Ice Cream Sandwich for the Galaxy Note?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Yarbo
I'm Here A Lot

Ice Cream Sandwich for the Galaxy Note?

According to Samsung, they have released their version of ICS to carriers.  Versions of it have been spotted in the wild for T-Mobile, and versions of the AT&T ICS have leaked and are available as custom roms online.

I am wondering when Rogers intends to release it, because according to Samsung, Rogers HAS ICS in hand and is probably doing what ever it is they do to it before releasing it. 

Just wondering if there is an ETA as to when they may release it, or if I just root my phone and install one of the custom ICS roms out there.

******* Edit labels ********

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: Ice Cream Sandwich for the Galaxy Note?

Hello and welcome to the forums:-)

Rogers does not give any ETA on updates for any of the devices they carry. Yes Rogers does have the update ( spoke to Samsung canada) but is testing it and making sure everything works fine with whatever they add on the update. The states will get the update before we do. This is something that has been going on for years. So Rogers will not comment or give any date or time when the update will be available to us.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello and welcome to the forums:-)

Rogers does not give any ETA on updates for any of the devices they carry. Yes Rogers does have the update ( spoke to Samsung canada) but is testing it and making sure everything works fine with whatever they add on the update. The states will get the update before we do. This is something that has been going on for years. So Rogers will not comment or give any date or time when the update will be available to us.

View solution in original post

Achilles
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Based on what source you two know Rogers has ICS for the Note & Skyrocket? Link please or it didn't happen 🙂
Also, Android and smartphones in general aren't that old so it can't be "years" since American always gets updates before us.
Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

How are you supposed to post a link if it was over the phone.. :/.. Also i can email them and see if they say the same and if they do i can post it.. I wouldnt sit here and give the wrong info like some people do.. Also i know for sure Rogers has it seeing as all the carriers have the update in their hands. Rogers just takes their time if updates and releases them whenever they want without giving any ETA to us. I am sure if you read threads in the Blackberry and Windows section you will see it.

Not really. Rogers can take months and even up to a year if they want to release a update to us. Look at the blackberries. Rogers has yet to update them and they are almost a year old. Americans get the updates faster because they carriers care about their customers, unlike the Canadian ones.

Achilles
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Thanks Meow! I believe you. I don't think the Americans "care" about their customers I believe it's the fact that there's way more competition there then there is here. Ever heard an American saying they love ATT? 😉 I hope it won't be a year after US gets ICS that Rogers releases it to us 😞 Oh well
Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Agreed. Also ATT & Verizon seems to want to send out the updates out to their customers. Yes they have a higher demand & all but so does Canada. It seems like the Canadian carriers really do not want to give us the updates.

I hope so to seeing as honestly if Rogers will take months to update a phone then ill just have to start rooting & start adding the original software from the manufacturer..
ShadNuke
I Plan to Stick Around

Rogers had the Gingerbread update before it was released to at&t in the US. So your info is a bit off. I just wish they would stop putting apps on the phones that can clearly not be used on all devices or in all provinces. Just let me remove what i want and add the apps that i want. I technically do OWN my phone!
Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

If you check the history Canadian carriers release updates way after the states does. Once or twice Rogers released updates beforwe ATT BUT history will prove that the states carriers release updates before the Canadian ones do. Rogers has yet released any updates for the new blackberries yet every other carrier that has the phones released them. This shows Rogers is slow on updates. Also read threw threads and post on here to see it for ur self that the states release update before we get them.
Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Update. Samsung Canada announced that 4.0 update for the Galaxy Note will be coming as soon as today BUT its up to the carrier when they will release it. More info :

http://mobilesyrup.com/2012/04/30/samsung-canada-says-android-os-4-0-upgrade-will-be-available-today...
ShadNuke
I Plan to Stick Around

Rogers has to add it's utterly useless bloatware to the rom that Samsung handed to them. The reason it takes so long is because once Rogers adds their stupid apps, it opens a hole somewhere else in the OS. It's kinda like patching Windows.... You add a patch to fix i hole, but in turn it opens up 3 more security faults and so on and so on...... It's like using bubble gum to fix a dam. The water will find another path to go. If Rogers would just allow us to download the apps they think we NEED, on our own, the wireless world of Rogers would be a respected and better place to be. We don't have the choice like the Americans do when it comes to wireless providers and that's a goods thing. Take the good with the bad..... More bad than good usually, but that's the way it is. Rogers sites what they do because we don't have something else to choose from. I'm only here because Bell isn't available in Manitoba yet, and MTS has the lamest choices in phones available in the world! Until things change, were stuck! So the right thing to do would be to cater to us so we don't change our minds, and keep us as customers in the long run, wouldn't it?