being checked against, can make a difference too.  Testing to the default that speedtest.net is not always the best one for best results)

As for the TV cutting out, etc..
In most cases, thats due to wifi quality.  
Where was the modem installed?  May require a moving of the modem to a more central spot.. or going up to using the mesh network devices.

But that all falls back to the signal to the house.
Its quite possible when the tech came in, the didnt quite do a the full job. (seems to happen more often then not 😞 )
If the signal is not up to snuff.. it can cause overall slow downs with the service as a whole, and not getting full speeds. 

EG: My signal is pretty decent to the modem.  On a wired connection, on the 500mbps service, i regularly can pull over 550+.  Wireless, generally get less than 200.. but thats just to the one device.. still more than enough to stream/run anything wirelessly.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@layden87 wrote:

Gigabit Speeds

I recently switched from Bell Fibe 25 to Rogers 1GB service.

One month in:

A lot of my devices cannot connect to the wifi

My tv sometimes will pause, audio drop and lose wifi connection as well. (Ignite TV)

and when I do speed tests (like right now) I hit 158 download speed and 32.5 upload speed.

How is this anywhere near the 1GB advertised? Less than 200mbs? I'm thinking I should just go back to Bell because this is ridiculous. 

What equipment are you using for Wi-Fi connectivity?  Direct to the XB6?  Range extender?  eero (or other) mesh solution?  Have you performed any wireless scans (using an app on a smart phone) to check signal strength throughout your home and to find/eliminate any channel conflicts or other sources of interference?  If you have a mesh network, range extenders or multiple access points and reset any of your wireless network gear, you'll likely need to power-cycle your Xi6 set-top boxes to ensure that they connect to the strongest access point.  (Devices typically won't try to switch to a stronger access point unless the signal strength drops below a certain threshold.  If a connection drops, some devices will also first try to reconnect to the same BSSID even if a more optimal one is available; that's why a manual disconnect or power-cycle may be required.)

As for the low speeds that you are seeing, are you doing your speed tests wired or wireless?  Which service(s) are you using?

layden87
I Plan to Stick Around

So we recently switched from Bell to Rogers and got the Gigabit internet package. Since then, we've had constant problems.

1: Our devices disconnect from the wifi randomly. We've had our Echo Dot disconnect and our LG tv disconnect. Both are incredibly hard to get back on the wifi and as of writing this, the TV is not connected to the internet, despite the my ignite hub saying it is....

2: My wife's phone...none of the apps are loading properly. Instagram, Facebook, etc....the live feeds are just grey pictures with the loading circle. We went to her sisters and she logged onto their wifi, it worked perfectly. Got back home on our wifi, same problem. Grey or blurry images with the loading circle. None of these apps work. 

3: We had a tech come and check the signal, they say it's good. He switched out the box for a new one....but we're getting the same issues. 

This a house or apartment?
Asking, just to see if this could be a possible case of interference.

As well, is the modem in the same location as were the bell one was before?
Could be a wireless range/quality issue.

layden87
I Plan to Stick Around

House. Different location because the tech could only find one area where the cable was working. It's in our furnace room. So I can't hardwire anything to it, everything is over the wifi. 

Don't know how signal strength would explain my wife's phone issue though. Web-browsing is fine, but social media feed not loading? 

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@layden87 wrote:

House. Different location because the tech could only find one area where the cable was working. It's in our furnace room. So I can't hardwire anything to it, everything is over the wifi. 

Don't know how signal strength would explain my wife's phone issue though. Web-browsing is fine, but social media feed not loading? 

A poor Wi-Fi signal would only explain slow speeds, packet loss, and disconnects.  The social media feeds not loading is being caused by something else.

One difference between Bell and Rogers is that Bell's Internet connection is IPv4-only; Rogers offers IPv4 and IPv6 connectivity.  Not sure if that is causing problems but you can test using the following links:

https://test-ipv6.com/ (You should score 10/10)

https://ipv6-test.com/ (You should score 19/20 with only the Hostname test not passing)

It sounds like you're using the Ignite WiFi Hub service.  Do you also have Protected Browsing enabled and if so, does turning it off fix the problems?

layden87
I Plan to Stick Around

IPv4 rest was 10/10

IPv6 test was 16/20 on my phone.

