If I delete my primary yahoo.ca address from Yahoo mail will I lose my secondary Rogers address?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

If I delete my primary yahoo.ca address from Yahoo mail will I lose my secondary Rogers address?

When I first setup Rogers/Yahoo email many years ago, I happened to have a Yahoo email address and Yahoo (in its wisdom) created an account with the Yahoo.ca address as primary and my rogers.com address as secondary.  I have not used the yahoo address for years and I'd like to delete it because the Yahoo mail keeps ignoring the send default as my Rogers address and confuses people who suddenly get mail from me from this strange, to them, Yahoo address.

My question is, since Yahoo will not let me change default addresses, if I delete this account from Yahoo, what happens?  I know I will lose all of my online mail, but I can back it up first by downloading it and using the sent mail as inbox mail trick to get the sent mail as well.  However, what happens to my Rogers address when I do this?  I don't want to lose that Rogers address as it is my primary business address - however it's not my primary ROGERS email address.

I'll illustrate this below to help clarify - I have 5 Rogers email addresses:

1@rogers.com - my primary ROGERS address

2@rogers.com

3@rogers.com

4@rogers.com

5@rogers.com

When I initially setup Yahoo email online I used 2@rogers.com since that was my personal business address - the rest came later.  But because I already had a Yahoo address - even though I did not select to use it - Yahoo did this:

Primary Yahoo account

me@yahoo.ca - primary address

2@rogers.com - secondary address

I only ever use my 2@rogers.com login but it doesn't matter, Yahoo has welded these together permanently, the only thing me@yahoo.ca adds to this accoun is spam.

So if I delete this account from YAHOO MAIL am I ALSO deleting 2@roger.com FROM ROGERS?  I DON'T want that to happen.

Can I delete this account from Yahoo and then set it up again with 2@rogers.com on Yahoo ONLY as the primary address, or will Yahoo no longer accept that as a valid email address?

And since 2@rogers.com was my first setup with Yahoo, what happens to my online Yahoo logins for the other 4 accounts which I now use?  Will it figure these are all linked and delete those as well?  I don't want that to happen either.

This is a complicated question and requires an answer from someone with both Rogers and Yahoo mail expertise - not just a Rogers support technician who will not know how Yahoo works with their mail.  If only Yahoo was a better email client - ANY one would have been a better choice for Rogers - all I would need to do is change my primary address and delete the other one - oof.

Thanks

Charles

I miss @home email

***edited labels***

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: If I delete my primary yahoo.ca address from Yahoo mail will I lose my secondary Rogers address?

When you log into your Rogers / Yahoo email account page that shows all of the email accounts that are active, does the Yahoo address show up in the list?

I Plan to Stick Around

Re: If I delete my primary yahoo.ca address from Yahoo mail will I lose my secondary Rogers address?

No, I log into all my accounts separately.  I never figured out how to jump from one account to the other without logging out of one and logging into the next one.  As you know the Settings in Yahoo mail are very limited.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Right, understand.  But, one of those accounts should be a master account from which you can setup other accounts or delete accounts.  When you are in that account you should be able to see all of the sub-accounts that are connected to the master account.

I Plan to Stick Around

When I log into my primary account I only see my other Rogers accounts.  It's only the one Rogers account that has the yahoo one as a primary address.

I just spent half an hour on Rogers chat and was told that they had "migrated" my yahoo account to another of my Rogers accounts and made it secondary so I could go ahead and delete it.  When I tried to login to the yahoo delete account site I got a message that said this can't be done online, please call Rogers.  And when I logged into my Rogers account the Yahoo account was still primary - so the "technician" had done nothing.  I gave the chat session a zerio rating.