cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ignite 250u upload speed peaks at ~11 Mbps

TheDogFather
I've Been Here Awhile

I signed up for the Ignite 250u tier yesterday and it was instanned today. I am very pleased with the punctuality of the installer and the ease of installation.

Background:

I'm replacing a TPIA 25/10 Mbps DSL service and my network consists of a 24 port Cisco 2950 1Gbps switch and a Fortinet Fortigate 60D-POE Router/Firewall. The Rogers Modem (CGN3) is in Bridge mode. My Mac Pro is connected via CAT 6 at 1 Gbps Full Duplex.

Now to the problem, my download speeds exceed 250 Mbps on nearly every test (see Speet Test results below) I've run but my upload speed seems to top out around 11 Mbps. One of the main reasons I switched was the 20 Mbps upload speed Rogers claims to offer with this tier. I do a lot of remote work and 20 Mbps upload speed would make my work day a lot more enjoyable. 

Speed Test URL: http://speedcheck.rogers.com/en.html

Results: Latency 10 ms - Jitter 4 ms - Download Speed 311.53 Mbps - Upload Speed 10.70 Mbps

I'm wondering if my account may have been incorrectly provisoned. Any ideas?

Thanks,

TheDogFather

***Edited labels***

61 REPLIES 61

Re: Ignite 250u upload speed peaks at ~11 Mbps

Ok, thats very interesting, what do you get when you run a speedtest at either http://speedcheck.rogers.com/en.html or the speedtest.net Toronto Telus server.

Can you describe in detail your house cable layout.  After the Rogers cable terminates inside the house, you should have a splitter, possibly more than one connected to that after which it finally connects to your various cable modems, tv, phone, internet modem.  All of those spiltters will drop the signal level either 3.5 dB or 7 dB depending on the splitter and the port on the splitter.  The end goal is to drop the signal levels the least amount possible as the signal is split, on its way to the various cable boxes.  

The splitters themselves as installed by Rogers are rated for 50 Mhz to 1 Ghz.  Here is the Arris site for the splitters that Rogers uses:

http://www.arrisistore.com/subcat.php?cat=JC&mfg=REGAL

Looking at the numbers, it would appear that there are two 7 dB drops (educated guess) from that cable point to your previous signal levels.  That would make me think that the issue, at least for the internet modem might be to switch the splitter port that internet modem cable is connected to.  The internet modem, as far as I know is usually connected so that it is subjected to the least amount of signal drop possible, compared to the rest of the cable modems.  If you were able to indicate the number of output ports on the spiltters, and their signal drops as indicated (3.5 or 7 dB for example), if there is more than one splitter and finally where the internet modem cable is connect to (splitter and port) I would probably suggest connected it to the first splitter, using the 3.5 Db port.  That still subjects the internet modem to a drop, but not as large as 14 dB, as it is when connected in its original configuration.

jmr18m_98
I Plan to Stick Around

What I did before pulling the router information again was disconnect all other conections through my home. I only have one line now. no spliters. The cable comes in the home, i have a male to male adaptor and that cable goes to the router. All other spliters are not in use. Ran the speed test again and get the same result 57dn and 10up.

jmr18m_98
I Plan to Stick Around

forgot to mention that I dont need the spliters anymore as I dont have cable, just the internet modem so no need to hook up again.

Ok, very strange.  Try this.  Right click on the internet icon at the lower right hand corner.  Select Open Network and Sharing Center.  When that opens, left click on the Ethernet link at the center right hand side of the page.  That brings up the Ethernet Status panel.  What does it show for Speed, which is the interconnect speed with the modem?

To check the Advanced Settings for the ethernet adapter, on the Network and Sharing Center page, on the left hand side, select Change Adapter Settings.  Select the Ethernet network on the Network connections page.  Right click and select Properties.  When the Ethenet Properties page comes up, select Configure.  That brings up the Configuration page.  Select Advanced.  Scroll down to Speed and Duplex.  Have a look at what is available.  Normally its set for Auto Negotiation, which on a gigabit capable controller should mean 1 Gb/s Full Duplex.  If you looked at the other available selections you would probably see 100 Mb/s Full and Half Duplex, and possibly 10 Mb/s Full and Half Duplex. 

lastly, can you give me the exact model of the laptop and more importantly, navigate to Start.....Control Panel.....Device Manager.....Network Adapters.  Expand the Network Adapters, copy the model number data for the ethernet controller and paste that in here as well so that I can look for the controller specs.

jmr18m_98
I Plan to Stick Around

Well you know your stuff, checked out the network adaptor and you are correct mine is only 100mbps for speed, checked the settings which is set to auto, and it is rated at 100mbps. The model I have is a HP pavilon g6. model g6-1d73ca

I also have another question so I have this router it puts out 250 for banwith. My computers dont use it all. but i have several streaming tv devices and laptops as well as tablets. Does it make a difference sticking with 250 vs 60 which is all the speed i can pick-up at this point? Does more allowable banwith mean I will have less buffering issues ect if I have lots of devices running at the same time. Or should I just save my money and drop back to 60 as that is all i'm capable of receiving and it won't make a difference  on how many devices I run at that speed?