Tested my wife’s galaxy s7.

IPv6 test. 0/20. Nothing was supported.

Waited a bit and tried again, she got 10/20.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@layden87  You definitely have some strange connectivity issues.  I'm confident that the problems are totally fixable but they need to get resolved methodically, step by step.

Getting back to issues 1-3 in your previous post:

For #1: First and foremost, since you're connecting exclusively though Wi-Fi, you need to get good, stable network connectivity to all of your devices; they should not be dropping their Wi-Fi connections.  It's probably best that you contact tech support, discuss your issues and concerns with them, and try to get them to send a technician out again.  The field tech needs to confirm that you have a strong Wi-Fi signal throughout your home AND make sure that you are not getting any interference (in any way) from your neighbour's Wi-Fi.  (With your XB6 located in the basement, it's possible that you and your neighbour's Wi-Fi routers may both be auto-selecting the same "best" Wi-Fi channels; it can easily happen if their router is not seeing a strong signal from your XB6, and your XB6 is not seeing a strong signal from your neighbour's router.  However, you, on your main floor, might be seeing a strong signal from both sources and be getting an unstable connection to your XB6 as a result due to interference and/or a channel conflict.)

For #2: Once you get your in-home Wi-Fi working well, you'll still run into strange issues if your device thinks that it has good IPv6 connectivity but the underlying protocol is actually unstable.  If this is the case, you'll most likely find that it's slow establishing a connection to a web site for the first time. This could also explain why your wife's apps are failing to load even though she has a good connection to the XB6.  Here's another test: http://he.test-ipv6.com/

In my case, I always get successful IPv6 connections and never have to fall back to IPv4.  If you are falling back to IPv4 frequently, you'll need to do additional troubleshooting to figure out why the IPv6 connections are failing.

For #3: Did the tech confirm a good signal on the coax connection from the XB6 to the Rogers network, a good, strong Wi-Fi signal throughout your home that's free of interference, or both?

Best of luck in getting these issues sorted out!

Johnson29
I've Been Here Awhile

I'm living a nightmare with Ignite.  I'm experiecing the same issues you are.  Did you ever get it resolved?

If so, what happened??

Johnson29
I've Been Here Awhile

I'm am STRUGGLING and so frustrated with Ignite.  I work from home and need a stable internet connection.  The DAY Ignite was installed I consistently (every 20 min) lose my VPN connection to my work network.  It works on ALL other wifi connections except the one I pay for in my own home.  I see in the messages others have struggled with staying connected.  Rogers technicians have been absolutely USELESS and NO HELP....blaming issues on my end of course.

Same old story.  If anyone could provide some insight if they resolved connection issues please let me know!

I'm 98% ready to either go back to cable or switch providers.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Johnson29 wrote:

I'm experiecing the same issues you are.  Did you ever get it resolved?

If so, what happened??

Who is the "you" you are referring to?  What is "it" you are referring to?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Johnson29  It is possible that something about the XB6's default configuration may be the cause but it's impossible to say for sure without additional information (log files from your VPN client, etc.) about why the connection dropped and someone who is familiar with the XB6's internal firewall code/rulesets to troubleshoot this further.

I say this because I ran into a similar situation with my VoIP ATA; with the XB6 in Gateway mode, the ATA would lose its registration after a period of time.  I currently have my XB6 in bridge mode and am using my own router/firewall.  This is a totally unsupportable configuration from a Rogers perspective but everything is working normally for me again and I didn't need to resort to configuring any alternative keepalive mechanisms to maintain the connection with my VoIP provider.

COPO
I Plan to Stick Around

My connection used to drop 8-10 x’s/day until a tech guy came over and measured the signal which was fine. He escalated it and the next day Rogers found bad components in the 2 rogers street boxes up the street from me. Once they were fixed my connection drops stopped.

I also notice that if I power on my Smart TV using the TV remote I will get a lost connection message on the screen. To fix this I just press guide on the Rogers remote. I don't have this lost connection message when I power on the Smart TV using the Rogers remote.

We Want Your Opinion
Would you be interested in becoming a Community Testing Lab member?
Topic Stats